force game to 480p

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
pajretX

force game to 480p

Post by pajretX »

Hi everyone!
I own 1.6 with aladdin chip installed. xbox is connected via homemade component cable to a TV and it all works great.
What I want to achieve is to have 720p in xbmc (my primary dash) but games to load in max 480p.
Is there a way to do that?

Best Regards,

--
pX
PPlayerxx

Re: force game to 480p

Post by PPlayerxx »

Only few games supports 720p and 1080i so, you can play in high definition only with the hdmi adapter for Xbox (or component cables). A bit more games supports the 480p, and I don't know if you can force it to high resolutions.
There is a list for all the games with high resolution support: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... play_modes
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The simplest way of ensuring that all games play in 480p is to boot the MS dash and set it there to 480p and 720p.

With XBMC if you have the dash on 720p unless the game is one of the few that support 720p it will always play at the next best resolution supported. That will be 480p.

Most NTSC and PAL games do support 480p if the Xbox is NTSC or PAL region changed to NTSC using the Enigmah Region Changer app.

The only fly in the ointment is that you're using a v1.6 Xbox which has the Xcalibur video encoder. This is notorious for playing about 30 Xbox games, including some very well regarded ones like Panzer Dragoon Orta, by default only at 480i. This can be overcome forcing it to display those games in 480p by using particular loaders.

Rocky5 created a XBMC script as a solution to this v1.6 problem a few years ago. It applies a patch to each game's folder to use the appropriate loader. As it is applied to each game once done it will play on any other dash ie. UnleashX in 480p too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZzFDJrN7W8
pajretX

Post by pajretX »

Thanks for your replies.
Just co clarify - I do not want the best possible resolution for games. 480p will do just fine.
I just want my dash to work at 720p and games to work at 480p or less.
It's all about games like SoulCalibur 2 - that work in 4:3 ratio @720p but can output 16:9 @480p.
I was thinking if someone came up with a solution like forcing region by pressing the white button and going to game settings (while browsing games in XBMC) but to be able to choose at what resolution to run a game at.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

If you're happy to get what you want just by pressing a few buttons then for those few games (about 50 and that includes some yearly sports game update releases too) that do support 720p but not in the format you want you could just go into XBMC's settings and temporarily change the display to WS 480p.

AFAIK Soul Calibur II is unique(?) in having native 720p support but only WS support when using 480p.

However it did occur to me that Rocky5's Xbox v1.6 480p Loader script or the technique he used might be adapted to this purpose. That adds a patch to games which refuse to work in 480p on a v1.6 putting specific loader XBEs in each game folder so they use that rather than the original default.xbe. If the loader used can be fixed only to launch in 480p it could do what you want for Soul Calibur II.

It may not be possible but worth asking him or someone else who understands the method he used.