Softmod HELL Error code 6

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Ash123

Softmod HELL Error code 6

Post by Ash123 »

I've been using an xbox with a softmod I installed about 6 years ago using Hexen 0.99 b11-22 on an original xbox. and option 2.4.3b Build new disk PAL.

all was fine until the hdd packed up a couple of weeks ago. So I tried to install it again with a different hdd except now i get error 6 when i turn it on.

i've had a look at the error code and this means it's locked with wrong key or eeprom. I don't understand why this has happened as I did the same before and it worked fine. The retail hdd did have a softmod on it using splinter cell exploit (no idea which exploit it is). Is this the problem?

Do i need to return it to a retail hdd without the softmod before running the hexen disc?

Please help as my head really hurts as I've grown old and haven't done this stuff for a long time. This modding stuff I had a basic grasp on but now I'm totally lost at sea.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Softmod HELL Error code 6

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

No, HeXEn or any other burned disc won't run on a a retail state HDD even if locked.

You can not just put another new HDD in a softmodded Xbox and expect it to work. The softmod files are on the HDD and without them you have no softmod. Even if you copy them to the new HDD its still unlocked and so that won't work either.

What you need is the eeprom which is effectively an electronic key which unlocks/locks the HDD to the MB. If you haven't got a back up copy of that on your PC you have a problem.

I think you must have forgotten what you did when upgrading the HDD because, if it is a softmod, you can not have have just fitted a new HDD without locking it or used HeXEn.

I do not know that feature you describe but I'd guess it is for building a new HDD using a chipped or TSOPed Xbox. AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) has a similar menu option I've used several times with a chipped Xbox building a softmodded HDD for use in another Xbox. But it still has to be eeprom locked afterwards to the Xbox it is going to used in and that is done by importing the eeprom from that.

If you have the original retail HDD and it is softmodded (and locked - it should be) you can use it with Chimp 261812 to clone it to a new HDD and lock it. I'd get the eeprom off the Xbox and back it up to PC before doing anything else using the working softmodded HDD, as it will give you more options.
Ash123

Post by Ash123 »

I do have the eeprom from the retail hdd saved to my pc. That's why i don't understand why the hexen rebuild didn't work. it should have used the same key from the retail hdd but instead i got error 6.

When the rebuild finished it asked me to backup the eeprom and then lock the hdd, then when i booted it up it just gave me an error 6.

The option i used on the hexen disc is for softmods only, not for chipped or flashed tsop

I'll look into the "chimp" method, thanks.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

As indicated I'm not a HeXEn expert or at least not as knowledgeable about it as some of the other guys here.

What I'm not getting is how you ran HeXEn (from disc?) to build the new HDD if the HDD installed "had packed up". Some sort of hot swap technique?

I think you need to described exactly what and how you did what you said you did. It won't change the advice to use Chimp 261812 with the old softmodded retail HDD as that is the simplest solution.

All you might need to do is lock the new HDD if the HeXEn rebuild was good. Chimp 261812 will tell you if the HDD is locked or not.

There's a possibility that the problem is that the new HDD is not lockable or its been left in Slave mode or the SATA/IDE adapter is faulty or you're not using an 80 wire IDE cable. But until we understand exactly what you did to create the rebuilt HDD that's just wild guesswork.