Hotswap Help

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
GoTeamScotch

Hotswap Help

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I got an Xbox from Japan and swapped the motherboard with a 1ghz/128mb board but now I have this japanese-region motherboard and I want to mod it. It's a v1.4 board that I plan on doing a TSOP-flash with.

My copy of Splinter Cell doesn't work because it's from the wrong region, so I figured I would softmod it via the hotswap method. I've done it in the past before switching to the gamesave method, so it's not a new process to me.

I initially attempted this using an IDE-USB adapter connected to my laptop. I've used this adapter to build SATA based hard drives in the past with success (using XboxHDM), so I figured it should work. After several failed attempts, I figured maybe there was a problem with using the adapter like that. I'm not sure why. So I switched to using a hardmodded Xbox of mine that has an X3 chip in it. I loaded up Chimp, did the hotswap, connected the stock drive to my chipped Xbox, then did a scan to see if the slave (stock) drive was locked or not. Every time it was reported as being locked.

I also tried taking my stock drive and making it my chipped Xbox's primary HDD and every time I did that it gave an error 6 (wrong HDD password... meaning it's locked).

My Japanese motherboard has been updated using a copy of Halo 2 so the dashboard is 5960 with kernel 4034.

I've tried these methods found in the Tutorials section of this subreddit, including
  • Burn an audio CD and rip it to your hard drive. Play music from your hard drive for a few seconds and pause it, then hotswap. Note: I didn't use a burned disc, just a regular audio disc. Not sure if that matters.
  • Let the Xbox sit at the dashboard for a few minutes, then hotswap.
  • Remove the DVD drive power cable (8 wires) before booting. This results in an error 12, which indicates the hard drive is unlocked.
  • Hotswap the drive right after you see the Microsoft logo upon boot.
  • Unplug the Xbox from your TV, then unplug the DVD drive's power cable and hotswap when the Eject button light turns red.
What am I doing wrong? I can also post a video if that helps.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Rocky5

Re: Hotswap Help

Post by Rocky5 »

Just boot the dashboard as the HDD is unlocked for the XLogo onwards.

You have a couple seconds to swap the ide cable though or the drive will go into lockdown mode or just hang.

Not also make sure you aren’t de-powering it when trying to pull cables in/out.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
MeatlessRock21

Post by MeatlessRock21 »

Can Somebody help me out? I created a xbox hdd but i didnt copy the eeprom.bin file to the hdd....... is there anything i can do to make it work?
I have the eeprom.bin extracted using a eeprom reader, my stock xbox hddis left without a eeprom
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You're going to have to explain in more detail for anyone here to be able to help.

Is this a softmod?

Are you saying the retail HDD was unlocked for some reason? If so how was that done: accidentally or using ConfigMagic or some other tool?

The first HDD mentioned which you say you "created"; I assume it is also unlocked. How was that built: XBHDM?

Do you have more than one Xbox available?