Tube Change In An Arcade.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Tube Change In An Arcade.

Post by xman »

Xbox modding to a degree I guess, well it is for me because my boys use these machines for there Xboxes and 360s. Been doing this for years although now days it is putting T.V.s in arcades rather than genuine arcade monitors as I was originally trained to do. A lot cheaper but a tad more difficult using T.V.s. but this cheapness is appealing when you buy an arcade because old arcades are real cheap with a dead arcade tube in them and who here doesn't like something the neighbor doesn't have for your man cave, kitchen, lounge room whatever especially when it's cheap. ;)
You get an arcade from a seller with a dud tube, them him to get it out and get rid of it, saves you doing it. This is my machine here-
This is the donor T.V. being tested. It's a 68cm to suit the arcade cab-
The back of the T.V.. I need at least 2 inputs, this T.V. has 4. Two have SVID and one is component. Cool. Not HD but it does have a nice sharp picture and remember, we are cheap. :lol:
Ok, after disconnecting the power first, :shock: take off the back cover of the T.V.,,,,Screws hold it and they usually have an arrow indicating these screws need to come out to get the cover off.
Cover now off and removed-
OK, tricky part comes tomorrow......Till then.
GhostlyGamer

Re: Tube Change In An Arcade.

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Wait...You are putting an Xbox...In AN ARCADE CABINET?????
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I don't think he is, I think he's just changing the screen. However an xbox with Coinops on works great in an arcade cab, it's becoming quite an active scene now the Xbox Arcade cabinets.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

whufclee wrote:However an xbox with Coinops on works great in an arcade cab, it's becoming quite an active scene now the Xbox Arcade cabinets.
thats what i was thinking, all you would need is a modified button pad.

just searched it and found this http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119435.0

might just have to be a summer project, especially if i can make a dvd drive door for the side
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

It's a very fun project, I made an arcade cab about 18 months ago (well I say I made it 18 months ago... I started it 18 months ago and am still adding stuff to it!). I wanted to be able to play Dreamcast, GFW and touchscreen games on mine so couldn't use the xbox, however if I didn't want those systems I'd have definately made one with an xbox. With almost instant boot times and the amazing Coinops interface I don't think you can go too far wrong. Below is my one which I just sold to a mate the other week, I'm currently making a new bespoke one as we speak, in fact I'm covered in MDF dust whilst writing this reply!

xman

Post by xman »

OK, now for the tricky part. You need to pull apart all the sub assemblies that make up a retail T.V.. This varies enormously between the brands, models and age of the T.V.. This particular T.V. is going to be an arse as nothing is small but it is good quality, especially the sound. May as well start with the riskiest part of the job, the HT lead to tube connection. It will look exactly like this, maybe smaller, maybe bigger but always like this on a CRT T.V.. Care must be taken not to put your hand or body to close to it or it "WILL" zap you. The tube un-powered will hold a change indefinitely and even if you discharge it, it will recharge. It's this rubber thing with the thick wire coming out that looks like a suction cap you need to be careful of-
You'll find it on the top or bottom side of the tube, usually the top. It will have a thick lead like a car ignition lead leading to it from the chassis board, ( board with all electronic parts on it under the tube). Now to get this sucker out. Grab a wooden ruler, plastic ruler or even a plastic egg flip as I used. Basically anything that allows you to have your hand about 30mm or 1 foot away from the rubber or actually the metal clips that hold this part into the tube. Slip the thin end of what piece of plastic or wood tool you have and slip it under a side of the rubber and put it under till you feel it hit the clip. It is fairly robust and your not likely to break it. Now lift the tool so the rubber cap lifts off the tube on the side your lifting and grab the EDGE of the rubber cap with your other hand's fingers and peel it up and you'll see the clip. While holding back the side of the rubber, get your tool and push the clip in further and that side of the clip will release. Now do the same on the other side of the cap to release that side of the clip and the whole cap should come off in your fingers-
The lead is completely harmless and you can handle it as you wish, just don't go to close to the now exposed 5-10mm hole in the tube as it will bite you. This BITE is just like a spark plug bite. :shock:
Next, on the back of the tube is called the "neck" for obvious reasons and it will have a board on it. The "neck board". Grab both sides of it and pull it straight off the back of the tube, it's on pins and is "keywayed", so it can only go back on one way, the correct way. ;) when you need to put it back on. This is the neck board.-
Now start to pull the cables or harness from either the Chassis or tube. They will be on connectors. No matter how good you believe you are. LABEL them with numbers attached to the leads and draw a rough sketch of there location on a piece of paper doing one lead at a time as they are disconnected. If the lead goes from one part on a connector to another part on a connector, leave one end connected, you don't want to strip it, just pull it apart enough to allow you to work on it. This is like what you should have once you have the leads labelled and the sketch of there locations-
This is the chassis with it's wires disconnected and labelled-
OK, so now you should have all the sub-assemblies apart, (neck board doesn't disconnect from the chassis by the way)
Now this is how the tube bolts, screws, what ever into the cab-
Measure these locations on the tube and make sure it WILL suit those of the cab. If they don't go through the rings on the tube you'll need to move them on the cab to suit or it simply won't fit. This tube is from a 68cm or 26" T.V. and the cab is a 26" so it will fit.
Right in goes the tube, (being real careful not to go to close to the hole in the tube), and while holding the face so it doesn't flip out, on go the nuts and washers. This cab has bolts sticking out for the tube to go onto. Nuts are all on so now the tube is in. You can see the 4 bolts and nuts that location the tube in the cab in this picture. Chassis goes in tomorrow.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Excellent work fella. I do admire your mad skills, most people would just try and hook up an LCD screen. I applaud you for sticking with the trusty old (and very heavy!) CRT. Jolly good show old chap :D
petewxm

Post by petewxm »

Last edited by petewxm on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
petewxm

Post by petewxm »

whufclee wrote:It's a very fun project, I made an arcade cab about 18 months ago (well I say I made it 18 months ago... I started it 18 months ago and am still adding stuff to it!). I wanted to be able to play Dreamcast, GFW and touchscreen games on mine so couldn't use the xbox, however if I didn't want those systems I'd have definately made one with an xbox. With almost instant boot times and the amazing Coinops interface I don't think you can go too far wrong. Below is my one which I just sold to a mate the other week, I'm currently making a new bespoke one as we speak, in fact I'm covered in MDF dust whilst writing this reply!

That is amazing, I want 1!
xman

Post by xman »

Had to alter a few things like extend the original T.V. control panel wiring so it can be accessed by the user from outside the cab. Yes, I know in a perfect world it could have been inside the cab and controlled via the remote control for the T.V. but not in the world with my kids. remotes get lost or hidden by the other, batteries go flat and I could go on..Been down that track before.
This was how the T.V. was originally controlled. This is the panel after I dremelled it off the bottom of the T.V.. :lol:
Had to fold back and locate the board that stuck out the front under the tube, no room for it here in the cab. I'd of liked to have removed it but it has the sound amp on it. :twisted: Good thing it was wired on a flexible cable. It's the board in the top left corner.-
Still working on the front panel. Got the speakers mounted, cables "should" be long enough I really hope otherwise I will be extending them. You know, you can get some T.V.s like the one that I put in this cab some time ago and they just go straight in with no real dramas but this one, I knew it was going to be a pig, it weighed a lot. :lol:
On the to do list is locate the ON OFF button on the front panel as with the IR receiver, mount the middle speaker, plug everything altogether, cross my fingers, turn it on from around a corner and listen for a bang or a blast. Simple :shock:
Joeispark

Post by Joeispark »

I'm in the process of doing the same thing myself to an old Taito underfire cab. And i was wondering have you done any with the mirror at an angle above screen. I'll try to elaborate as best i can cause i cant find my camera to show you pic. The monitor (tv in this case) is lying with screen pointed skyward with a mirror at an angle over it so that your looking at reflection of screen when looking at cab so the problem im having is the image is in reverse like if you hold a piece of paper with wrinting on it in front of mirror. I had this problem before with arcade cab while doing a mame conversion but that was easy enough to sort in software. i just don't know if possible with xbox. I'm also doing a mini one aswell in shape of mortal kombat cab using xbox mainboard , 2.5" hardrive, a pc case light (to use for marquee) and 7 inch screen from dvd player and an atx pc power supply to power everything and i must say its turning out alot better than i thought only measures 11" wide 10" deep (front to back) and 18" tall made from 3/4 inch ply as soon i find my camera i'll post a couple of pics. But any help on the reverse screen would be greatley apreciated.
xman

Post by xman »

We, yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. Early Taito Space Invarder cabs were exactly the same as were several other "reverse screen machines". Your problem is your image is showing up inverted through the mirror in the cab because your monitors image is being reversed through the mirror? Two ways of going about it. I imagine it still has the original Taito monitor frame in the cab?. You can simply unbolt the coach bolts that hold it to the cab walls and relocate it in a position that you look straight onto the monitor like the later Taito's had. Relocate the glass and remove the mirror. It is an involved job and you end up with holes from the old frame location in your cab but you can just put in similar coach bolts as the Taito originals and you won't see them.
And the other way is to locate the 4 wire harness connector that goes from the chassis from the tube, (every CRT tube has this 4 wire plug). You cut it in half so now you have 2 x 2 wire plugs. Mark one plug 1 and the other 2 and mark on the chassis itself 1 and 2 so as you know which way it was originally, just so you have something to refer to as you try the combos. ;) Now these 2 plugs, because they can now be manipulated can be swapped with each other and also turned backwards in either of the 2 positions and these combinations will do things like invert your picture on your monitor, turn the image backwards and turn the image north or south or east west. The combos are best just tried till you get exactly what you need to get from the monitor. You will find one of the combos that will just invert your image on the monitor that will appear correct once viewed through the mirror as in your case. you won't damage anything, Just change the combos with the power off of coarse as with the cutting of the plug in half. Good luck.