Large HDD partition config, Xecuter2 4983.67 on 128MB board

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
spicemuseum

Large HDD partition config, Xecuter2 4983.67 on 128MB board

Post by spicemuseum »

I have a v1.4 with 128MB RAM and X2 4938.67 flashed into the TSOP.

I have installed a 500GB HDD into it.

I asked HeXEn to:
- split F and G equally, ~230 gig on each
and when that gave an odd outcome (see below)
- put it all, ~450 gig, on F
which also gave the same odd outcome.

Odd outcome: running HeXEn to do the hard work rebuilding me a new PAL HDD from scratch, on completion it reported the partitions correctly in its dashboard when I did each of the above. But after rebooting the box to XBMC, that reported 120gig on F and nothing on G each time. I'm therefore sure that this is likely related to the X2 BIOS (used because it's a 128MB board).

Relevant Q's I'd appreciate an answer to from you knowledgable people:
- What partition arrangement will work and allow me access to the entire HDD*?
- Should I use a different tool than the XBPartitioner incl. on HeXEn to get a better outcome?
- Is there an alternative BIOS which will provide me with 128MB RAM support but give me the right LBA48 support it looks like I may need?
- Are there other Q's I should have asked instead? ...if so can you also tell me the answers whilst you're at it :-)

(*BTW, I'm wondering whether I will get the answer that only up to 137GB can be put onto F and the rest must go on G, and whether this might be why XBMC is reporting 120 gig on F. And therefore I should ask XBP to configure the partitions according to that. But let's see...)
blighty

Re: Large HDD partition config, Xecuter2 4983.67 on 128MB bo

Post by blighty »

if i recall corectly you need to setup partitions with xbpartitioner 1.0 and format with 1.1
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

X2.4983 is an odd BIOS, in that you can't edit it. From memory, it also has some oddities when reading on-disk partition tables (and I suspect that your footnote is correct.. :)), but, to be honest, it's so long since I looked at it that I'd only be guessing.

Your best bet is to wait for someone with a 128MB board and a large hard drive to explain how they formatted the drive.

In the meantime, try 137GB F and the rest in G - I'm fairly certain that should work, and you have nothing to lose. :)
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Heimdall wrote:X2.4983 is an odd BIOS, in that you can't edit it. From memory, it also has some oddities when reading on-disk partition tables (and I suspect that your footnote is correct.. :)), but, to be honest, it's so long since I looked at it that I'd only be guessing.

Your best bet is to wait for someone with a 128MB board and a large hard drive to explain how they formatted the drive.

In the meantime, try 137GB F and the rest in G - I'm fairly certain that should work, and you have nothing to lose. :)
It doesn't :-(, XBP complains about LBA48 support, let's you try it anyway, and afterwards back in XBMC (or indeed HeXEn) it's back to ~123gig on F and 0 (zero) / unavailable for G.
Any recommendations for an alternative BIOS for this use case?

**EDIT**
So I decided to change BIOS to X2.4981.67.

After a bit of mucking about with XBP (deliberately asking it to share F and G equally, then afterwards asking it to put 120 on F and the rest on G, ...and it complaining about LBA48 at each opportunity) it's working! :-) I've got a large G drive.