HDMI Out for original XBOX

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xboxprince

Re: HDMI Out for original XBOX

Post by xboxprince »

I have yet to complete this mod correctly and have since kill two boards (rip 1.6 & 1.1/1.0). :(

HELP...
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

Which pcb from which Converter is that?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

what is screen calibration like with these adapters?

I am looking to fit Linux to my HD output once and for all. aside from a VGA mod (which may only do 800x600 anyhow), is this a possible method to getting 720p output in Linux without overscan?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I have purchased two different converters in trying to get one suitable to use in the xbox that has coax or toslink input for audio.

I have come across the same problem that they seem to be of the same construction and have extruded aluminium cases and don't have holes in the circuit board for mounting them nicely like the op's picture.

I think the one pictured will be the easyiest to install but is missing digital audio.

so i will look at making some studs up to solder to the circuit board to install the one I have.

Would the flat ribbon style cables as used in the cr3pro etc suitable to carry video signals from the audio port of the xbox ?
I know they are used for usb signals on the demon kits but i dont know much about analogue video signals?

I looked at making a qsb and putting a micro controller on it so it sits over the video connector pins underneath the motherboard and it will automatically select component mode if a device is not plugged in the video socket and I would need something slim to fit between the shielding and motherboard to carry video signals up to the adaptor and I don't know if a flat ribbon would be suitable.

My alternative would be to use rg316 (same stuff used in the ipex cable's in laptop wifi aerial) but it would have to come up infront of the fan by the cpu and a ribbon would be so much tidyier solution as it could come up at the back between the network socket and the video socket?

If i could make a qsb up it would make it a lot easier to do such a mod, and as tv's are starting to loose component inputs it would be a neat solution. the alternative is to solder to the top of the board to the encoder chip but the pitch of the pins makes this almost impossible.

What do you guys think ?
xman

Post by xman »

professor_jonny wrote:
Would the flat ribbon style cables as used in the cr3pro etc suitable to carry video signals from the audio port of the xbox ?
I know they are used for usb signals on the demon kits but i dont know much about analogue video signals?
How about running the ribbon cable on the outside of the cage and stick it in place using silver insulation tape used for holding insulation in walls, which conducts power, and that would increase the cage's shielding ability over the top of your analog cables?. If you don't want to solder to the AVI connector pins, there are other points on the board that have the same signal on them. Look at the SickMods Sound Activated LED drive kits and on there diagram they use alternative points to pick up the left and right audio channel signals. Maybe these would be of use and more convenient.
professor_jonny

b9b9b9 wrote:Any news about the tutorial?
Just need to know from where to get the YPbPr/Audio signals and the power supply....
this may be of help to you
1 Vcc
2 Audio Right
3 Audio Left
4 GND (for pin 2(Audio Right))
5 GND (for pin 3(Audio Left))
6 SP-DIF Digital Audio
7 H Sync (VGA Mode)
8 V-Sync (VGA Mode)
9 Mode Select 1
10 GND (for pin 9(Mode 1))
11 Mode Select 2
12 GND (for pin 11 (Mode 2))
13 Mode Select 3
14 GND (for pin 13(Mode 3))
15 +12v
16 GND
17 GND (For pin 19 (Svideo CR and Component PR))
18 Variable (Comonennt PB)
19 Variable (Svideo Cr and component PR)
20 GND (for Pin 22(Svideo LU and Component Y)
21 GND (for Pin 23(Composite))
22 Variable (Svideo LU and Component Y)
23 Variable (Composite)
24 GND (Pin 6(digital audio))

I believe all grounda are tied to function ground so you could use the same terminal for all your grounds.
xbox avip pinout
xbox avip pinout
professor_jonny

This is what I come up with with a quick hack up it probally wont fit as i just went off pictures on the net at the connector pin out.

It possibly needs a reset pin so that if you reboot the xbox it will look for a new av set if it changed and the ground plane is ready to join to the rg316 cable with minimal effort in soldering.

The micro could be connected to a binary or 3 position switch to make things easier in selecting an av pack mode you could use the inputs to detect the av pack selected then flip them to outputs if no ground is detected after reset to automatically select a specific pack type if nothing is plugged in.
avipqsb.jpg
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

professor_jonny wrote:This is what I come up with with a quick hack up it probally wont fit as i just went off pictures on the net at the connector pin out.

It possibly needs a reset pin so that if you reboot the xbox it will look for a new av set if it changed and the ground plane is ready to join to the rg316 cable with minimal effort in soldering.

The micro could be connected to a binary or 3 position switch to make things easier in selecting an av pack mode you could use the inputs to detect the av pack selected then flip them to outputs if no ground is detected after reset to automatically select a specific pack type if nothing is plugged in.
avipqsb.jpg
I'm assuming that just solders over the AV pins? like a quick solder job, if so I will buy one if you get them made.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

Rocky5 wrote: I'm assuming that just solders over the AV pins? like a quick solder job, if so I will buy one if you get them made.
yip that was the plan just something cheap and tidy to make it easy to install pre wired with wifi cable on it ready to remove the plugs hdmi converter at the other end and solder the rg316 directly to the converter.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Thats excellent PJ.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
professor_jonny

This is what i come up with as a program

I have done it in picaxe basic so any one could make it at home all you need as a 14m2 starter kit.
http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/Starter- ... rter-Pack/

If I made these in the future I would use the 150 mil / 3.81 mm SOIC 14m2 chip as opposed to the through hole version.

Ill try to make a tutiorial and wiring diagram in the holidays :-)

Code: Select all

'XBOX AVIP selector:
'By professor_jonny
'program to automatically set a  default av pack type if no av pack
'is plugged into the xbox at boot up.

{ ;Symbols
symbol varA = b0
symbol varB = b1
symbol varC = b2
symbol varD = b3
symbol varE = b4
symbol varF = b5
symbol varG = b6
symbol varH = b7
symbol varI = b8
symbol varJ = b9
symbol varK = b10
symbol varL = b11
symbol varM = b12
symbol varN = b13
symbol varO = b14
symbol varP = b15
symbol varQ = b16
symbol varR = b17
symbol varS = b18
symbol varT = b19
symbol varU = b20
symbol varV = b21
symbol varTEMPBYTE1 = b22
symbol varTEMPBYTE2 = b23
symbol varTEMPBYTE3 = b24
symbol varTEMPBYTE4 = b25
symbol varTEMPBYTE5 = b26
symbol varTEMPBYTE6 = b27
symbol varTEMPWORD1 = w11
symbol varTEMPWORD2 = w12
symbol varTEMPWORD3 = w13
}

main:
Start:

pullup %00000111						'enable internal pullup resistors
									'on port c pins
	input B.1, B.2, B.3 					'Set mode select pins as inputs

pause 200							'wait .2 sec before checking
	if pinB.3=0 AND pinB.4=0 AND pinB.5=0 then 	'if no AV pack is plugged in

goto AVpack_not_detected
	end if

goto Xbox_reset_Check					'Pack detected wait for Xbox reset
									'to check for new pack

AVpack_not_detected:						'Check mode select jumpers 
									'and set aproprate pack type

output B.1, B.2, B.3					'Set mode select terminals
									'as outputs

if pinC.0=1 AND pinC.1=1 AND pinC.2=0 then	'Mode 110 standard AV jumper select

goto Set_standard_AV_pack
	end if
	if pinC.0=1 AND pinC.1=0 AND pinC.2=0 then	'Mode 100 advanced AV jumper select

goto Set_advanced_AV_pack
	end if
	if pinC.0=0 AND pinC.1=0 AND pinC.2=1 then	'Mode 001 component AV jumper select

goto Set_component_AV_pack
	end if
	if  pinC.0=1 AND pinC.1=1 AND pinC.2=0 then	'Mode 010 VGA AV jumper select

goto Set_VGA_AV_pack
	end if
	if pinC.0=0 AND pinC.1=0 AND pinC.2=0 then	'Mode 000 RGB AV jumper select

goto Set_RGB_AV_pack
	end if
	goto Set_component_AV_pack				'if no jumper is selected select
									'Mode 110 component AV 

Set_standard_AV_pack:						'Set mode 110 standard AV

high B.1, B.2
	low B.3

goto Xbox_reset_Check

Set_advanced_AV_pack:						'Set mode 100 Advanced AV

high B.1
	low B.2, B.3

goto Xbox_reset_Check

Set_component_AV_pack:						''Set mode 001 component AV

high B.3
	low B.1, B.2

goto Xbox_reset_Check

Set_VGA_AV_pack:							'Set mode 010 VGA AV

high B.2
	low B.1, B.3

goto Xbox_reset_Check

Set_RGB_AV_pack:							'Set mode 000 RGB AV

low B.1, B.2, B.3

goto Xbox_reset_Check

Xbox_reset_Check:
	if pinC.3=1 then						'If Xbox is reset restart pack check

goto Start
	end if

goto Xbox_reset_Check

#no_data	'reduce download time
xman

Post by xman »

Just curios why you wouldn't just solder direct to the AVI connector pins leading to the connector from the Xbox mother board and solder in a link in the connector so component is always available at the plug and HDMI available at the component to HDMI converter box mounted inside the Xbox or am I missing something here?. I do like the board idea but if you solder direct you could have two video outputs, one HDMI and one component available at once. By soldering in the component link, you will still get the component output at the AVI plug required for the feed to the HDMI converter box with a component lead plugged into the machine or not. Either way, I think this idea has a lot of merit as more T.V.s are HDMI input only and component is becoming harder to find on modern T.V.s.
professor_jonny

What it will do is select a default pack type if you dont plug something in the back if you plug something in the back it will operate as normal.

You can set the pack it will select if a plug is not plugged in by jumpers on the circuit board no more mode select switches it is all automatic.

If you just soldered in a link to the av socket you can only use that output format and the socket is basically useless from then on for any other types, the video encoder chip can only output one format at a time any way.

I'm looking at adding buffered h and v sync signals which will make it universal but spage is an issue under the xbox motherboard and the pins to solder to to get the signals are very tiny vias.

I'm not knocking any one work but i have come across some setup's that could be done better and this could be an answer as it will have shielded coax to bring the video and audio signals up top no extra wiring switches or any thing.
xman

Post by xman »

Arr nice PJ. I totally trust your judgement, I was just curios why you were making a board and it being PicAxe powered.
professor_jonny

So I have spent a bit more time and added buffered h and v sync signals for vga output and made it so it actually fits on a 1.0-1.1 xbox I dont know if it would fit others I dont have any other models to look at.

I have a micro to be able to test the program operates correctly and check the signal voltages and i hope to bread board it all up to check it all works while im on holiday
model.jpg
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

professor_jonny wrote:So I have spent a bit more time and added buffered h and v sync signals for vga output and made it so it actually fits on a 1.0-1.1 xbox I dont know if it would fit others I dont have any other models to look at.

I have a micro to be able to test the program operates correctly and check the signal voltages and i hope to bread board it all up to check it all works while im on holiday
model.jpg
sweet man im definently up to purchasing one of these once its all finished and stuff, have you thought about prices and stuff?
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
professor_jonny

here is a 3d model I could not add the soic i need a better graphics card or my computer is running out of ram as it crashed but it gives you the general idea.

I have not thaught about pricing or as such it is a concept at the moment, it should not be too expencive I dont know really.
model.png
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Sweet so it will use the little clip on wires that internal wifi cards use?

Clip onto the device under the board & solder onto the converter box.

Plug & play! (Well if you have the device already prepped)

Hit me up when you get some made & I will buy a few.

Will they come preprogrammed?
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

Yes the little wifi connectors under the board with pigtail up top maybe to a plug like this on the other end?
space may be an issue with this but it is an option:
Ufl to rca.png
If i do get around to making them it will be all premade and programmed.

I have looked at the possibility of making a ypbpr to hdmi converter inside that would fit somewhere in the xbox perfectly but I dont believe there is a all in one chip to do this it looks to techy for me.
professor_jonny

So I have done a bit of tweaking and I think I have now come up with a design that will fit all xbox boards.

I picked up a 1.4 yesterday and a have a 1.1 here and they are almost identical around the avip connector.
From what pictures I have found on the net the xbox v1.6 have plenty of space around them so the one device will fit all xboxes.

I have also knocked up a vga and component break out board options to acompany it as i know how hard it is to get a component cable of a resonable quality.
video adaptor.png
xbox vga plug .png
component_board_3d.png
Untitled.png
Im now looking for somewhere to get these made does any one have some recomendations of somewhere cheap but good?

I have tried local firm I know (in NZ) and they want far to much to to make them.

any ideas or any one can recommend a service ?
Last edited by professor_jonny on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.