Lost Softmod: Errors 7 & 21

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Dom DXecutioner

Lost Softmod: Errors 7 & 21

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

What a drag...

So my xbox lost its softmod and boots to the original MS dashboard. The odd thing is that from time to time it will boot to Error 7 (which i read on and followed the rommendations); Each time everything loads, I put in splinter cell and it loads it, I then select the exploit saves and it reboots to Error 21 without fail.

I contemplated rebuilding the drive, the only problem is that I cannot seem to find the backup cd with its respective files (eeprom).

Is this the end of this xbox? If it is, can the HDD be unlocked to be used on another xbox?

Thanks for your time!
Nextelhalo

Re: Lost Softmod: Errors 7 & 21

Post by Nextelhalo »

Man i wish i could help you on this Dom. Someone with more softmod knowledge can probably guide you but never fear, it's never the end with old xbox, it can always be fixed :D
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

5l1p

Post by 5l1p »

Have you tried changing the IDE cable? I had a similar problem last week! Swapped the cable for a new one and all worked fine again.
xman

Post by xman »

God damm, Would I be wrong in thinking the HDD could be on it's way out?. Word of advise boys, change your stock original HDDs. These things were poor quality when they were made and you've had them for a long time now. Good quality "security" HDDs have a warranty of 7 years operating 24 hours a day. Commercial quality HDDs have a 2 year 24/7 warranty. Xbox HDDs had a 1 year warranty because the machine had a 1 year warranty. They do have a limited life and that is just about up now. Dom, you've had dramas with this one before if I'm correct.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

i have had a few that loose files on them and cause these sorts of errors
Dom DXecutioner

GhostlyGamer wrote:May be of help http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-271.html
I'll give that a shot, thanx Ghosly...
5l1p wrote:Have you tried changing the IDE cable? I had a similar problem last week! Swapped the cable for a new one and all worked fine again.
I don't have extra cables, but will look into it... thanks
xman wrote:God damm, Would I be wrong in thinking the HDD could be on it's way out?.
This could possibly be the culprit... and it's not a stock HDD, it's a Seagate ST31000333AS 1TB.
xman wrote:Dom, you've had dramas with this one before if I'm correct.
No, I was loosing the mod on another xbox I had donated to a hospital, I believe you suggested something about installing with C-Shadow and I haven't had that issue on that xbox since. This is different xbox.
Dom DXecutioner

Ok, soooo...

I think i found the back-up disk; i tried hooking up the HDD to the PC and each time it has been sloooooow to detect, it finally detects it but when it does, both the primary master and slave show as the Seagate HDD (very odd). My guess is the HDD has issues and must go.

I got another HDD drive (Seagate ST3100011A) whichis is "lockable" as the xboxdrives.x-pec.com suggests; I was able to load the primary master (HDD) and slave (DVD-Drive) and HboxHDM booted fast and successfully, I build a new drive from scratch, loaded C and E partitions successfully. The problem I'm having now is the locking the HDD part. It keeps giving me the "Drive on primary master is frozen" error; i followed the BIOS autodetect suggestions but my bios has no such option, not even remotely close. I tried this in two different computers: 1) Gateway 505gr (AMD) 2) An Intel Pentium 4 based PC... they both say the same.

I also tried using the XboxHDM v2.2 USB; the instructions explicitly suggests to copy the files to the root of the USB, I did that but when I select boot from USB, it gives me a boot error.

Anyway, I thought I'd shared this as I'm just about done and give up; more than likely i'll be trashing this stupid xbox tomorrow. 3 hours of trying with no results is very disencouraging!

:/
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Dom: is there a drive list (eg. Sata-0, Sata-1, sata-2, Pata-0, Pata-1)? If so, you should be able to turn off specific drives(this is the "autodetection"). Turn of the Pata that is running to your hdd, that way the bios will not scan for the drive and unlock it and Freeze it unlocked so the OS can change things. With it turned off, the bios won't look, but the Xhdm WILL look for it, and detect it. Then you can proceed as normal with the lockhd -a ! :D

I had the same problem with a 300gb Barracuda, it took me forever I figure out that the drive list was autodetection
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Like GhostlyGamer suggests you probably need to switch off autodetection. If that's not an option in your bios (I've had a couple of PCs where it's not an option) then don't plug the IDE cable into the HDD until you see the XboxHDM menu. Once you see that you have to be quick! Quickly slot the IDE Cable in and choose whichever XboxHDM option you need.

Have you tried xboxhdm 2.2a? I don't know if that will overcome the problem but it loads up into a version of linux so you have a proper GUI and can run from from a USB stick.
asbo

Post by asbo »

Not sure if this is relevant but when I used to use XboxHDM on an old Dell I'd have to do this:
Turn on the PC with the optical drive attached and the disc in, no hard drives attached.
Wait for POST to almost complete then hit pause/break on the keyboard, attach the xbox hard drive, then hit pause/break again. It'd resume POST and boot from the CD.

Note: On this old Dell I used there wasn't an actual POST screen, just a Dell logo and a loading bar, I'd have to hit pause just before it got to the end. If I didn't do it in the right place XboxHDM wouldn't detect the HDD.
I think I probably attached it after the drive detection stage, but I have no way of knowing.
I'd also have to mess around with the IDE slots and some BIOS options to get it to work correctly.

Hopefully that's some help, I remember it took me a while to figure it out and no doubt different PC's have different quirks. I keep that old Dell around just in case since newer PC's don't even have IDE.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Are you sure that the softmod has gone from the original drive? they throw up errors if they try to load a softmod twice, if it still plays pirate disks then the softmod is still there, also if you can try backing up a audio disk with the ms dash you will see if the hdd has packed up for sure.
Dom DXecutioner

whufclee wrote:Have you tried xboxhdm 2.2a? I don't know if that will overcome the problem but it loads up into a version of linux so you have a proper GUI and can run from from a USB stick.
I tried to use it and when i read the "instructions" it says to simply copy the files onto the USB; I did that but when I try to boot my pc from the USB, it says "Invalid or damaged Bootable partition." I'm sure it's something retarted I'm not doing... any ideas?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Can't remember exactly what you have to do but I'm pretty sure you need to use grub4dos, take a look at this link (especially step 7 onwards).