Enigma Video Software...is it accurate

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
thegamer1185

Enigma Video Software...is it accurate

Post by thegamer1185 »

I need some experts on this. I have a softmodded NTSC Xbox, version 1.0. The mod is Executor 2, it has the Enigma Video Converter software on it to switch to either PAL or NTSC video settings. How accurate does it run to an original PAL Xbox when I'm playing on the PAL video settings? Everything works as it should when I change the video settings; my TV changes it's display settings, the games are absolutely slower in PAL video settings than NTSC video settings (duh); if I accidentally try playing a NTSC game on PAL video settings the game is essentially unplayable because it's so out of sync. Everything tells me playing a PAL game on PAL video settings with my NTSC XBox is 100% accurate. I simply "need" to know if it is running 100% accurate. I keep getting told to run a side by side comparison of a non modded PAL Xbox with the NTSC modded Xbox on PAL video settings to see. I'm not buying a PAL Xbox and all the necessary stuff to test that. Somebody else can if they want :) Any information at all on how the program works, how accurate it is would be very much appreciated. I keep getting told the XBox is essentially a PC and why wouldn't it be running accurately, I hope that is true. Thank you.
professor_jonny

Re: Enigma Video Software...is it accurate

Post by professor_jonny »

I dont know what you me an by 100% accurate but I'm From a PAL country and my PAL games play correctly on my PAL Xbox.

I also have a few NTSC cames and they play correctly on my console both in PAL and NTSC.

PAL and NTSC consoles only differ by the contents of the eeprom the motherboards are identical.

PAL offers 50 and 60 HZ and NTSC is 50hz only so if any measurable speed difference this would be why but in reality this should not matter as it was designed to do both.

Of note unless you wish to run at SD resolution it is possibly best to run NTSC that offers 720p or 1080i HD resolutions.
Compostite cables in PAL mode will allow 576i or 576p which is better the 480i/p displayed via NTSC and it definatly makes a difference in picture quality.

When using XBMC4XBOX you can force launch a game in PAL or NTSC mode if you wish
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You really should not bother with PAL at all.

Switch the console to NTSC and leave it there. You'll rarely ever need to swap it back to play the small number of games that are PAL region locked.

Most PAL games support NTSC and 480p with a few supporting 720p too. You'll only get the benefit of that if you're using a Component cable or that through a HDMI converter. Otherwise, with AV Composite, S-Video or RGB SCART you're stuck with NTSC 480i/60Hz which is practically the same as PAL60 anyway. So again no reason to swap back to PAL.

The 576i/50Hz PAL 50 option sounds good; 100+ extra lines of resolution but in practice its only of interest if you want your dashboard to look slightly sharper. For actual games playing 50Hz is best avoided. 480p via Component is the way to go if you're concerned about picture quality and you can only get that by region swapping the Xbox.
thegamer1185

Post by thegamer1185 »

I'm using the Xbox to submit scores to a website. Some scores need to be done in PAL, some in NTSC. My Xbox is a NTSC region, plays everything great. The enigma video software changes the settings over PAL, and when I play a PAL rom, it works great. If I am not on the right video settings, the games either won't load at all or they are so out of audio/video sync they are unplayable...which I wouldn't do anyways. Some people are questioning that a NTSC Xbox playing on the PAL video settings isn't running the games at the exact same speed a PAL XBOX would run them. Phew. I know, it's confusing.

So you are all saying the Xbox is designed to play on either setting and a NTSC XBox using the Enigma video converter set to PAL settings.... does play exactly as a PAL XBOX would play a PAL game?
thegamer1185

Post by thegamer1185 »

The games need to run exactly as they are meant to so there is no "unfair advantage". I can't find any "proof" that a NTSC Xbox running on PAL settings is exactly like an original native PAL Xbox. Basically, would (pick any game) the racing timer on a PAL version of Burnout Revenge being played on my NTSC Xbox run at the exact same speed as it being played on a PAL Xbox with no mods? I know, this is ridiculous, but at this point I really curious as to how accurately these things run. Thank you for your responses BTW, anything is help.
Patrick41

Post by Patrick41 »

Seeking proof: NTSC Xbox on PAL settings vs. native PAL Xbox. Concerned about 'unfair advantage.' Specifically, Burnout Revenge racing timer speed comparison. Grateful for any insights provided. Thanks!story saver