Hard Drive partition sizes help please

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
drizzle

Re: Hard Drive partition sizes help please

Post by drizzle »

So I had a look through my old bits and bobs last night and the next largest ATA HDD I had was 80GB, So I can't actually attempt to replicate the problem with another hard drive. I think I'm at a dead end here. The only thing I can think to do is to format the 300GB hard drive with a 120.5GB F: partition and just leave the rest as wasted space. Not ideal but better than the 10GB hard drive I'd be using otherwise.
asbo

Post by asbo »

Have you tried editing an M8+ BIOS and reflashing it? There's several partition options, although I don't really know if they'd affect it as I've only used small HDDs.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The disc version of unleashx is probably a different version that then one that's installed.

As for the m8 bios that doesn't support the partition table that XBP writes to the hdd at offset 0.
So you're limited to 137GB on F & G takes the rest (requires reflashing the bios) or its default mode, F takes all space.

I'm also having the same problem as you currently, but I'm updating Chimp 261811 (261812) & fixing, improving a lot of things, but unleashx won't show the G partition if formatted with chimp (chimp uses the same process at XBP) but XBMC can see the partition & its space fine.

So seems to be old dashboards that weren't updated to support a-z partitions have issues.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
drizzle

Post by drizzle »

Hi Rocky5, I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with this issue (although I'm sure you're not). Our issues seem to differ slightly in that XBMC cannot see my partitions properly either, despite using the latest version, where as yours can. I wonder if there is some dependency of XBMC that you have a more modern version of or something. XBMC is the only dash that I am actually interested in using, so if I could at least get to the point you are at, I would be more than happy with that. You touched on BIOS limitations also, do you know of a more suitable one that we might need to try?

Edit:

Asbo, do you have any more information on what I might need to do regarding editing the BIOS?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

I personally use ind-bios it's a 256kb bios & only works on v1.0/1.5 Xbox revisions, for a 1.6+ use x2 5035, this bios is 512kb though.

Both these bios support partition tables & 128mb ram + they only require flashing once as they load configs off th HDD.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
drizzle

Post by drizzle »

OK, sounds like a good place to start. I'm very new to the Xbox modding scene, really, and my Xbox came already modded. I'll do some research and once I've managed to figure out how to flash it, I'll report back.
Iriez

Post by Iriez »

drizzle wrote:Hi Rocky5, I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with this issue (although I'm sure you're not). Our issues seem to differ slightly in that XBMC cannot see my partitions properly either, despite using the latest version, where as yours can. I wonder if there is some dependency of XBMC that you have a more modern version of or something. XBMC is the only dash that I am actually interested in using, so if I could at least get to the point you are at, I would be more than happy with that. You touched on BIOS limitations also, do you know of a more suitable one that we might need to try?

Edit:

Asbo, do you have any more information on what I might need to do regarding editing the BIOS?
I was running into the same issue, xbp would only allow me to use the trigger to scroll to 120g on F. I had almost given up too when I found out the solution, its merely a qwirk within the xbp software, and nothing to do with your bios.

Here's the solution-

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 290#p12262
usually you don't use xbp to format the E, you can do that from unleashx, usually you have to do that if games aren't loading, and icons aren't showing up for the games

the best way that I've found is right as the program loads, press B to evenly distribute the sizes
then on both F and G partitions (6 +7) press the Right D-Pad twice to decrease both partitions by 2gb, press START and Y to format
then exit the app by BACK twice
reboot the xbox and reload the app
increase both partitions by 1gb with the Left D-Pad, then press START and Y to format
then exit the app and reload it again
then press B to evenly distribute the sizes and START and Y to format

I've run into stubborn hard drives before that they wouldn't format right, and that does it most every time, sometimes I have to low level format a drive first if it still won't work
Just got done putting a 2TB using NDURE installer 1.1 on a 1.6 xbox. Was quite fun! New learning experience, I've not softmodded and upgraded to a HD that big ever. Funny that 13 years later im still doing this :-)

Hope that helps.
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

Iriez wrote:
drizzle wrote:Hi Rocky5, I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with this issue (although I'm sure you're not). Our issues seem to differ slightly in that XBMC cannot see my partitions properly either, despite using the latest version, where as yours can. I wonder if there is some dependency of XBMC that you have a more modern version of or something. XBMC is the only dash that I am actually interested in using, so if I could at least get to the point you are at, I would be more than happy with that. You touched on BIOS limitations also, do you know of a more suitable one that we might need to try?

Edit:

I was running into the same issue, xbp would only allow me to use the trigger to scroll to 120g on F. I had almost given up too when I found out the solution, its merely a qwirk within the xbp software, and nothing to do with your bios.

Here's the solution-

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 290#p12262
usually you don't use xbp to format the E, you can do that from unleashx, usually you have to do that if games aren't loading, and icons aren't showing up for the games

the best way that I've found is right as the program loads, press B to evenly distribute the sizes
then on both F and G partitions (6 +7) press the Right D-Pad twice to decrease both partitions by 2gb, press START and Y to format
then exit the app by BACK twice
reboot the xbox and reload the app
increase both partitions by 1gb with the Left D-Pad, then press START and Y to format
then exit the app and reload it again
then press B to evenly distribute the sizes and START and Y to format

I've run into stubborn hard drives before that they wouldn't format right, and that does it most every time, sometimes I have to low level format a drive first if it still won't work
Just got done putting a 2TB using NDURE installer 1.1 on a 1.6 xbox. Was quite fun! New learning experience, I've not softmodded and upgraded to a HD that big ever. Funny that 13 years later im still doing this :-)

Hope that helps.
Ugh, maybe you can help me, i'm in the process of upgrading to a 2 TB drive, and I'm having trouble evenly distributing my F and G partitions (for me its partition 5 and 6).

Softmodded Unleash X via MechAssault - Check
Installed Ndure, backed up E prom, made sure was set to port 21, check check check
FTP Chimp - Check
Bought a PATA/SATA, Molex Y Splitter, and 80 Conductor IDE Cable - Check, and Check
Ran Linux from Applications, swapped over IDE cable from DVD to new drive with bridge jumper set as slave. Made sure both IDE devices were recognized. Formatted master drive to split evenly between F and G because I was having problems getting G to show up. In this case it did. I then cloned the master to slave, and locked the slave upon complettion - Check
Set the jumper to master, popped in the new drive, unleash X loads - Check
Go back to Chimp, and reformat so it shows all of my space.
The ONLY way I can get it to show all 2 TB's is if I choose Cap F at 137 GB and rest goes to G. If I try splitting evenly, G gets nothing and unknown clusters. Not sure how to split F and G to just under a TB each. any suggestions?

EDIT - I needed to use XBPartitioner1.3 to resolve the partition issues. I hadn't realized that Chimp wouldn't do the trick on its own.