Xbox used to go to Unleash X now only MS Dash

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
jonathan

Xbox used to go to Unleash X now only MS Dash

Post by jonathan »

My friend did a hardmod on my xbox in 2003. It worked for a number of years. Then the past few years it would take a few times to go to Unleash X. I would have to hold the power button a few times then it would start. Eventually, Unleash X would not start at all. Now it boots to the MS Dash. I called a few companies and individuals and asked them what might be the problem, however, they can't give me a straight answer or they want me to send my xbox in and they will work on it. I miss all the games and movies on my hard drive so I don't want to risk sending it to the company and they mess it up. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem. Thanks.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Xbox used to go to Unleash X now only MS Dash

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

If it is chipped then you should still be able to boot any sort of installer disc like AID. That would give you FTP access and allow you to get everything off your Xbox's HDD if needed. The HDD is probably unlocked (unlike a softmod) so with Xplorer360 and a USB HDD housing you've also that option available too. So the Xbox's HDD content should still all be recoverable whatever the problem.

Firstly: do you have a backup of the eeprom?

I think that before doing anything else you need to identify exactly what chip is fitted and if you know the BIOS it was using. It could just be a connection problem, a wire has come adrift, dodgy/dried solder or something like that. Chipped Xboxes are not my thing but I'm sure a picture of the chip in place will help others here identify if that is the trouble.

Does the chip have any external switch array? With some chip installs this allows you to switch between BIOS banks. It is worth trying to boot using the second bank.

If it is a chip failure then you've either been very lucky or the HDD is locked. If the chip had failed completely and HDD was unlocked the Xbox would just have a blank or error screen. The fact you still get the MS dash suggests it is either locked (which is a problem) or simply that the UnleashX main dash has been corrupted somehow.

In the case of the latter the AID disc can be used to do a One-Click chipped dash install ie. a new UnleashX dashboard. That could just be all that is needed to fix it. However the fact you've had increasing boot trouble over the years suggests that there is some other problem.

You could try that One Click dash install on your existing HDD but I'd recommend getting everything on it you want backed up first. If the HDD is locked then that is an extra hurdle. So what I would do is treat the HDD as suspect until proven otherwise. You should be able to install a new HDD for relatively little cost (HDD + new SATA adapter + 80 wire IDE cable).

Fit the new HDD and cold boot the AID disc and if the chip is still doing its job it will walk you through the initial formatting and UnleashX main dash set up process. Once done test it to see if it has the same problem. Hopefully it won't but if it does at least then you'll know it is the Xbox or chip with the issue and the contents of the HDD are still recoverable.
jonathan

Re: Xbox used to go to Unleash X now only MS Dash

Post by jonathan »

Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I will follow your instructions.