ACL DVD2Xbox

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Coldly-Indifferent

ACL DVD2Xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I hope this is the best place to ask this but does anyone here know for certain the exact meaning of "ACL" in relation to its use with the DVD2 Xbox app?

In general computing ACL means Access Control List and I've always assumed that is what it meant when used for this purpose too. I've even used that definition in posts about DVD2Xbox matters myself. No one has corrected me on that if it is wrong. But for some time I have noticed posts, usually on other Xbox forums or similar sources, where DVD2Xbox's "ACL list" is described as either the "Auto Correct List" or "Action Control List".

Which is correct?
debra94

Re: ACL DVD2Xbox

Post by debra94 »

..hoo well ..I think, after a little googling, that is correct "auto correct list"
How they explain here https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/dvd2xbox
Coldly-Indifferent

That was one of the sources I actually found in my own researches and one of them that prompted this thread.

Thanks for the link but I'm not convinced; access control, auto-correct and even action control are terms that could overlap in meaning because what the DVD2Xbox ACLs apparently do.

DVD2Xbox has over 200 ACL files available although I have no idea where you'd find the whole set now. They're used, I thought and have seen described by others with far higher Xbox knowledge pedigree than myself, to patch the "default.xbe" of installed games which need it. But why do they need this patching, what is it actually doing?

The explanation most commonly offered is that the games which need patching are set up to use a specific access path to the original disc content ie. they use the expected path ie the D:\drive rather than the installed game's folder on the HDD eg. E:\Games\ or wherever it is located.

To 'auto correct' that makes sense but so does 'access control' and the admittedly more generalised terminology 'action control' too.

I am hoping there is someone here who has actually written a DVD2Xbox ACL patch and can supply a definitive answer and explanation as to what the ACL patches actually do.

There's even a chance that there is no agreed definition and that all are correct.
debra94

Post by debra94 »

There's even a chance that there is no agreed definition and that all are correct.
Yup yup you have right..

..however. ..continue my reading/googling...
ACL files were created as a way for DVD2xbox to delete unneeded files from xbox game backups without harming the game itself, and without having to do any file editing that non-programmers might have trouble doing.
so sounds like "auto correct"

Much more interesting is that link https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/t ... D2Xbox/acl.. where is possible take a look at some acl file ..for example this 56550039.acl where inside is possible read
It will patch the default.xbe to allow you to play off the hdd.
...even this sounds like "auto correct "

...so maybe Rocky5 can give you the right answer...
kaos_engr

Post by kaos_engr »

From the Wayback machine's capture of DVD2Xbox author's FAQ, he wrote:
What does ACL mean and why do I need it ?

ACL means action control list and you could see it as a batch file where dvd2xbox looks for information on how it should patch the game. Dvd 2 xbox can patch every game individual with acl files in the form [gameID][_pal|_ntsc].acl. Take the game Riddick as example. dvd2xbox tries to determine via the eeprom if your xbox is set to PAL or NTSC (my box is set to PAL). Then it tries to load the ACL file 56550026_pal.acl (since 0.5.9). If it can't find the file it tries to load the ACL file 56550026.acl (default for 0.5.8 and previous versions). If there is no special acl file the default.acl is used. The default.acl contains all known generic patches like media check 1+2 and the fatx detection.
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/200604280838 ... faq#h66-11

Therefore, ACL means Action Control List
Coldly-Indifferent

Good find that old WayBack article: seems authoritative so ACL = Action Control List is what it is from now on.

Interested about that stuff on the Riddick ACL because that was my first encounter with a game that won't display properly when installed until it is ACL patched. As I found out myself you need the game/console/patch regions all to match for it to work. So they be must be either all PAL or all NTSC but once done, as PAL users would usually do, they can then swap the Xbox back to NTSC afterwards to be able to use 480p and it will still play.
F.O.R.C.E.

ACL DVD2Xbox

Post by F.O.R.C.E. »

Hi all,

im looking for a external slim DVD to go in my glovebox or dash as I dont want to keep going in the boot to change dvd/cds all the time.

any recommendations?

cheers
Coldly-Indifferent

Sorry to seem unfriendly but why on Earth are you posting that question here? What has it to do with the Xbox, XBMC4Xbox let alone this particular thread?

Post it in the Off Topic-Discussion and maybe you'll get an answer but really I think you'd be better off finding a dedicated AV forum if you're interested in getting help about such matters.