Xbox No Longer Powers On

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ChrisYorkshire

Xbox No Longer Powers On

Post by ChrisYorkshire »

I have an old device which doesn't power on any more. It probably hasn't been used in 4 years. I didn't build it myself but I think it's an Xecuter X3 chipped Xbox. There's a panel on the left hand side of the device with 5 jump switches which I think have been altered, unfortunately.

When you try powering up, the X on the front panel goes red for a few seconds and the HD activity light goes blue for the same amount of time. No fans spin up and neither of the lights around the power button or eject button light up.

I wondered if there were any guides to revive a device in this sort of condition, please. I can provide further information it needed. Many thanks for any hints and tips!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Xbox No Longer Powers On

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The LED and colours you describe are non-standard so it is difficult to say what it means.

The Xecuter X3 I don't know that well but I'm guessing the blue light is the chip is on/working indicator like the Xecuter 2.6CE (which I do own).

I think the short solid red LED ring around the tray eject/close button is the only thing to go on here and that error flag unfortunately, apparently, can be due to overheating or, if it persists, suggests hardware failure of some kind.

Does starting it from the tray eject/close button rather than the power button produce any difference in behaviour?

If its been in storage for some time you need to open it up and check the capacitors for doming or leakage. If it is a v1.6 the clock capacitor (which in a v1.6 has to be working) is less likely to be the problem but since the thing is closing down almost immediately and not even spinning up the fan or HDD capacitor or hardware problems anywhere could be the cause.

You can't even rule out the chip failing either but best to put that possibility aside for the time being.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisYorkshire

Post by ChrisYorkshire »

Many thanks for your response and apologies for the delayed reply.

Starting via eject button produces the same result unfortunately.

I will find some time this weekend to open it up and see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks once again for taking the time to think the problem through and for your response.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

it does suggest a 12 rail problem as the 3.3v/5v for the chip is still present if you get lights on the bank switch and are getting 3.3v stand by to the smc for the buttons to work.
id expect a 12v rail shorted from a bad cap as suggested by Coldly-Indifferent.
check voltages on the hdd/ dvd connector or powersupply plug