Ludvigs first chipped Xboxes

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
LudviG

Ludvigs first chipped Xboxes

Post by LudviG »

In another thread I told about 2 Xboxes I got, both chipped and it is supposed to be Xcecuter2 in them both. One was doa, the other boots. I am soon going back to work after parent leave and therefor going back to mod these to my liking. But I have never had chipped Xboxes before. So now I am looking for info on what I should do.

The one that don't work, it was working before it was shipped. Makes me believe there may be something wrong with the chip. Solder comming loose maybe? It boots into the service screen. What should I look for when opening it?

The other one says Xcecuter when it boots.
I want to update the bios if needed and put a bigger drive in there. I have downloaded the bios checker, so I post a pick on what version it says the bios is. What is the newest bios for the chip, and where to get?

After bios update and so on, how to change default dash? I have never used hexen, slayer or frosty discs. I guess these ones can change default dash and so on? Wich version are best of these discs? Where to get them?

Hdd swap, then I guess I need chimp. Can I use chimp from rockys softmod extras disc, or do it only work on softmodded boxes? The reason I am asking is that I am used to that one by noe. I guess the other boot discs have similar functions? The hdd also seems to be unlocked, should it be?

I appreciate all guidance to how to upgrade and fix these boxes. They will also get 80mm fan, new cooling paste, clock cap removal and so on.

Cheers

Ludvig

Sent fra min NX551J via Tapatalk

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by LudviG on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
LudviG

Re: Ludvigs first chipped Xboxes

Post by LudviG »

Nobody who wants to help me out here? Just wanna make sure I do things correct.

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

For the xbox that was working but is not now, it would be best to open it up and find out what chip is on there. See if the chips is loose from the pinheader or if something obvious like a loose wire, then need to look at how to re-attach and what not. Also see if there is an external switch for the chip and make sure the chip is enabled and maybe play with some of the bios bank switches to see if maybe it got flipped and the xbox is trying to boot to a bios that wont work for your setup. While your into the xbox make sure that the power and IDE cables are all hooked up properly.

For the second xbox, same thing actually. I'd like to know what chip is on it to see how easy it will be to flash the bios and update it. Also it looks like it's got an upgraded hard drive, see any games or emulators on it by chance? It's really easy to swap hard drives with a chipped or TSOP flashed xbox. Simply change out the drive and insert Slayer's or Hexen when you first boot it up and then you can build a fresh hard drive and go from there. No need for hot swapping or any of that jazz.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I started with the working one. Just checked serial before I opened it, and was expecting a 1.0 (mfg date 2002-10-24), but it has no fan on gpu. Also, if I remember correct, the 1.0 has a daughter board for the controller ports?

Either way, ran bios checker and opened the box to look at the chip. Added pics with info.

So now to figure out what chip it is I guess. ImageImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nextelhalo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:22 am
For the second xbox, same thing actually. I'd like to know what chip is on it to see how easy it will be to flash the bios and update it. Also it looks like it's got an upgraded hard drive, see any games or emulators on it by chance? It's really easy to swap hard drives with a chipped or TSOP flashed xbox. Simply change out the drive and insert Slayer's or Hexen when you first boot it up and then you can build a fresh hard drive and go from there. No need for hot swapping or any of that jazz.
See last post on Bios info and pics of chip.

There is some stuff on it, not games but different tools and files. It has a 60Gb drive in it. Some emulators, no roms.

It has and very old version of XBMC on it too :) and Xbox Media Player. Some tools like Xbox FTP Client, XBcopy, Px HDD Loader, Enigmah, boXplorer ans some other too.

On the C drive it has folders that seems to contain bioses, trainers, EvolutionX builds (both rar and unpacked)

The DVD ROM does read games, but got a stuck drive ofc. Need to fix that, but i have burned both Hexen 2017 update, and slayer, but none of them boot. Guess I must try to burn them again.

The HDD seems to be unlocked. Is that normal with chipped xboxes?
Elurin

Post by Elurin »

Most suggest that you burn at a maximum of 4x, also not all drives are equal when it comes to reading burned disks.

The later Philips drives are able to read all in my experience while the more early ones have issues with -R.

Samsung and Thomsons can read -R properly I believe but not +R I think

But I could be mixing this up. You can find the right info via google.

This might be causing your boot issue.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Yep that looks like a 1.1 which should not have a daughter board but has the single row of pins on the PSU. First things first is clean that with compressed air and have a look at all the connections for the chip. It does say Xecuter on bioschecker but may not be an Xecuterchip as it's only telling you what BIOS is on it. I'd like to see X2_4981.67 on there so you can run a bigger hard drive but I'll need some time to find out what that chip is to see how easy it is to flash it. Time to dig through the old xboxscene archive, hopefully some other folks can chime in with info. Regardless the upgrade process will be simple. once you've flashed the bios you can simply switch out the hard drive, load up a Slayers or Hexen disc and basically follow the directions, really easy to do.

EDIT: looks to be an X-ecuter2 Lite (maybe). It's flashable so you should be able to update the BIOS. just have to find out what size bios fits on it, I'm sure it's 256k or 512k but need to make sure.

I like using Slayers 2.98, it's got a ton of features. I'm sure there are updated versions but that's always been my go to install disc.

As far as the hard drive being unlocked, I usually unlock my drives and leave them that way so that you could easily switch them from box to box for troubleshooting or whatever.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nextelhalo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 am Yep that looks like a 1.1 which should not have a daughter board but has the single row of pins on the PSU. First things first is clean that with compressed air and have a look at all the connections for the chip. It does say Xecuter on bioschecker but may not be an Xecuterchip as it's only telling you what BIOS is on it. I'd like to see X2_4981.67 on there so you can run a bigger hard drive but I'll need some time to find out what that chip is to see how easy it is to flash it. Time to dig through the old xboxscene archive, hopefully some other folks can chime in with info. Regardless the upgrade process will be simple. once you've flashed the bios you can simply switch out the hard drive, load up a Slayers or Hexen disc and basically follow the directions, really easy to do.
A good clean is included in the plan, with some other standard stuff. Remove clock cap, 80mm fan, new thermal paste and so on. Do I understand you correct if you want more pics of the chip and its connections?
Nextelhalo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 am EDIT: looks to be an X-ecuter2 Lite (maybe). It's flashable so you should be able to update the BIOS. just have to find out what size bios fits on it, I'm sure it's 256k or 512k but need to make sure.
I'll google that chip too tonight and look at it. The flash process is pretty straight forward?
Nextelhalo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 am I like using Slayers 2.98, it's got a ton of features. I'm sure there are updated versions but that's always been my go to install disc.
I'll see if i can find a download of it :)
Nextelhalo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:11 am As far as the hard drive being unlocked, I usually unlock my drives and leave them that way so that you could easily switch them from box to box for troubleshooting or whatever.
Thats sounds like a good idea. Almost the same idea as nulling the hdd key in softmods.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I cant seem to find Slayers 2.98 download. I find the 2.6 and 2.7 and a hexen 2017 updated iso. Sadly i realized I only have CDr and DVD+r discs here at work. Since the box has a Samsung drive it cant read the DVD+r discs. That means i cant try the 2017 update atm.

Also got one other (older} Heimdalls Hexen, tested and booted. Not sure what version though

Slayer 2.7 boots, 2.6 burning atm.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Slayers 2.98 dl?

Will try to see if I have some DVD-r discs at shore, when I go there tomorrow or saturday.

Edit: Slayers 2.6 also boots fine.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Come on chipgurus?

Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Were you able to get Slayers 2.7 or 2.98 to burn correctly? Even Hexen maybe? I always burn at the lowest speed possible and it does end up being 4X usually and I have no problems. Using DVDR not RW.
Debug kit untouched
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nextelhalo wrote:Were you able to get Slayers 2.7 or 2.98 to burn correctly? Even Hexen maybe? I always burn at the lowest speed possible and it does end up being 4X usually and I have no problems. Using DVDR not RW.
Slayer 2.6 and 2.7 burned on CD and working. Haven't tried hexen on dvd again, but back to work tomorrow so will test then. Looking through my burnable media atm for correct kind.

Can't seem to find a dl for the slayer version you mentioned though.

Edit: found dvd-r now :)

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nextelhalo wrote:EDIT: looks to be an X-ecuter2 Lite (maybe). It's flashable so you should be able to update the BIOS. just have to find out what size bios fits on it, I'm sure it's 256k or 512k but need to make sure.
After googling, I agree it seems to be a Xecuter2 lite. But I don't know what bios to flash, how to get it and how to do it.

Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

There should be plenty of BIOS choices on any auto-installer disc like Slayers or Hexen to choose from. Most likely you'll need a 256k bios and you can probably flash it easily with that disc as well. I cant remember if there was a dip switch to protect from flashing but I would attempt to use X2_4981.67 first and see how it does. If it's not the right size or if the chip is not flashable it should tell you then when the flash process begins.
Debug kit untouched
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I am back at work with the Xbox. Now I have a slayer disc booted and I get scared again Image

There is a warning about tsop write enable must be bridged. Mod chip must be disconnected after power on. What does this mean?

There is also 3 jumper pinsets on the chip, do I need to do something with these? They are labeled bios, on/off and flash.

ImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I also booted up hexen. It did not have bios x2.4981.67, just x2.4981.

I get a warning when trying to flash that it is not flashable, so guess I need to do something about the jumpers.

ImageImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

It's not easy to find stuff on Google for these... Can someone explain what each jumper do? I guess I need to put a jumper on the flash pins. But what is mod and on/off. These 2 set of pins are populated wit jumpers, what happens if I remove them? Image

Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Remove that #1 jumper and that will probably make the chip flashable now. Dont pay attention to the TSOP warnings since your flashing just the chip.
Debug kit untouched
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Ok, it's late here and got work tomorrow, but will have to try that before I go to bed.

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Nextelhalo wrote:Remove that #1 jumper and that will probably make the chip flashable now. Dont pay attention to the TSOP warnings since your flashing just the chip.
Success :)

Bios x2.4981.67 flashed to chip. Even gave me a new purple Xbox logo bootscreen. Image

If my research is correct, I can now just pop in a bigger drive, boot hexen or slayer and follow instructions for setting up a new hdd?