OG Xbox games coming to Xbox One X

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
GoTeamScotch

OG Xbox games coming to Xbox One X

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Near the end of Xbox's E3 briefing today, Xbox announced that the new Xbox One X (formerly "Scorpio") will play ORIGINAL XBOX games. They haven't said much about it yet other than it's coming. If it's anything like their Xbox 360 backward compatibility program for Xbox One, it will feature a small selection of games that will grow over time. That being said, I doubt they will have these old games run on the new console without being able to play online. Of course, those old game-specific servers no longer exist and to get new ones online would be a massive undertaking to mesh old online protocols with the new console's environment. Who knows. All I'm saying is, it's Xbox officially supporting old Xbox games on the newest system. Would they expect people to hit "play on Xbox Live" in their games and reach an error message? I would be surprised.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/11/1577 ... es-e3-2017
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
professor_jonny

Re: OG Xbox games coming to Xbox One X

Post by professor_jonny »

I see it being a lot easier for them to do this than for the 360 backwards compatibility as it is the same architecture, and built on similar Windows based kernel and DirectX

The 360 was really a large step away from the normal windows /pc compatible hardware and it is likely there will be a greater compatibility than the 360 in a shorter period.

For the live function it will depend on the developers I believe as it is up to them to set pricing for their Xbox titles also.
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

professor_jonny wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:46 amThe 360 was really a large step away from the normal windows /pc compatible hardware
And it was certainly a large step away from quality. Beginning with non HDD DVD streaming only concept right to messed up 360 Controller with not functional d pad. Not to mention the RRoD. Too bad they did not continue pumping money into original Xbox as its late games from 2005-6 prove there was still a great potential for visual improvements in games for at least next 5 years. They killed the good Xbox too early.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Tom M. wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 amAnd it was certainly a large step away from quality. Beginning with non HDD DVD streaming only concept right to messed up 360 Controller with not functional d pad. Not to mention the RRoD. Too bad they did not continue pumping money into original Xbox as its late games from 2005-6 prove there was still a great potential for visual improvements in games for at least next 5 years. They killed the good Xbox too early.
The lead free bug (ROHS) effected everyone, sony had the same faults but later in the game but their warranty was crap compared to Microsofts offering.

Microsoft extended their warranty's to three years to cover their failures. Sony refused to accept responsibility Sony's solution to YLOD was to give victim the chance to trade in there older systems that have got the YLOD for a ps3 slim at the users cost.