Xbox Modchip Help?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Hodge92

Xbox Modchip Help?

Post by Hodge92 »

Hello everyone, I need some help on a Xbox with a modchip. I will provide a photo of the modchip as I have no idea which chip it is. My main problem is I am trying to flash a different bios to the chip as I need LBA48 but write protection is enabled. Slayers tells me that the bios is unknown and so does Bioschecker. How would I go about sorting this?
Thanks!
Attachments
Xbox modchip.
Xbox modchip.
Nextelhalo

Re: Xbox Modchip Help?

Post by Nextelhalo »

That sir is a DUOX2 modchip. Great little chips and reliable. It has two 512k banks to use. Looks like you've got a 1.0-1.5 xbox so you'll need to flash it with a bios for that version. I recommend using X2_5035 as a bios. I've never known of a write protect switch on these chips, just a bank switch. Try using Hexen or Slayers 2.98 to flash it and see what those do.

EDIT: so after looking at it closer it's not a DUOX2, but a DUOX? I"ve never seen that honestly, there's no bank switch that I can see so it's maybe just a 512k or 256k chip? Does that red LED on the top of the chip light up when the xbox is powered on?

More info, looks like you have to bridge two pads together to make the chip writeable. Should be simple enough to drop some solder on there. You've got a DUOX v1
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/duox/duox_v1.0.jpg

More info on your chip, remember it's a v1, 3rd chip from the left
http://xbox-scene.com/modchips3b_table.htm
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Hodge92

Post by Hodge92 »

Yeah it does light up Red when I enable the chip (power on, no eject). What do I bridge together? I've never done anything like that before :o
asbo

Post by asbo »

Hodge92 wrote:What do I bridge together? I've never done anything like that before :o
Heat up your soldering iron and melt a little solder across those 2 points, give them a clean first.
Hodge92

Post by Hodge92 »

Did all that and slayers froze while I flashing a bios and now it's dead :/
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Unlucky :-(.

Still, you've got a v1.0-v1.5 xbox.
Suggest you remove/disable the modchip, softmod and flash the TSOP (assuming the TSOP isn't also stuffed-up).
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Agreed from above. Time to TSOP flash that XBOX and you'll have the same functionality as the chip would have given you. Looks like one of your TSOP points is untouched so I bet your ready to go, just research the TSOP flashing first so you dont flash the wrong version or sized BIOS.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched