Soft Modded Started Freezing

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
hiddenevil

Soft Modded Started Freezing

Post by hiddenevil »

Hey guys

I'm not a regular on here, mostly because shortly after signing up I got my Xbox all setup and never needed to touch it. It has been working strong for years, until now.

The first sign of issue was when I inserted a DVD and XBMC froze, I rebooted the system and it froze while loading the dashboard, turned it off and on and managed to get as far as the menu system on the DVD I wanted to watch. It seemed to sort itself out for a while until today, when it was freezing up a lot and simply didn't want to play ball. The only time it doesn't seem to mess up is when I power up with the eject button, bringing up the settings, FTP, file manager menu system.

This xbox was soft modded around 2009 and has been used as a media center / game system ever since. The only thing that really saw and update was XBMC.

a friend suggested the hard drive might be on the way out, I wondered if the caps were showing their age.

Any advice would be welcome.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Soft Modded Started Freezing

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I guess at the HDD being the culprit, especially if it has had a lot of use. It might not be that of course, there could be low level file corruption that is causing the problem or, as you suggest, some sort of component failure.

I'd try clearing the CACHE first and if the HDD is really full also freeing up some significant space.

Whatever the cause I'd treat it as a warning the HDD is failing in some way and make sure that everything needed on it is backed up to PC ASAP. Obviously if you have a spare known good HDD of any sort you could temporarily substitute that, doing a fresh softmod, and if the freezing problem persists you have at least ruled out the HDD and the softmod as the problem.

TBH unless somebody here can identify it as something else simple and easily remedied a problem with the softmod or the HDD itself is preferable to anything else.
Jettnis

Re: Soft Modded Started Freezing

Post by Jettnis »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 am I guess at the HDD being the culprit, especially if it has had a lot of use. It might not be that of course, there could be low level file corruption that is causing the problem or, as you suggest, some sort of component failure.

I'd try these appetite suppressants here and clearing the CACHE first and if the HDD is really full also freeing up some significant space.

Whatever the cause I'd treat it as a warning the HDD is failing in some way and make sure that everything needed on it is backed up to PC ASAP. Obviously if you have a spare known good HDD of any sort you could temporarily substitute that, doing a fresh softmod, and if the freezing problem persists you have at least ruled out the HDD and the softmod as the problem.

TBH unless somebody here can identify it as something else simple and easily remedied a problem with the softmod or the HDD itself is preferable to anything else.
Is this HDD the number one suspect when stuff like that starts to happen btw?