To Master The Art Of Hdd Upgrades You Must...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
clay.r.08

To Master The Art Of Hdd Upgrades You Must...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by clay.r.08 »

I want to upgrade my original 10gb hard drive to a 320gb western digital Scorpio blue, this is a pocket size 2.5

I got a ide to sata adapter, it was recommended by several on this site
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA- ... 2c63c69fbb

I have been reading a little bit ...

( http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=649
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=219
xbox scene The Art Of Hdd Upgrades For Softmodded Xbox ) ...

trying to understand how it works and trying to decide what is best way for me to go

I have have a old desktop pc running windows xp and it has a dvd drive and 2 extra ide connections

this video makes it look easy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlF8UDed ... e=youtu.be
but I do not understand if the guy on the video has formatted the new hard drive to fatx before he put it in the xbox
my xbox boots to slayer 298 disc I have burnt onto my last Memorex dvd-r,
I was unable to get my xbox to boot to HexIn

I burnt it to a few different dvd's a guide says I need to burn it to verbatim dvd-r so I bought some from ebay

im kinda waiting on the verbatim dvd -r to come in the mail but im still trying to wrap my head around this process before I get them just incase the verbatim dvd-r do not make HexIn or AID boot up

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

update I found Auto-Installer Deluxe v4.53 and I am now downloading it

all I have is dvd +r until I get the verbatim dvd-r in the mail, would it be a waste of time to burn it to a dvd+r
gsmtech

Re: To Master The Art Of Hdd Upgrades You Must...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by gsmtech »

I just installed a 320Gb Maxtor DiamondMax drive into my softmodded Xbox last night. I used Xboxhdm 1.9. You dont have to format the drive to Fatx xboxhdm does that for you when you tell it to build the drive.
I backed up the C and E drives from the stock drive..and most importantly the EEPROM from the xbox and put these on the ISO image that you create in xboxhdm. you then boot up from that CD using then PC with the IDE connectors with the new drive connected.
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlF8UDed ... e=youtu.be

I see under the video he left a lot more information and talks about booting older computer from disc

Published on Jun 15, 2012

This is a tutorial video on how to softmod your original xbox, install XBMC as your main dashboard (also how to update XBMC), and install a bigger hard drive (no soldering required).
How to Softmod your original xbox:

1. Softmod Installer Deluxe (SID) -- This is the softmodding file that you'll need to download and pair with a Splinter Cell Linux save file on your xbox memory card. The version used in this tutorial is SID 5.0. Just search google. You can add these files to your xbox memory card with an Action Replay Kit (program and cord that allows you to connect an xbox memory card to your computer).

2. Filezilla -- a free FTP (file transfer protocol) program. This allows you to access your xbox hard drive (after it has been softmodded) via the Ethernet cord that is hooked up to the xbox between it and your home router.
a. Host: IP address
b. Username: xbox
c. Password: xbox

3. Xboxhdm 1.9 -- This is the version that was used during this video. This is a file collection where you will transfer your eeprom.bin, C:drive, and E: drive from your xbox (via an FTP program) to create an ISO of your original xbox. You will use this ISO to copy your original xbox's hard drive onto a bigger hard drive. Note: these steps aren't necessary if you plan on keeping your original 8gb hard drive in your xbox.

4. DVD Decrypter -- the burning program I use to burn my xbox ISO onto a CD-R.

5. If you have trouble getting your older computer to boot up to the ISO, click on startup menu option (usually F12 or F10) when your computer is booting up. Here you need to change your computer so that the boot order starts with the CD-ROM drive then goes to the Hard Disk. If you are still having trouble with getting your older computer to recognize your ISO during boot, you could try burning your ISO on a different burner or try a different type of CD-R.

6. Type the following to lock your new hard drive "Lockhd --a" -- just make sure there is a space in between the" lockhd" and the "--a."

7. Auto Installer Deluxe (AID) -- the version used in this video is v4.4, but you can use whatever version you can find (just make sure that it has XBMC included). You may have to burn the AID ISO onto several different types of media (CD-R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-RW) to figure out which type of media your xbox will read. This step is necessary for both individuals that want to keep their original xbox hard drive and for those that are installer a bigger hard drive.

8. Xbox Partitioner -- the program used during this video demo is XBpartitioner 1.1 patch v3.

9. DVD2xbox -- program that allows you to save xbox games to your hard drive, so you will no longer need to insert the game disc to play the game.

10. Dongle Free DVD -- allows you to watch DVDs on your xbox without having to buy the special DVD remote.

11. Where to find a new version of XBMC -- check out Xbmc4xbox.org.uk for new builds. Make sure you name the newly downloaded folder of XBMC, "xbmc new." Transfer your folder "xbmc new" over to your E:drive on your xbox, via your FTP program.
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

gsmtech wrote:I just installed a 320Gb Maxtor DiamondMax drive into my softmodded Xbox last night. I used Xboxhdm 1.9. You dont have to format the drive to Fatx xboxhdm does that for you when you tell it to build the drive.
I backed up the C and E drives from the stock drive..and most importantly the EEPROM from the xbox and put these on the ISO image that you create in xboxhdm. you then boot up from that CD using then PC with the IDE connectors with the new drive connected.
thanks, it is all starting to make more since to me

my xbox is already modded I just want a bigger hard drive
I downloaded AID auto installer deluxe 4.53
I also got the lite version also that will fit onto cd-r

I might wait until my verbatim dvd -r get here before I try to do this
gsmtech

Post by gsmtech »

you dont need AID to install a larger hard disk or a DVD - R . If your xbox is already modded you just need to connect to it via FTP and back up your EEPROM, C drive and E Drive. Then you can use xboxhdm with your backed up files to create a bootable iso on a CD -R.
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

gsmtech wrote:you dont need AID to install a larger hard disk or a DVD - R . If your xbox is already modded you just need to connect to it via FTP and back up your EEPROM, C drive and E Drive. Then you can use xboxhdm with your backed up files to create a bootable iso on a CD -R.
I just like to use 007 agent under fire disc and exploit backup eeprom and then do a minimum or basic mod and ftp apps or anything else I use manually

I'm going to download XBHDM as soon as aid 4.52 1.95gb finishes downloading might as well finish downloading aid...

Im gonna try this XBHDM v19 (included unmodded C partition for building HD from scratch)

My xbox boots to evo dash I do not know if something is wrong with my ms dash I get error on basic installs but I can do minimum installs, I get a error when it checks for ms dash 5960 which I had before I modded my xbox , says name does not match solution rename, I don't care though because it has been working perfectly without ms dash

I do not know if this will cause problems with a bigger hard drive, I do have a copy of the eeprom on my computer
when I ftp nothing is in the c drive now that I delted everything out of c drive, I have tried adding stock c drive files back to it but still could not get ms dash to start even when I clicked on a ms dash xbe, I do not know if I need to put the eeprom back in the c drive in a certain place with stock files or what

someone told me slayer 298 disc would fix this for me but I have tried lots of repairs with slayers 298 and still no working ms dash, but xbox plays backups, xbmc, emulators, everything works good, I just get error if I try to re do the softmod basic, I can only do softmod minimum, maybe the copy I made of my eeprom is a copy made after I started having this error so the copy of my eeprom will always give me error unless I edit it, I do not know what is going on

but it wont be a big deal as long as it does not effect when I try to add a bigger hard drive
Last edited by clay.r.08 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsmtech

Post by gsmtech »

The AID DVD can create a copy of the MSDASH files for you as well I believe using it's own files. It can also install MSDASH 5960 for you. You might want to try that once you get the bigger hard disk installed and working,
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

using a 120gb ide hard drive
xboxhdm booted up and I pressed 1
it runs a few lines across the screen and Linux penguin appeared for a moment
then it said type xboxhdm to start, so I type xboxhdm
and then it went to screen that ask me what to do, I told it to build hard drive from scratch
it asked me a few times to format this drive and that drive took a few minutes and then I completed

I turned off computer and stuck 120gb hard drive in the xbox and xbox said error 13

do I need to hot swap

and the disc I burned has the hdd keys In the eeprom folder can I use the same disc to hot swap ?

or do I need to use the xboxhdm maker option to a un lock disc ?

im not sure what I need to do

do I need to hot swap or do I just need to lock the hard drive with xboxhdm by just bushing a button ?
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

I did the get hard drive key option and i was not sure which key to use because i saw 2 of them

i tried the longer key first that said hard drive locking password, i wrote numbers down , rebooted my pc then i picked option 4 to go to unlock tools, i typed in unlockx command and went thru the steps to lock the hard drive to the lock password, i disconnect my 120gb hard drive from my computer completely and then put it in the xbox and the xbox gave error i think it was error 13

so then i unlocked the hard drive with that same password and then i tried the other shorter hd key number i saw, i locked hard drive with that password and the xbox gave 06 error

am i suppose to hot swap because i have not tried to do that yet ?
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

i used option 3 trying to lock

much easier since it gets the hd key automatically

i still got error when i try to start the xbox with new hard drive connected

its a 120gb wd caviar by the way

does the hd key change everytime i turn on the xbox ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

im gonna go to sleep, mess with it some more later

my xboxhdm 1.9 came with stock c drive files, I might use Xplorer360 and filezilla so I only have exactly the same files on the 120gb as the working files on the 10gb

also there are jumper selections on my 10gb xbox hard drive it has a jumper set to cable select

the 120gb has jumoer selections but has nothing for a jumper

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I made sure the 120gb hard drive was unlocked and hooked up to my computer but Xplorer360 did not see it

I guess I will start over from the beginning with xboxhdm
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

now im just trying to clone the 10gb hard drive that is working and booting up the xbox

im cloning 10gb (dev a) to 120gb (dev c)

screen says to go get a beer this could take awhile and I think I will go get a beer

no progress screen but I guess I will give it at least a few hours, I think there was about 4 or 5 gb of free space left on the 10gb so 5 or 6 gb of data to clone

I had to change my dvd drive jumper from master to cable select xboxhdm says my dvd drive is (dev d)

xboxhdm recognized all 3 devices ... 10gb hard drive, 120gb hard drive and my dvd drive which I think is a kreaon drive for ripping xbox games years ago
I stopped doing that a long time ago, I think I read somewhere that there is something better than kreaon now, it might of been some issue with xbox 360 games got just a little bit bigger and the kreon became obsolete , I don't know I use a reset glitch hack now and im never going back to buring xbox 360 games

I could burn games and play online until Microsoft made another xbox update then its time to flash again or wait for a fix until you can flash again and always worry if you make a mistake they are gonna bann you anyways

its just easier to buy the game you want to play online on xbox 360, I only play halo reach and marvel vs Capcom 2, much easier to buy the games not too many games I want to play online if I could play them online without buying them

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i'm reading some people cloned to a 120gb in 10 minutes some a hour, others waited 24 hours and did not have success until they tried other cloning software

Im probably just gonna see if I can format the 120gb to fatx and try to get xboxexplorer to open it to copy file from 10gb with filezilla
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

I had a brain fart when I saw for only a second that when I told the computer to make a xbox hard drive it said no udata , tdata,

I realized I can ftp my xbox files over into the correct folder of xboxhdm in my computer before I make a iso image

well this is what I am doing now so , I think I finally figured it out, you were trying to tell me but I did not get it

I was trying to use xboxexplore on the larger hard drive and that is not what I was suppose to do

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got it working now, now I know how to do everything to buy Xbox's, mod them, and sell them

Thanks
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

this is a good guide for cloning to larger hard drives using chimp files
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726sttXB ... M0KJ82QiMa

I think it is easier than using xboxhdm but im still glad I know how to use xboxhdm it can do things that you can not do with chimp

chimp seems much better at copying large amounts of files than xboxhdm, xboxhdm did not work for me when I told it to clone but I am reading that using chimp is great for cloning
gsmtech

Post by gsmtech »

clay.r.08 wrote:I had a brain fart when I saw for only a second that when I told the computer to make a xbox hard drive it said no udata , tdata,

I realized I can ftp my xbox files over into the correct folder of xboxhdm in my computer before I make a iso image

well this is what I am doing now so , I think I finally figured it out, you were trying to tell me but I did not get it

I was trying to use xboxexplore on the larger hard drive and that is not what I was suppose to do

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got it working now, now I know how to do everything to buy Xbox's, mod them, and sell them

Thanks
I hope your going to be making a "donation" to the forum with the profits from your new found xbox modding and selling business...
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

gsmtech wrote:I hope your going to be making a "donation" to the forum with the profits from your new found xbox modding and selling business...
Last edited by clay.r.08 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Bunny

Post by 2 Bunny »

The new console based easy procedure makes the computer based solutions of the past obsolete...
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

2 Bunny wrote:The new console based easy procedure makes the computer based solutions of the past obsolete...
LMAO Chimp isnt new, and its also dangerous. Hotswapping runs the risk of killing your hardware. Some may like the idea of doing exactly what every IDE HDD manufacturer says is not supported by their product, but others like to be safe and do it proper.

@OP
Forget SID, forget AID, you just need your eeprom and a C/E backup, or your eeprom and Babylon/AutoBuilder/Kingroach
2 Bunny

MASTERED Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

SPPV wrote:
2 Bunny wrote:The new console based easy procedure makes the computer based solutions of the past obsolete...
LMAO Chimp isnt new, and its also dangerous. Hotswapping runs the risk of killing your hardware. Some may like the idea of doing exactly what every IDE HDD manufacturer says is not supported by their product, but others like to be safe and do it proper.

@OP
Forget SID, forget AID, you just need your eeprom and a C/E backup, or your eeprom and Babylon/AutoBuilder/Kingroach
You're the only one laughing at the process; everyone else is laughing at you for living in the past of the cruddy old computer based solutions of long ago :D . It's not that "dangerous" once you think about it - the only difference between this process and booting up a comptuer normally is that in this case, the hard drive has had power for a few seconds before you connect the ribbon cable; it's basically the same thing.
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

Your hillarious. Chimp came out like 9 years ago, Is that the past? Theres nothing cruddy about using your eeprom and doing an HDD upgrade the safe way. And any softmodder should learn how to use HDM because in worst case scenarios its your only friend. Yes HDM is old, but it doesnt change the fact it doesnt require a hotswap and that it has features and abilities that Chimp doesnt.

But the point is calling Chimp the new way is grossly misleading since its not new, and advocating hotswap over use of eeprom isnt really something that should be being told to people just starting out.
2 Bunny

MASTERED 2.0 Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

SPPV wrote:Your hillarious. Chimp came out like 9 years ago, Is that the past? Theres nothing cruddy about using your eeprom and doing an HDD upgrade the safe way. And any softmodder should learn how to use HDM because in worst case scenarios its your only friend. Yes HDM is old, but it doesnt change the fact it doesnt require a hotswap and that it has features and abilities that Chimp doesnt.

But the point is calling Chimp the new way is grossly misleading since its not new, and advocating hotswap over use of eeprom isnt really something that should be being told to people just starting out.
My "hillarious" what?

When I describe the "chimp" method, I'm not asking anyone to do a "hotswap" or anything unsafe - just the safe and easy way. You don't even have to find an old computer or motherboard or burn CDs at their lowest setting or reinstall anything afterward. I don't want to subject people to those kind of complications their first time by advocating the difficulties of XBOXHDM ;)