Emulator launcher for Xtra

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
darknior

Post by darknior »

Hi, i work on a project about many month ... an emulator launcher !
I want use it on xBox to launch the best emulators ever ... the Madmab one, with Surreal, Zsnes, Finalburn, ...

For this i start to use UnleashX ! Because it is fast to boot and can show Xtra (a background and a video preview).
It make it with a list, the best system to do it ... i really don't like the HyperSpin system like do BP with Vision ...
It's too flashy and it is useless :(

Today, i finally finish the 90 systems backgrounds in FULL HD 1080p !
And i have near finish the videos ... again one week and it will be done too :p
All in xBox WMV ... because it is not really the same format than a PC WMV :p

Some finish exemple ...

I works very a lot to make them the most perfect possible :D

And i want to show systems when you choose your cathegory:

My problem :

The problem is that UnleashX can't show many HD backgrounds without crashing :(
And if i convert them all to 854x480 it works better but crash too if you watch a lot of them :(
Like i want have a folder with all home-brews, and xbox games, it is impossible to use :(

BUT with XBMC4XBOX it is possible !
I can put my backgrounds like FANART and i will see them :D

THE PROBLEM is that we don't have video preview :(
I'm sure it is possible to add it like BP do, but not in XMV, and using WMV !
To respect GPL licence ;)

I think the best solution were to use a simple skin and the file system explorer, not the database.
Easier to code ... and easier for users to update :p

On each directory XBMC see the XBE to launch.
It see to the FANART.JPG file for the background.

To ADD :
If the user want it can use a .TBN file for the central SPRITE if maybe we can make it move ... but it is not important ...
The DEFAULT.WMV video to show preview.

AND : an DEFAULT.XML file to put the position of the VIDEO and the sprite if we make it move.
For the moment the SYNOPSIS if include in the background image ... we can let it like that, or the XML must have the text AND the position to place it !

I speak about this project to BuZz and he tell me to post it here ...
Is some one want to help me please ?
All the stuff is near done now :p
Thanks
darknior

Re: Emulator launcher for Xtra

Post by darknior »

Nobody interesting by this project ?
So bad :(
Dom DXecutioner

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

For the Xbox games, this can almost be accomplished (but can be achieved via python); the automatic play of a video cannot be done in its current form unless another button would be included to view the details (synopsis, genre, year, etc.); this also requires a python script with a custom window to fetch the info and display it; then the skinner would have to implement this feature.

I have already done this and can be seen in one of my posts; I have not worked much in xbmc stuff since my laptop went out (the screen) and I haven't fixed it yet!

As for emulator, this would also have to be done from a custom database and custom windows or an addon/script, if you prefer.

I believe there is already something like that in existence.
darknior

Post by darknior »

Thanks

I don't understand all you write perfectly, but why do you want to use a database only for some emulators (XBE) in some directories ?
I think it is better and quicker to use an XML with the information ...
Database is cool, but longer to make and less easy to update for users ...
But it is the best if you want to add a search engine !

Why do you write it is impossible to add videos ?
BP do it with XMV ... UnleashX do it too .... i'm sure we can :D
But it will take some works :(
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I like what you've done so far, keep up the good work.
Dom DXecutioner

@darknior: if u mean just view a preview of the emulator at work, the current database can be used; if u mean a preview for each rom, then a new approach must be used.

As for the automatic preview, whilst BP has done it, his project is primarily for gaming and his approach reflects that; xbmc is for media and the software reflects that. Can it be done native to xbmc, sure! Will it happen? Probably not, again, media player, not gaming!

But again it can be done with just python.
darknior

Post by darknior »

Ok @DomDXecutioner, i understand ...

I want a preview only for the emulators, not games.

But for xbox games, Xtra team make a full HD Background for each game !
If we can have also the video preview it can be the best :D

I know XBMC is for MEDIA, but we are on xBox !
And on the XBOX version you have also the SAVEGAME, not on the PC version !

Why not adding a better game support, like there is now for music or films ?
I think there is nothing other to add to the XBMC4XBOX, we already have all we want for films, series, and music !
All is made and all is done ... it is a fantastic work, but we are limited by the HARDWARE :p

Adding some real game support can be a good new challenge to update XBMC with cool news feature we will use, because we are on a CONSOLE and not a computer :p

If it can help i share here the SOURCE CODE of the first VISION version :D
It is not the best one, but you can see how BP add the videopreview ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ljlk7lhhta75hc6

I don't ask for a VISION copy, i don't like VISION like i don't like HYPERSPIN :p
I ask only to have a VIDEOPREVIEW for games, add to XBMC. For emulators and xBox games :D
And if some want, i think they can use it too for films to see the MOVIE TRAILER like on PC ;)

We only must choose a skin, simple to use and adding it the video preview.
And make the python script to do it if i understand fine :p
But like BP do, i 'm not sure database is really important ... i really prefer to use file browsing ;)
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

The XMV source code does not comply with the GPL.. Thats why it's not included into XBMC4Xbox.
Dom DXecutioner

Xphazer wrote:The XMV source code does not comply with the GPL.. Thats why it's not included into XBMC4Xbox.
With that in mind, it can still be accomplished purely with python. When get my laptop going, I'll put something basic together, but it'll be a while! :(
skatulskijean

Post by skatulskijean »

Yeap, was from Dom on the nice skin from him!
I think the different is the that the extern integrated video preview cost more ram!
You can many make , make a new home.xml on the boxee insperat skin with access to a new python script what give you the Picture from the console and onclick on it will open your specific konsole Folder with background fanart and adapt the script from dom to access your game specific video!
Yes i think this is a nice idea but not new!

Regards Jan
darknior

Post by darknior »

Yes @YXphazer i write it before, but we can use WMV :D
XBMC can already read WMV :p

Or we can use the sourcecode of MXMMenu ;)
I give it too here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?l6wedxvub1dy834

I work with PEPSILIGHT on M4NG Video Encoder and now the BETA4 can make and convert XMV to WMV with FFMPEG :D
I'm sure we can read XMV with FFMPEG without any Microsoft stuff... and maybe remove the GPL license problem ?

Yes @skatulskijean it is not a NEW idea ... but nobody never release it :(
And i think a good idea ... that must be developed ...
When you see all the guys like me who LOVE the XTRA with video previews, or HyperSpin on PC, ....... why not having same on xBox if it is possible ?

Like i write before, for me it is the next XBMC4XBOX challenge ... all the other stuff i want and use every day on XBMC are already done ;)
darknior

Post by darknior »

Hi

Already nobody is interested by this project here ?

It is so bad :(
With UnleashX we are blocked ... it is impossible with memory issues ...
XBMC4XBOX is our only solution ...

I ask just that some one add the video preview option with WMV format to XBMC4XBOX.
And after that with a good skinner i think it is possible to make that in the game section ... we can show them for each game ;)
And if possible with a sprite, like the CDArt on the Music section.

I make all the graphic and video art !
Thanks
darknior

Post by darknior »

Here are my last backgrounds, now i have add transparency, it is really better :D

http://oi48.tinypic.com/6h036d.jpg

And the XTRA forum thread where we speak about it ... and search the good solution ...
evilted

Post by evilted »

I really like the unleash-x skins / wallpaper u have created.See them at emutras side.

I have question for you.
darknior wrote:Today, i finally finish the 90 systems backgrounds in FULL HD 1080p !
Wow does it mean you find a way to play xbox in 1080 Full-HD?
Thats would be amazing !!!! My xbox is only at 720p but want have 1080pFull HD, too.
Please tell me how you did 1080p - my xbox needs that !!!
darknior wrote:Emulator launcher for Xtra
i really don't like the HyperSpin system
darknior wrote: When you see all the guys like me who LOVE the XTRA with video previews, or HyperSpin on PC, ....... why not having same on xBox if it is possible ?
??? You like Hyperspin or not?

On emuxtras :
darknior wrote: So bad if we must use XBMC because nobody on the XBMC4XBOX want to help
Its that the trick to get xbox at 1080p? You use PC XBMC on xbox for 1080p?
darknior

Post by darknior »

I make them in 1080p for a future use on xBox 360 !
xBox 1 only do 720p or 1080i !!!!

UnleashX can show 720p backgrounds, but if you see more than 3 or 4 it crash !
For the moment i think we must use XBMC4XBOX.

Hyperspin is a good idea, it's nice, but not really practical to use when it has too many files in a folder. System file list is much more readable.
VISION copy HYPERSPIN and have the same problem :(

But like i don't have choice for the moment, and like i have 10 files maximum in the same folder i will try to make a skin for it.
And i will make it in 720p.

But if one day, some one can help me to modify the CONFLUENCE Skin to use it and add VIDEO PREVIEW i will do it again with XBMC4XBOX and using a system file list :D
darknior

Post by darknior »

So bad nobody were interrest by this project ...
XBMC is alredy one of the best game launcher ...
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

I think this idea is great darknoir. I think it would be awesome to have game system previews built into XBMC4XBOX. I would really like to see Xbox game previews built into XBMC4XBOX as well. Unfortunately I cannot help really with the development, because my knowledge of doing stuff like this is pretty much non-existent. I am way more of a hardware guy than a software guy. If not enough ram is the only problem, it would still be nice if somebody could do the development for people with 128mb of ram, I do this upgrade all the time and I know there would be a lot of people that would appreciate that. I kinda wish that there was more developers working on things for people with 128mb of ram Xbox's, cause I think it would open the doors to some other cool stuff. Hell if a developer was really interested in developing stuff for an Xbox with 128mb of ram I would offer one to them for free.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I recently grabbed the files up. I haven't actually properly set up the UnleashX dash to work with my games but overall darknoir did a great job.

As far as the 128 mb box - maybe I'm not worthy. But I did want to go straight into developing plugins using a 128 MB box. Have an LCD+X3 waiting for whatever 128 arises. Out of the personal collection, we've failed twice. Your video has been a good reference point, Floyd. Especially the FRAG/FRAO part.

Have gotten one to 3 chips & FRAO, always fragging no matter how many times we tried with 4. 2 boards are questionable/capacitors bumped. Oops.

I have some programming experience but I'm not sure what to develop if I were to win a free 128. :D Can I figure it out later?

8-)
Floydthebarber

Post by Floydthebarber »

fxmech wrote:I recently grabbed the files up. I haven't actually properly set up the UnleashX dash to work with my games but overall darknoir did a great job.

As far as the 128 mb box - maybe I'm not worthy. But I did want to go straight into developing plugins using a 128 MB box. Have an LCD+X3 waiting for whatever 128 arises. Out of the personal collection, we've failed twice. Your video has been a good reference point, Floyd. Especially the FRAG/FRAO part.

Have gotten one to 3 chips & FRAO, always fragging no matter how many times we tried with 4. 2 boards are questionable/capacitors bumped. Oops.

I have some programming experience but I'm not sure what to develop if I were to win a free 128. :D Can I figure it out later?

8-)
First, sorry for the late reply. How about you show me what you can do for something like an emulator or similar on a 64mb Xbox and then I will consider gifting you a 128mb Xbox? How does that sound?
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

Im still interested in this, and also try to get a xbmc with music to play or videos hell even a slide show on a little window, i think a straight boot up to programs but only theses backgrounds for each emulator would be cool