Best choice for resurrect a failed XBOX?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
vic3mila

Best choice for resurrect a failed XBOX?

Post by vic3mila »

My XBOX failed hard :-(

Some weeks ago started spontaneous switching on during the day and doing shutdown from XBMC give me a reboot instead.
So I disconnected from mains when not in use (I use it for XBMC 90% of time).
Last week HDD start clicking and XBOX doesn't power on (but I have a full ftp backup of /{C,E}/ before mod and of /{C,E,F}/ after and the last XBMC installation with the whole UserData, on a safe place).
I opened the case and disconnected DVD and HDD, this way "sometimes" it switch on (but not all the times).
I think that power supply needs a replacement... (ok, also HDD but is a chipped XBOX, so should be simple).
Looking for a replacement power supply without success (they are not so simple to found and cost about 1/2 of a used XBOX). I'm looking for a whole XBOX so my fault one can be used as spare parts...

Now the question: should I chip mod the new XBOX or can I soft mod without removing/reinstalling chip from failed one?
Soft mod replace original bios so the XBOX start always modded right? So after soft mod I can replace the HDD with a larger one without soft modding again?
Is the guide here still actual? http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=617
(I remember I used X-Wizard.Multidash.Autoinstaller.v3.1Plus, is HeXEn better?)

Can I clean all disks and restore my backup with ftp on a soft modded XBOX or removing gamesave break the mod?
Can I do the above on a chipped XBOX?

Thanks in advance.

--
Riccardo.
Nextelhalo

Re: Best choice for resurrect a failed XBOX?

Post by Nextelhalo »

Wow your right, even Ebay doesnt have that many PSU's for sale anymore. I would suggest getting another xbox and moving your chip over to it. Depending on the version of xbox you currently have now it might be hard to find a matching PSU since they did have a few variations of PSU's. Once the chip is on there you can slap a new hard drive in and your off and running. Remember though your hard drive could be clicking because that PSU is failing, hard drive might be just fine.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto »

i have a spare 1.1 psu for sale if interested - but i would like the see a picture of the bottom side of your psu first.

- what's the xbox version?
- make picture of bottom side of psu (especially the side were the cable goes in)

some broken psu's can easily be fixed by soldering both broken joints
xbox v1.1 - x3 3294 - xbmc 3.2 (r31195) slik
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

Nextelhalo wrote:Wow your right, even Ebay doesnt have that many PSU's for sale anymore. I would suggest getting another xbox and moving your chip over to it. Depending on the version of xbox you currently have now it might be hard to find a matching PSU since they did have a few variations of PSU's. Once the chip is on there you can slap a new hard drive in and your off and running. Remember though your hard drive could be clicking because that PSU is failing, hard drive might be just fine.
The XBOX is a old v1.1 with a DUO X2 GS chip (like this one http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... &t=22#p137 with "GS label under the "O").
Still looking for a used XBOX, stay tuned, thanks for your interest.

--
Riccardo.
Last edited by vic3mila on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

sakamoto wrote:i have a spare 1.1 psu for sale if interested - but i would like the see a picture of the bottom side of your psu first.

- what's the xbox version?
- make picture of bottom side of psu (especially the side were the cable goes in)

some broken psu's can easily be fixed by soldering both broken joints
A visual inspect of bottom of PSU doesn't reveal any bad solder. Also components on the top side are like new (no fat or smoked capacitors).
I verified some voltage output on mobo connector, still checking. Thanks for your interest.

--
Riccardo.
xman

Post by xman »

Just make sure the power supply to mother board connector is firmly connected. You wouldn't be the first to over look this. ;) The power supplies usually fair altogether when they fail. Seeing as though there are no signs of burning under the power supply, I'd be looking at that connector.
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

xman wrote:Just make sure the power supply to mother board connector is firmly connected. You wouldn't be the first to over look this. ;) The power supplies usually fair altogether when they fail. Seeing as though there are no signs of burning under the power supply, I'd be looking at that connector.
Bought an used XBOX (unfortunately is a v1.0, mine was v1.1), swapper power supply and fan, still no boot (it start for a few seconds using eject - then power off).
Going to move the mod chip... :-(

If the mod chip is still good can I remove the noisy little fan and install the big cooler of 1.1?
As a last chance I can soft mod the v1.0 one. Stay tuned, BB(AL)L (a lot later :-))

--
Riccardo.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Regarding your Xbox spontaneously turning on, it sounds like the motherboard might have corroded traces. If you do have them (search on google), you'll need to solder some thin wires to repair them.
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

AZImmortal wrote:Regarding your Xbox spontaneously turning on, it sounds like the motherboard might have corroded traces. If you do have them (search on google), you'll need to solder some thin wires to repair them.
Nice shot !!! It is EXACTLY what happens to my XBOX. I first disconnect front panel as explained on ... mmmm ... (can I post external link to XBOX 1st gen repair photos and how to ?)
Next monday I'll take the MoBo to work with me to get it fixed under the microscope ;)
I hope to resolve. Thanks for now (a big thanks is coming).

--
Riccardo.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Yes, you can post external links here. I would have linked you directly but I was replying on my phone so it wasn't convenient for me to do the search. Here's another thread that should help you: http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=12329
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

AZImmortal wrote:Yes, you can post external links here. I would have linked you directly but I was replying on my phone so it wasn't convenient for me to do the search. Here's another thread that should help you: http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?t=12329
Yes, found that and this one also: http://fillwithcoolblogname.blogspot.it ... epair.html
Both explaining same behaviour and solution.

--
Riccardo.
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

vic3mila wrote:
AZImmortal wrote:Regarding your Xbox spontaneously turning on, it sounds like the motherboard might have corroded traces. If you do have them (search on google), you'll need to solder some thin wires to repair them.
Next monday I'll take the MoBo to work with me to get it fixed under the microscope ;)
I hope to resolve. Thanks for now (a big thanks is coming).
Disassembled and rewired (with the help of a colleague), just powered on... AND IT WORKS AGAIN !!!
(ok, HDD is probably dead but reconnecting original 10MB the v26941 of Jan 2010 started fine)

I would like to thanks all people supporting me, with a special mention to AZImmortal. You saved my XBOX :D

--
Riccardo.

UPDATE: starting from DVD (X-Wiz 3.1) let me access the whole HDD, the backup is running, later I try to repair the installation. The second good news today (maybe Santa Claus is already arrived? ;) )
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Hooray for happy endings. :grin:
vic3mila

Post by vic3mila »

AZImmortal wrote:Hooray for happy endings. :grin:
Maybe "endings" is the right word :shock:
BuZz wrote:The shameful state of XBox 1 homebrew and the GPL - December 18th, 2012
... we will not be providing any new builds.
I just repaired an XBOX but I'm still sad... :?

--
Riccardo.
jess10

Post by jess10 »

vic3mila wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:42 pm My XBOX failed hard :-(

Some weeks ago started spontaneous switching on during the day and doing shutdown from XBMC give me a reboot instead.
So I disconnected from mains when not in use (I use it for XBMC 90% of time).
Last week HDD start clicking and XBOX doesn't power on (but I have a full ftp backup of /{C,E}/ before mod and of /{C,E,F}/ after and the last XBMC installation with the whole UserData, on a safe place).
I opened the case and disconnected DVD and HDD, this way "sometimes" it switch on (but not all the times).
I think that power supply needs a replacement... (ok, also HDD but is a chipped XBOX, so should be simple).
Looking for a replacement power supply without success (they are not so simple to found and cost about 1/2 of a used XBOX). I'm looking for a whole XBOX so my fault one can be used as spare parts...

Now the question: should I chip mod the new XBOX or can I soft mod without removing/reinstalling chip from failed one?
Soft mod replace original bios so the XBOX start always modded right? So after soft mod I can replace the HDD with a larger one without soft modding again?
Is the guide here still actual? http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=617
(I remember I used X-Wizard.Multidash.Autoinstaller.v3.1Plus, is HeXEn better?)

Can I clean all disks and restore my backup with ftp on a soft modded XBOX or removing gamesave break the mod?
Can I do the above on a chipped XBOX?

Thanks in advance.

--
Riccardo.
Hello
If your Xbox 360 console doesn't detect an attached hard drive, try these solutions in the following order:
1. An incorrectly installed hard drive can cause this issue. You can verify correct installation at Add or remove an Xbox 360 Hard Drive.
2. Turn your Xbox 360 console off and then on again:

a. Turn off your console, and then remove the Xbox 360 Hard Drive.
b. Turn your console on and then off again.
c. Reattach the hard drive, and then turn your console on again.

3. If you have another hard drive, try it with your console.
4. Format your hard drive.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Wow, way to being back from the dead a 5 year old thread.
With even the wrong information, they were speaking of the Original Xbox, not 360.
PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

I lol'd :lol: