Trusty 1ghz Xbox owners here?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
N64 freak

Trusty 1ghz Xbox owners here?

Post by N64 freak »

Hi,
just wanted to ask if somebody around here has an 1ghz modded Xbox by trusty.
Would like to ask someone who has one a few questions abut the hardware.
Really nothing to fancy and easy to answer questions even if you don't have to much knowledge about the hardware!

I just need to get the last bit of information about the 1ghz upgrade. That should help me to get it to run at native 1000mhz.
Just for youre information the soldering is not the problem, i already did 2 boards but they seem to run at only 933mhz!

Does anybody know what i'm missing?

Image Image
mrmajikbus45

Re: Trusty 1ghz Xbox owners here?

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
r32crazy01

Post by r32crazy01 »

Because it is a laptop cpu its running Intel's speedstep technology, and by default clocks down slightly.

I remember a post on Xbox Sence when I was researching the cpu upgrade where Trusty mentions he had to modify pins/solder balls for the speedstep.

Perhaps there is a pdf on Intel's site with speedstep pin info for the 495 mobile socket.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

WOW! fair play to you!

Niiiice mod! :D
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

The speed, atleast on my 1GHZ, fluctuates quite a bit from the mid 900MHZ to the high 900mhz's.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

It appears the CPU frequency is calculated so I'm not sure how accurate that is in the first place - see CSysInfo::GetCPUFrequency()
https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... emInfo.cpp

But it makes sense to go up and down if it's got SpeedStep, although I thought that could be controlled through software as well - Windows controls it through power profiles and I believe Linux has a command line utility too. On the other hand, having it run a full speed all the time will likely raise the temperature.

I think it's fairly easy to have it run at full speed if you can write a quick Python script that loops around indefinitely and makes some basic calculation, keeping the CPU busy should keep the frequency high. That would be an interesting experiment, will show you what the max frequency might be and even the higher temperatures it could get to before doing the hardware mod to disable SpeedStep. Let me know if you need a hand with the Python script.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Dan Dar3 wrote:It appears the CPU frequency is calculated so I'm not sure how accurate that is in the first place - see CSysInfo::GetCPUFrequency()
https://svn.exotica.org.uk:8443/xbmc4xb ... emInfo.cpp

But it makes sense to go up and down if it's got SpeedStep, although I thought that could be controlled through software as well - Windows controls it through power profiles and I believe Linux has a command line utility too.
Yep. There are various different Kernel space and user space solutions for it. I use kernel space modules, and the GUI CPU freq monitor, on my server and desktops. http://www.pantz.org/software/cpufreq/u ... linux.html
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

Thanks for all the Help!
Got a few replies that helped me out quite well.
Long story short:

I count this as a full success!
What do you think?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

N64 freak wrote:I count this as a full success!
What do you think?
Brilliant! Can we have the long version of the story?
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

Okay, the long story is just about technical research.
After getting frustrated with the 933mhz Problem i dropped the work on it.
I got help from the user NextHalo who has shown me that his xbox has exactly the same visible mod's.
So i was sure with the Modell of the CPU and so on but i missed some modification that you can't see.
just a hint, they are hidden under the CPU!
I had to cut 2 traces and set one connection between two pins. The xbox now reads 1000mhz.

So summarized i just missed to disable speedstep and get the xbox to read the FSB correct.
nayparm

Post by nayparm »

That is awsome work mate, a massive pat on the back :-)
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

yep very impressive work!

Congratulations! I've not seen this done outside Trusty's workshop....

Is that the fastest board mount CPU? Not sure if it would be massively noticeable but must smooth things along! more grunt is always a good thing!

You got many CPU's?
N64 freak

Post by N64 freak »

Well, yes it is the fastest CPU with a micro-bga495 socket.
Trusty still does the 1,4ghz upgrade. But he uses an microbga495 to socket370 adapter to get it mounted.
If i would be able to get ahold of one or two of them i would love to try that as well.
But for the original socket 1ghz is maxed out!

Got a second cpu here with me so i will upgrade one more in the near future.
If anyone wants me to test any differnce in XBMC or any test in performance increases just let me know.
AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

Yeah I'm curious about the improvement that 1GHZ CPU + 128MB Ram can give in term of playback, especially for 720p content, if it's possible to read 720p X264 files without compression or so.
What temperatures do you get with the upgradded CPU by the way?

Keep up the good work :)
r32crazy01

Post by r32crazy01 »

Amazing work, very nice mod
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

AwesomeNurd wrote:Yeah I'm curious about the improvement that 1GHZ CPU + 128MB Ram can give in term of playback, especially for 720p content, if it's possible to read 720p X264 files ...
Well, let's talk about playback.
This is exactly what I'm interested to see also, what H.264 number crunching uplift is provided by the increased clock speed. The obvious benchmarks being that iPlayer (BBC, UK only :-( ) at 1500Kbps (832x468) is right on the limit for a standard xbox when image action gets busy. And feature length (~2h) films at 720p (1280x720) resolution of more than about 500~600Mb total file size will drop frames all over the show.

So, how does a typical 700mb (CD size) x264 film rip play?

BTW, which processor did you use, this one?
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-I ... 56%29.html

And finally, can you post up some pictures of the mod, specifically the speedstep circuit changes?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I did bench mark tests with 480p and 720p with a standard xbox and with a 1.4ghz one by enabling the codec test setting in the mplayer core and the results were not much better, but i have not tried the tests with the fixed cashemembuffer and core improvments buzz has done or recent.

a while back after the linux boss man gave nvida the royal solute they started playing nicely and are now offering to help the linux community with drivers, in timewe may see some of the gpu opcodes and registers and possibly some of the long winded cpu calc's could be passed onto the much faster fpu/gpu in the nv2a chip 720p could be more of a reality.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/n ... 14480.html
spicemuseum

NV change of heart

Post by spicemuseum »

professor_jonny wrote:a while back after the linux boss man gave nvida the royal solute they started playing nicely and are now offering to help the linux community with drivers, in timewe may see some of the gpu opcodes and registers and possibly some of the long winded cpu calc's could be passed onto the much faster fpu/gpu in the nv2a chip 720p could be more of a reality.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/n ... 14480.html
Good grief, that's an interesting development - worthy of a new thread.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Hmmm is it 100Mhz bus speed? or 133?
professor_jonny

Re: NV change of heart

Post by professor_jonny »

spicemuseum wrote:Good grief, that's an interesting development - worthy of a new thread.
Not really for us but for the noveau team somewhat intresting but of yet nividia is still looking at keeping their firmware closed with binary cores for the linux developers.

This info possibly will never see the light of day due to liscencing agreements but may be of a simular nature to the nv11 chipset.

this could be intresting to some of the developers over at emu1 as some of the emulator cores there have been optimised in assembly and maybe some of their magic work could be optimised in the fpu/gpu in the nv2a futher progressing the emulators on the xbox i think madmab has optimised some of the various cores in assembly.