Seagate 1TB Upgrade: XBox Microsoft Boot Freeze

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Well this is new (for me at least)... I just put a new 1TB Seagate drive onto an xbox... the xbox boots to "XBOX Microsoft" boot screen but it does nothing after that... however, if I have game disc inside, it boots the game disc just fine; if i press the eject button whilst at the "XBOX Microsoft" boot screen and insert a game disc, it boots it up just fine; if I eject the game disc, it goes back to the "XBOX Microsoft" boot screen but it does nothing at all.

Any thoughts?! I'm stumped!... using the splinter cell, i can see the saved "linux" exploit, if I go to start the game and attempt to load the "linux" game save exploits, it freezes... WTF!!!

I have been unable to see if HEXEN will boot but can't find the stupid CD and I don't have a burner on hand... if and when i find it, i'll post back.
xboxprince

Re: Seagate 1TB Upgrade: XBox Microsoft Boot Freeze

Post by xboxprince »

If you have money get a modchip, I know there are still a Hugh of Aladdin and xecuter 2 modchips floating around.
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
xman

Post by xman »

Ow I've been there before Dom. In my efforts to get big arsed HDDs working was a chore to say the least. I've only done chipped hardmods myself so I'm of no use in regards to your softmod but a couple of things that may help you. I went through 4 different brands of 1TB sata HDDs before I found that only Seagate HDDs would work with my adapter I was using. Every other brand, Hitachi, Western Digital and two others I can't remember simply would not work at all. To test them I was simply putting in a Slayers Install disc and doing a format of a Large HDD and then seeing if it would actually boot with that HDD. The 1st 3 did not after testing each brand several times until I "lucked on a Seagate". It worked flawlessly, (with my brand and type of sata to IDE adapter), even though the clusters hadn't been changed but this actually proved the HDD was at least compatible. From there I proceeded to format the HDD correctly and so on and this is still the combo I use today. As for the modchip I use for the big arsed HDD machines, Aladdins and for two reasons, there cheap and it actually says it handles up to 2TB HDDs. I found no other modchip that actually made any mention of being able to handle up to 2TB HDDs back then. The bios I use in the Aladdins is always an M8 bios and not just any M8 bios, the ones that are on the Slayer's 2.7 disc meaning they are not the latest M8 bios made that handle both 1.0-1.6 Xboxes. They are the M8 bioses that have a different bios for the two types, 1.0-1.5 and a totally different bios for 1.6 models. For some reason these bioses work so much better for "my big HDD combination". This combo will reliably boot in 10-12 seconds. I have done over 40 of these machines for customers and all use this combo and I have not had one failure "yet" and believe me, if they do I will hear about it as these machines sort of went with "Life time Warranties" as they went to friends mainly. I know your outta the US and it would cost some cash as my units I still have are all brand new but if your absolutely stuck, consider what your prepared to pay for a brand new 1 or 2TB Seagate HDD with a known to work and tested adapter with a Aladdin modchip with a bios ready to go plus shipping. The HDD will be clustered so all you need to do is solder in the pinheader,( I supply), push the modchip on it, plug the adapter onto the HDD, hook up the IDE Xbox cable to it and start using it. It will all definitely work because I will use that modchip and that adapter to setup the HDD clustering. Don't take to long as I only have 3 combo sets left if your interested of coarse. Otherwise, I wish you luck mate and hope you succeeded because big arsed HDD Xboxes are amazing.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Try sticking an 80-wire IDE in there.

It was a game changer in my 2TB. When I skipped the XBOX intro my xbox likewise wouldnt boot. BIOS settings aren't your case because you're softmodded. Let us know.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Dom DXecutioner wrote:
Any thoughts?! I'm stumped!... using the splinter cell, i can see the saved "linux" exploit, if I go to start the game and attempt to load the "linux" game save exploits, it freezes... WTF!!!
If you try and run a softmod on top of a softmod it will freeze, you will be able to find out more if you find your boot disc or burn a new one. my boot discs always end up getting left in spare drives i have lying around so i would check them if you have any :)
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

Thanks for the suggestions; I haven't tried anything as of yet, helpfully I'll do something ever the weekend!

@xman: seems that seagates do, indeed, work best when upgrading HDD's.

I've never owned a chip modded xbox, though I've been considering one... More specifically, the white one with blue LED from one of the members here :). I've also been contemplating a 128MB, 1.4GHz, but dang, that price! :/