How can I upgrade xbox kernel?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Redneck9

How can I upgrade xbox kernel?

Post by Redneck9 »

how can I update xbox kernel to 5960 from 4034?

Softmod.
My stock hdd has 5960 kernel, I upgrded my dash using SID 5.0, Now I'm getting errors when powering on using eject button or loading ms dash from unleashX?

I tried to install a new softmod using Krayzie but it asked for kernal 5960?

Do I need the eeprom from my stock HDD?
professor_jonny

Re: How can I upgrade xbox kernel?

Post by professor_jonny »

get a copy of hexen and install a softmod that way it will save you these errors, it is a datch mod mismatch
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

The video says my xbox needs 5960, will hexen overlook the fact I have 4034?

Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

@Xphazer:

That didn't work either. When I loaded games by pressing the power button"MS DASH" it gave me an error saying cannot update and to check for a dirty or damaged disc. the progress bar is about 75% complete for every game. I used Halo 2, DOOM and X-men legends 2.

When loaded Games from unleashX It took me to a network setup/troubleshooting message. I also disables the network connection in unleashX. Also I made sure to unplug the Xbox Ethernet cable.

When I try to load the MS Dash from UnleashX it says, Error unable to launch "C:\xbldash.xbe"

Can I FTP the C:\xbldash.xbe file from my stock HDD? Will FTP'ing that update my kernal w/o using an (XBOX LIVE GAME)? Are those locked to their won xbox hdd?

Will replacing the xboxdash.xbe with xbldash.xbe cause any serious problems?
Last edited by Redneck9 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I've never tried updating with the games but I know xboxhdm works fine if you've got an eeprom. If you're going to the hassle of using that though you may as well install a larger hdd.
professor_jonny

you wont be able to update your dash with a shadow c present.

you might need to boot from the unprotected bios then copy across the dash files then re mod it.

i believe hexen does this all for you it will update your dash and update your soft mod it is a lot easier to do that and you might end up with a brick.

other option is to remove the soft mod return to retail update the dash and then remod.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

from what i remember did newer xbox games now require this dash and contain update files on the disk?

i had a problem with a dash years ago and it was suggested that using a newer game with xbox live support required this dash and automatically upgraded it?

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
professor_jonny

sixties keith wrote:from what i remember did newer xbox games now require this dash and contain update files on the disk?
yip it does but you cant update the dash files on a xbox with a show copy of c drive as the actual c drive is hidden from the user to stop the softmod from getting buggered from doing something wrong.
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

Well, thanks anyway guys.
Spongy

Post by Spongy »

First of all, you can't upgrade your kernel. It's asking you to Update to 5960 dash.

Second, just use Hexen. It will do what you need.

If you insist on using a game to update. Understand it will remove your softmod. Before you start make sure you have a modern version of the gamesave exploit on the HDD and an original copy of the exploitable game.

To update the dash you need to cold boot the game.
1. Put the original game ( Halo 2, DOOM, X-men legends 2 etc.) in the dvd drive and close it.
2. Turn the xbox off.
3. Turn the xbox on.

The xbox will now boot straight to the game before the softmod kicks in. Accessing xbox live will update the dash now.
blighty

Post by blighty »

I would uninstall any mod you have ( making sure you have a mem card with a game save exploit first ) update via halo2 or whatever, reinstall mod and blam :D

works for me :D
nodots

Post by nodots »

I know this thread is necro, but posting to clear future confusion for future seekers:

A shadow C is a file that is on your E partition that get's mounted as your C drive. Your real C drive contains mod files required to boot the system and activate the shadow, and let you fix things when something goes wrong. Your "shadow" C will just contain your msdash. When this is active, you cannot normaly access your real C drive.

The kernel is in the BIOS. Your running kernel is determined by the stock bios (if using nkpatcher) or by your bios loaded from the HDD (PBL method).

As for the hexen disk, you can extract the 5960 dash from the disk to your shadow C drive using XBMC4XBOX (erase everything in shadow C first). I would only advise this if you ARE using a shadow C (hint: you will see no modding files/folders). After booting in shadow mode, you can effectively blank your C drive (msdash container) and still boot. KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALTERING THE SHADOW DRIVE, NOT THE BOOT/MOD DRIVE.

This dash change (with a shadow C) does not require you to uninstall any mod.

As with anything you do that affects the C drive, make sure you have backups of your HDD key! If not... If something goes wrong, you will need to find a modchip.
Tayjelir

Post by Tayjelir »

nodots wrote:I know this thread is necro, but posting to clear future confusion for future seekers:

A shadow C is a file that is on your E partition that get's mounted as your C drive. Your real C drive contains mod files required to boot the system and activate the shadow, and let you fix things when something goes wrong. Your "shadow" C will just contain your msdash. When this is active, you cannot normaly access your real C drive.

The kernel is in the BIOS. Your running kernel is determined by the stock bios (if using nkpatcher) or by your bios loaded from the HDD (PBL method).

As for the hexen disk, you can extract the 5960 dash from the disk to your shadow C drive using XBMC4XBOX (erase everything in shadow C first). I would only advise this if you ARE using a shadow C (hint: you will see no modding files/folders). After booting in shadow mode, you can effectively blank your C drive (msdash container) and still boot. KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALTERING THE SHADOW DRIVE, NOT THE BOOT/MOD DRIVE.

This dash change (with a shadow C) does not require you to uninstall any mod.

As with anything you do that affects the C drive, make sure you have backups of your HDD key! If not... If something goes wrong, you will need to find a modchip.
How would having a modded BIOS that no longer requires a locked HDD factor into this?
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Tayjelir wrote:How would having a modded BIOS that no longer requires a locked HDD factor into this?
Softmods requires your HDD to be locked. A softmod Xbox initially boots from the retail kernel (which requires a locked HDD to succesfully boot) and will load the exploit that will patch the retail kernel(nkpatcher) or sideload a BFM BIOS into memory (PBL) when trying to load the MS dashboard.

So technically, you could unlock your HDD for as long as the modified kernel is into memory but the initial boot from retail kernel will require a locked HDD or it will throw an error and stall the console before being able to lauch the MS dashboard. So make sure your Xbox HDD is always locked before turning off your console.

I'm not into softmods but doesn't recent softmod techniques implement a shadow EEPROM that blocks any R/W attempts to the real Xbox EEPROM? If so, is it populated with an invalid HDD key? Seems to me it could be a good idea as it would block any HDD unlock attempt while running the softmod.
Tayjelir

Post by Tayjelir »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:
Tayjelir wrote:How would having a modded BIOS that no longer requires a locked HDD factor into this?
Softmods requires your HDD to be locked. A softmod Xbox initially boots from the retail kernel (which requires a locked HDD to succesfully boot) and will load the exploit that will patch the retail kernel(nkpatcher) or sideload a BFM BIOS into memory (PBL) when trying to load the MS dashboard.

So technically, you could unlock your HDD for as long as the modified kernel is into memory but the initial boot from retail kernel will require a locked HDD or it will throw an error and stall the console before being able to lauch the MS dashboard. So make sure your Xbox HDD is always locked before turning off your console.

I'm not into softmods but doesn't recent softmod techniques implement a shadow EEPROM that blocks any R/W attempts to the real Xbox EEPROM? If so, is it populated with an invalid HDD key? Seems to me it could be a good idea as it would block any HDD unlock attempt while running the softmod.
Sorry, I think my question was too vague. I already know about needing to keep your HDD locked on an unmodified BIOS, but I was wondering what an Xbox can do if it no longer requires a locked HDD from running a BIOS like Evos X M8. I'm guessing a dashboard has to be present at all times being the operating system, but does it have to be the MSdash? Could I just put XBMC there instead, name the boot image default.xbe or do I need another BIOS to allow for that or is this just not how the Xbox works no matter what kind of BIOS you make and load? Did they hardcode the Xbox to require the MSdash to be present one way or another so getting the silly dash off is just a dream?

C drive: OS
D drive: Dvd drive
E drive: User and system data
H-O? drive: Memory cards (I only have one memory card, so I'm not sure if this is correct)
X-Z drive: System cache? (I know one of these partitions is for cache)

F-G drive: Extra space? (retail Xbox's don't have these partitions ever?)
Is all this correct?
i love People Races On Field day in the EaStern iSlands On thuRsdays. just_ don't expect JanitOrs to cleaN your kNickers when You lose.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Tayjelir wrote:Sorry, I think my question was too vague. I already know about needing to keep your HDD locked on an unmodified BIOS, but I was wondering what an Xbox can do if it no longer requires a locked HDD from running a BIOS like Evos X M8. I'm guessing a dashboard has to be present at all times being the operating system, but does it have to be the MSdash? Could I just put XBMC there instead, name the boot image default.xbe or do I need another BIOS to allow for that or is this just not how the Xbox works no matter what kind of BIOS you make and load? Did they hardcode the Xbox to require the MSdash to be present one way or another so getting the silly dash off is just a dream?

C drive: OS
D drive: Dvd drive
H-O? drive: Memory cards (I only have one memory card, so I'm not sure if this is correct)
X-Z drive: System cache? (I know one of these partitions is for cache)

F-G drive: Extra space? (retail Xbox's don't have these partitions ever?)
Is all this correct?
To answer your question: Leaving the HDD unlocked makes recovery or HDD swap a whole lot easier. That's the only benefit.

I think a better question would have been: "What can I do by booting my console with a hacked BIOS I cannot do with a softmod?"

Here's most of it:

You don't need to have a dashboard to operate your Xbox. If your BIOS is configured to launch XBEs from DVD, it will do so. In fact, that's how you initially put stuff on your HDD when you install a new one in your Xbox (since it's not formatted, there's nothing on it to boot from!).

You can remove the MS dash from the C partition if you want but I would advise on keeping it. You can configure certain options in the MS dash that not all other dashboards or XBMC can configure so easily.

You can set your hacked BIOS to boot something other than the MS dash when no disc is detected in the DVD drive. In fact, most hacked BIOS will let you set up a prioritized list of XBEs to launch from the HDD. For example you could set a BIOS to try and launch "E:\XBMC\default.xbe" first and move on to another user defined path if the preceding one fails(and lastly boot the MS dash as a last resort when all other paths have failed). You cannot set a boot path from a memory card or cache drive. Only C, E, F and G.

You can preset a Fan speed in the BIOS that will take effect as soon as you power ON.

You can set a certain LED color patternfor the front panel LED that will take effect as soon as you power ON.

You can boot your console without a DVD drive.

You can customize boot animation's color, orientation, blob appearance, text, etc. You can even completely remove the animation. Your Xbox sits on a black screen with no sound until the HDD becomes accessible and boots to your dashboard (extra useful if you want to put an Xbox in your car and don't want to hear the boot animation through your speakers everytime you start your car).
nodots

Post by nodots »

Tayjelir wrote:Did they hardcode the Xbox to require the MSdash to be present one way or another so getting the silly dash off is just a dream?
With a mod chip, you can put X4X on the C: drive instead and boot that, but not with a soft mod. In retail mode, there are things that are hardcoded into the bios like the partition table, dash location, boot animation configuration, etc. psyko_chewbacca is right - a softmod must boot retail, then it auto loads the mod via an exploit.

C drive: Dash
D drive: DVD drive
H-O drive: Memory cards
X-Z drive: System cache

F-G drive: Extra space (only some retail Xbox's can have these partitions, like a 1.6b with a 10GB Seagate)

Technically the bios is the OS, the dash is an interface on top. Think Windows 3.1 or Linux with Xorg, not Windows 7. When you load a game, the dash leaves memory. An OS never leaves the memory or the system would no longer operate.