Trusty 1ghz Xbox owners here?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Geeba

Re: Trusty 1ghz Xbox owners here?

Post by Geeba »

Hmmm pretty sure the PIII range topped out at 133Mhz.

The Tualatin 1.4Ghz / 512 /133 was the fastest PIII made....

http://ark.intel.com/products/27525/Int ... 33-MHz-FSB

It was faster than the first P4's released at the time...
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Any good? :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-Intel-P3 ... 3f2e98d1f7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SL5XL-Compaq- ... 4177f3a605

Can't work out which compaq part number is the same, either this: -

http://www.impactcomputers.com/252353-001.html

or this: -

http://www.impactcomputers.com/259594-001.html

Think it's the second one, if so there are a couple on eBay
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

I've got a ton of Tualatin CPU's 1.4Ghz - the issue is getting them on the board as the pins are different....

Thats why I linked to this...

http://www.fuzing.com/vli/0000045bb225/ ... de-Adapter

But of course it needs the necessary adapter fixing to the xbox board first... something only Trusty has done before...

Those adapters are made by 'Friendtech' the people that made the DreamX
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

Hey guys, I think I may have figured out what the three modifications are that will make this upgrade possible.

I got this from this section of the Intel document
"An operating mode transition to the high core frequency can be made by setting GHI# low, putting the processor into the Deep Sleep state, regulating to the new VID output, and returning to the Normal state. This puts
the processor into the high core frequency, or ?Maximum Performance? operating mode."

So I have figured out that in order to put GHI# low, I need to connect GHI# to VSS (ground), which will regulate the VID output I need for maximum performance operating mode. In order to return the processor to "normal state" the intel document states that you need to de-assert the "stpclk signal". So in other words, cut the signal, by cutting the trace. This is what it says in the document about returning to normal state.

"A transition back to the Normal state can be made by the deassertion of the STPCLK# signal or the occurrence of a stop break event (a BINIT# or RESET# assertion)."

So, I think I got the first two modifications correct, and I am left with the final modification. I believe this to be de-asserting the 'blck" signal. I got this from this picture in the Intel document. Where it looks like it is saying that if the "blck" signal is stopped than the processor will be in "deep sleep state".

So this is the three modifications that I believe I am suppose to make in order to get the processor in the "maximum performance/Deep sleep state" and will result in the Xbox reading 1ghz processor speed.

What do you guys think, am I correct? Or do I at least have some of the modifications correct?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

joining those pins does not effect the vrm's core voltage the cpu has no control over this that is done externally in a pc controlled via the smc.

i dont know if you need to worry about the last one as the smc holds the cpu in reset on startup until the power is cleen so it will run full clock from startup possibly.
professor_jonny

Geeba wrote:I've got a ton of Tualatin CPU's 1.4Ghz - the issue is getting them on the board as the pins are different....

But of course it needs the necessary adapter fixing to the xbox board first... something only Trusty has done before...

that adaptor is of no use the motherboard is not a socket 370 it is a microbga 495 or something like that. that board just has a frequency doublier or something to make the cpu operate in older motherboard with locked multiplier/ max frequency.

we need a bga 495 to socket 370 and you will find it is a straight adaptor no funky electronics as they are pin for pin compatable just a different pin pattern.
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

professor_jonny wrote:joining those pins does not effect the vrm's core voltage the cpu has no control over this that is done externally in a pc controlled via the smc.

i dont know if you need to worry about the last one as the smc holds the cpu in reset on startup until the power is cleen so it will run full clock from startup possibly.
Thanks for you response. So you think that I am wrong with all three modifications? I know N64 freak said that he made 3 modifications. He cut two traces and joined two pads. What else could it be?
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

professor_jonny wrote:
Geeba wrote:I've got a ton of Tualatin CPU's 1.4Ghz - the issue is getting them on the board as the pins are different....

that adaptor is of no use the motherboard is not a socket 370 it is a microbga 495 or something like that. that board just has a frequency doublier or something to make the cpu operate in older motherboard with locked multiplier/ max frequency.

we need a bga 495 to socket 370 and you will find it is a straight adaptor no funky electronics as they are pin for pin compatable just a different pin pattern.

Yup I know that.... I was just wondering if the BGA socket on the xbox could be adapted to 370 then the Tualatin adapter added....
professor_jonny

In theory you could put a slocket adaptor on the xbox and use a slot 1 to socket 370 adaptor if you want.

the microbga2 495 socket 370 and slot 1 are basically identical to each other i had a look at the data sheet some time ago.

there is an abundance of slockets around but the same problem we need the adaptor to fit to the mbga 495 .

Getting an adaptor designed taking into account inductance and trace lengths inteference etc would cose Aprox 3000 usd that you could produce enginering samples at 2~300 usd a pop.

in volume discounts 25+ you could reduce it to 120 per adaptor. trusty relly provides a cheap bit of kit for what it is. but id guess he works in that industry and gets a pritty good rate.

if a slot 1 adaptor was made we could potentially put a dual processor as slot 1 came out with dual socket 370 at one stage.

cheers jono
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

"if a slot 1 adaptor was made we could potentially put a dual processor as slot 1 came out with dual socket 370 at one stage. cheers jono
Dual processor in the original Xbox :) That would be something
professor_jonny

adaptor.rar
design sample
(151.2 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
here i got a quote to get an adaptor made it is 3000 usd for the design tooling and assembly samples will be 2-300 usd per adaptor (estimated).

It will reduce in volume quantanties over 500+ to be a little over 70 (usd estimated).

The difference with this over trusty's one it will have a but soldered 370 socket with a 495 bga pattern on the bottom making it more stable .

as the socket is a rip tape style 400 deg c that you remove the former when soldered it will most likely be able to be soldered with hot air to the motherboard without too much trouble as you cant dammage the socket.

I'm thinking on starting a kick starter project :-)

The company showed intrest in owning the designs and selling adaptors as well but a price was not discussed.

if you have a spare 3000 usd drop us an email :-)
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

I wanted to let you guys know that I have one of these N64 Freak 1GHz consoles and it is trouble free! I have used it quite a bit and left it turned on for almost 3 days filling the hard drive on the FTP. I can say that I am happy with it. The RAM upgrade is something I do myself but I had him include the RAM upgrade also. I traded him 2 chihiro motherboards for this version 1.1. From chatting with him i can tell you that this is one of the best and cleanest solder jobs I have seen. Very professional and I could not tell which RAM was install by him. His prices are also really affordable. He is not making much at all and sells these for the love of the xbox and not for the money.

I have it installed in a Crystal clear xbox with the X3CP faceplate with XLCD, Hitachi DVD drive, Minebea PSU power supply, 750 gig seagate hard drive, ata 166 upgraded IDE cable, X3IR-kit, X3CE mod chip, version 1.1 mother board 128 RAM 1GHz CPU 133 FSB.
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

133 fbs I thought the 1ghz only came in 100fbs?
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

xboxprince wrote:133 fbs I thought the 1ghz only came in 100fbs?
You can get the processor to work at 133 fps, although Intel states that running the processor at anything but 100 fsb bus does not guarantee proper function of the processor.

Here is a part of the intel document

"The only supported system bus frequency for the mobile Pentium III processor is 100 MHz. If another
frequency is used or if the BSEL[1:0] signals are not driven with “01” then the processor is not
guaranteed to function properly."
xboxprince

Post by xboxprince »

Oh that makes since it's like an overclock, thanks :).
project media center "part one" (working progress): 6tb trusty 1.4ghz + 128mb v1.4 Xbox water cooled pc case with xenium ice, LCD, HDMI out and optical out.
davidthomas

Post by davidthomas »

Hey floyd hows it going? Did you get the 1GHz working yet? If you run it at 100 FSB then it has a clock speed of 933 I think. The only way I have seen it run at the 1000MHz is to run it at the 133 FSB. I am not sure what FSB trusty runs his 1GHz at though. I do not have one yet.
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

Hey davidthomas

No I haven't got the 1ghz cpu working in an Xbox yet. I haven't attempted it yet actually, cause I still don't have the cash for the BGA rework station I want to get. I think I will be able to get it this summer.