Dead DVD Drive on 4 Xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ochentay4

Dead DVD Drive on 4 Xbox

Post by ochentay4 »

Hey guys. I have 4 xbox (1.0, 1.2, 1.6 and 1.6). All work somewhat bad, as all dvd drives are almost dead or absolute dead (cant open, cant read, cant stay closd). All are hacked either with softmod or tsop or modchip.
Is there any way to discard the use of the dvd drive? I read somewhere that I have to use a nodvd bios (where do I get them?) and have to pull out pcbs and mod them.
Help!!!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Dead DVD Drive on 4 Xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Evox M8+ BIOS from other well known original Xbox forum sources will either be set up for "No DVD" check by default or can be modified by using the EVTool to do so. Other BIOS like the X2 and IND ones require a different editing tool but again if you get the BIOS from the same sort of places chances are they too will have the no DVD check enabled.

Problem is that to use such a BIOS you need to either TSOP the Xbox or chip it.

Aladdin type chips are cheap, very easily found online and come with an Evox M8+ version of some sort. The one I bought did not have the no dvd drive check enabled it also had issues with the in-game reset too. It was shown as enabled but not actually functioning. I had to reflash the BIOS with an EVTool edited one to get both working.

You will have more trouble with the two v1.6 Xboxes as they can not be TSOPed and to chip them the LPC pin mount the Xbox MB includes has to be re-enabled with extra wiring that is not required for earlier Xbox versions.

The v1.0 and v1.2, particularly if already softmodded, are good for TSOPing and require less soldering skills than the v1.6s will do. You do need to make sure you follow the guides for your specific Xbox version and the TSOP chip type fitted (where the 'BIOS' is stored).

TSOPs are inherently more risky than chipping because if you mess up the BIOS flash you'll have corrupted the original MS BIOS and the only easy solution to getting your Xbox working after that happens will be to fit a chip.

Good guides to TSOPing and chipping the Xbox, including v1.6s are easily found on YT and at other original Xbox dedicated web sites.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 »

Thanks to your post I managed to flash Evox M8+ NODVD 256KB no all my chipped or tsop flashed xbox using OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.4 (except the one that its softmodded and its 1.6).
The one thats 1.6 and softmodded, I already have an Aladdin chip on the way (will have to read how to flash it and solder it).
One thing, one of the Xboxes (have to edit and post later which one exactly) despite that I flashed AND reflashed the same Evox M8+ NODVD 256KB BIOS, it wont boot to dashboard without the DVD Drive. I thought maybe it was how the hard drive was set, so I reinstalled it with HeXeN 2021 and another with OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.4 and still wont boot without DVD Drive. Will have to recheck everything later. Thanks!
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Some DVD drive faults (Philips ones in particular) seem to disable or nullify the no DVD drive check and instead you may get an error 10. 11 or 12. But more often, at least that is what I found, you'll get an error 7 which although cited as a HDD error can actually mean any problem on the IDE connections ie. HDD or DVD or the IDE cable itself or the MB IDE plug connection.

In those cases you need to disable the DVD drive completely and do what is supposed to be a simple cross wiring of the DVD power connector so the Xbox thinks the DVD drive is still fitted and working.

I have not done this myself, I used another non-working (Samsung) DVD drive as a replacement, but I know there are guides or forum posts elsewhere which detail the DVD drive power cable mod.