Picked up another xbox

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
LudviG

Picked up another xbox

Post by LudviG »

Picket up a chipped crystal Xbox today. Sadly it is dead, and I think it may be the powersupply. Going to check this with the powersupply from my other crystal one. I have no idea what chip it is though. I am also struggling to find out what version it is. Pretty shure it is a 1.6, but not shure.

If it is a failing powersupply, anyone got any idea where I could look for a 220v one? ImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
toxicmedz

Re: Picked up another xbox

Post by toxicmedz »

Its not a Psu issue, Look at the capacitors below the Heatsink. They look swollen and will need replacing.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I will look at them! Thanks for the tip. I will also measure the psu I think. I'm

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Opened it again now, and I can't see any leaking or bulging caps. See pics.

I will try the psu from my other crystal now and see. ImageImageImageImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

It is not the psu. I tried both psu in in both boxes, and the one who is working, worked with both while the other was dead with both. So where to look next? Change the caps even though they look good? Could it be the chip?

toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

Hmm thats interesting, coulda sworn they looked bulged. Still kinda do but maybe just the lighting.
If the console isn't powering on at all this might be your problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deSa6-yeY1I
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I will have to look into it. It won't be very soon though, our child number 2 is comming one of these days. Was supposed to be born yesterday (the set date, no idea what it is called in English). So I guess it will be a couple of weeks before I get the time to look at it.

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Should the top of the caps be completely flat? How much will they bulge?

toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

They are meant to be completely flat. I thought I saw some bulge in those caps. I really do think they are the cause of your problems.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Yeah I may think so too. Any good idea where to get new ones and to tell what exact they are?

RunsilenT

Post by RunsilenT »

Caps can be bought from RS Components, Maplin or any electronic component dealer, beware Ebay as cheap replicas are often sold.
Capacitors have a uf rating printed on the side, this must be adhered to. The Voltage rating is also printed which can be greater than
the voltage rated but NEVER lower. Its common practice to fit caps of slightly higher voltage rating to cause less stress and give a larger
window of failure. A decent soldering iron coupled with de-solder braid or solder sucker and my recent tool of choice, wooden toothpicks
to pierce troublesome solder holes. They definitely are swollen in your pic as already pointed out, easy fix!
Last edited by RunsilenT on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Yeah, now I for an excuse to finally buy a half decent soldering station :) been looking at them for ages, but can't decide on what to get :) I will try to figure it out, but it will be some time. Not much time left in the day with a 2.5 year old girl and a 1 week old boy :)

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Anyone got info on what values caps I need, or do I have to try to read off them the values?

EvoluterX

Post by EvoluterX »

LudviG wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:21 pm Anyone got info on what values caps I need, or do I have to try to read off them the values?

Try reading them, although I remember the caps that are the closest to the CPU are 3300uF 6.3v. Possible that the ones to the edge of the board are the same capacity but rated at 16v,although it's still a good idea to check the values on them.
Xbox v1.0 - stock drive,softmodded
Xbox v1.0 - ST380211A,EvoX M8+
Xbox v1.4 crystal - ST316025ACE,iND-BIOS 5004