Internal DVD dongle issues

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
AwesomeNurd

Internal DVD dongle issues

Post by AwesomeNurd »

Hi,
I did an internal DVD dongle with a relay switch a month ago in a crystal clear Xbox, I placed the IR eye in front, next to the DVD tray where there is a clear spot, it works but I have problems sometimes. The IR-Remote is always recognized under the system info and if I plug in a controller it switches to gamepad without an issue.
The main issue I am facing is that sometimes when you turn on the console, the DVD remote doesn't work at all, or maybe after some time, and sometimes it works only if the remote is really close to the IR eye, like 20cm or so, I'm really confused :D
xman

Re: Internal DVD dongle issues

Post by xman »

Check the contact material the relay uses. You may have used a relay designed for switching high current and at low voltage, these contacts have to much resistance thus dropping the voltage needed to run the IR receiver. You'd be wanting a relay that uses silver or gold as it's contact material designed for switching logic level voltages.
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I used one like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0790392759

Since I updated to 3.5 Beta 1 earlier, everything works without an issue, I don't know if this could be a software issue? I highly doubt it but the remote works flawlessly now :)
Thank you Xman
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Hi mate, hope its solid for you now but thought i'd add certain times of the day sunlight (low winter sun) seems to have more intense infrared light to play havoc and LED/other energy saving light bulbs sometimes interfere with the infrared signal, especially it seems with an exposed receiver (not in its dongle case). Eg in a crystal case there are many entry points and random shaped transparent surfaces for the infrared light (from remote and background) to get bounced around, refracted, distorted etc.
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

Hey mate,
Thanks for the info about the infrared :D I didn't know about all these factors :D It's solid now and I am really happy about it :) I will install a second one for a black console, I just need to find the right spot for the IR eye without drilling the case :D Xman suggested many spots in a previous post of mine, I will try to figure out what's best for the performance :)

Cheers
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

No worries mate, I've been there thinking wtf it was working fine earlier, then turn out the energy saving bulb and it works fine. Or shut the curtains and it works fine another time lol. It was a crystal x3lcd, with x3ir. Had to shield the reciever from all sides except the lense and it was fine :-)
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

with what did you shield it?? :-D
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

Some random bit of black plastic I drilled a hole in for the ir lense :-D
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I'll try to do that :)