[SOLVED] Svideo cable worth it?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
bornagainpenguin

[SOLVED] Svideo cable worth it?

Post by bornagainpenguin »

I have a 32 inch tube tv which I used to run xbmc on off the desktop (which is now on semi-permanent loan to my parents) and I used to run that on svideo. Now that I have xbmc running on the xbox, it's plugged into the RCA jack and really hurts my eyes. Eventually I want to join the 21st century and get a flat screen, if for no other reason than to be able to play with the Android port. Just not right now.

So my question is, is it worth it to get the svideo cable? Does it make that much of a difference? Does anyone have personal experience with running xbmc4xbox using one?
Last edited by bornagainpenguin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Svideo cable worth it?

Post by BuZz »

svideo is better than composite, but worse than RGB scart, and all are much worse than 1280x720 over Component cables. If you get a flat screen with component you can get a high def kit/adapter and use that. if you have a screen that doesnt take component you can get some device to upscale it to HDMI or so. My AV receiver can take 720p over component and output 1080p over HDMI for example.
bornagainpenguin

But what about for now, is it worth it for my current television?

Edit: Maybe I'm asking the wrong question altogether--are there any skins you recommend with large text? Currently I'm using xtv-saf. I used to use Big-Cirrus, but that doesn't seem to be maintained any more and trying to use it any way (from my backup) showed that there was a flaw that caused the background overlay to fail, making the white text over the image impossible to read.

I just want to be able to see the text on the screen without my eyes hurting.

PS: thanks for your earlier help.
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

bornagainpenguin wrote:But what about for now, is it worth it for my current television?

Edit: Maybe I'm asking the wrong question altogether--are there any skins you recommend with large text? Currently I'm using xtv-saf. I used to use Big-Cirrus, but that doesn't seem to be maintained any more and trying to use it any way (from my backup) showed that there was a flaw that caused the background overlay to fail, making the white text over the image impossible to read.

I just want to be able to see the text on the screen without my eyes hurting.

PS: thanks for your earlier help.
Try softening the image or enabling flicker filter if you haven't done so already.
bornagainpenguin

Redneck9 wrote:
bornagainpenguin wrote: Try softening the image or enabling flicker filter if you haven't done so already.
I did that and I edited the font.xml, this helped a little so I'm going to be looking into that some more. Also posted on xbmc forums asking if Wyrm would be willing to make a "big" version of xtv-saf for us.
kitana

Post by kitana »

bornagainpenguin wrote: I did that and I edited the font.xml, this helped a little so I'm going to be looking into that some more. Also posted on xbmc forums asking if Wyrm would be willing to make a "big" version of xtv-saf for us.
I am using s-video on a 20" CRT TV along with xTV SAF 1.0.0 (optimal XBMC fonts IMHO). I wouldn't say there is any noticeable difference between composite vs. s-video (at least not on my 20 incher). Also have the same setup on a 20" Sony Trinitron w/ component-in and the difference there is night/day. I'd stick with composite video on your 32 incher + xTV SAF for now
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-repo-wyrm/downloads/list
bornagainpenguin

kitana wrote:I wouldn't say there is any noticeable difference between composite vs. s-video (at least not on my 20 incher). Also have the same setup on a 20" Sony Trinitron w/ component-in and the difference there is night/day. I'd stick with composite video on your 32 incher + xTV SAF for now
If it doesn't make that much difference then I'll save the money and keep putting away for the new HDTV instead of engaging in any stopgap measures.

I managed to get something put together that works better for me by way of these two threads:

surfing_spider: Larger font for Composite TV

chapado: Standard definition TVs - modify skins' small font sizes and make them readable

First I modified the Font.xml to add surfing_spider's suggested text, copying the fonts from Confluence theme, then I used the xfontsize tool to add a size increase of 9pt. Really seems to make a difference even though some things break slightly for me (truncated text) at least it no longer hurts my eyes.

Thanks again for the help people are giving me and for having a place where I can pass along anything I find to others. I think I have maybe two more three more issues to work out and I'll be set!

--bornagainpenguin
kitana

Post by kitana »

bornagainpenguin wrote: chapado: Standard definition TVs - modify skins' small font sizes and make them readable

First I modified the Font.xml to add surfing_spider's suggested text, copying the fonts from Confluence theme, then I used the xfontsize tool to add a size increase of 9pt. Really seems to make a difference even though some things break slightly for me (truncated text) at least it no longer hurts my eyes.

--bornagainpenguin
Thanks for the tips. I only needed to enlarge the XBMC font under xTV SAF by 5pt via the xfontsize script to improve legibility without adding distortion.
bornagainpenguin

Re: [SOLVED] Svideo cable worth it?

kitana wrote:
bornagainpenguin wrote: chapado: Standard definition TVs - modify skins' small font sizes and make them readable

--bornagainpenguin
Thanks for the tips. I only needed to enlarge the XBMC font under xTV SAF by 5pt via the xfontsize script to improve legibility without adding distortion.

Everybody has their own ideas of what readability means, so I'm not surprised you like your fonts differently. Glad I was able to help, and I'll probably give your idea a try next time I play with the skin to see if that size is good for me as well.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I have also used s-video on xbox in the past and couldn't notice any improvement from RGB Scart. Glad you got it sorted in the end but eventually what you want is a TV with Component input and then buy an Xbox HD cable (component) - the difference in quality is massive. You mentioned you were using xtv-saf, I've always found that to be great for CRT TV's - were you using the latest one which is available on XAI?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

s-video should be lower quality than rgb scart in theory. although in practise it might look as good.
bornagainpenguin

whufclee wrote:I have also used s-video on xbox in the past and couldn't notice any improvement from RGB Scart. Glad you got it sorted in the end but eventually what you want is a TV with Component input and then buy an Xbox HD cable (component) - the difference in quality is massive. You mentioned you were using xtv-saf, I've always found that to be great for CRT TV's - were you using the latest one which is available on XAI?
Yeah I am. Actually I have several of the xTV-SAF installed in order to test things out. I know a bit ago Wyrm redid everything for 720p which had a negative effect on legibility on my parent's SDTV. They've since gotten a HDTV so I forget what all I did to work around things then.

So far the xfont thing works pretty good, so I'm going to pretty much stick with that for now unless or until I either get enough socked away for an HDTV or I move to a different theme. Will miss xTV-SAF if I do though, it's been my mainstay for years now...

UPDATE: I figured out what was the difference while looking for a version of the xTV-SAF that didn't have a missing music visualization bug, and I found xTV-SAF-v1.0.2a which I am currently using. I think this is the reason why I didn't have any real issues with font viewing in the past on my SDTV. Check it out from Wyrm's Google repository, you'll find it's darn near perfect viewable when you set fonts to bold.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I'm not sure if Wyrm has found the new forum otherwise he could chime in .
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
bornagainpenguin

Actually I think Wyrm doesn't care too much about a dying platform, or at least that's the impression I got when I asked him about some of this stuff on XBMC forums.

That's okay, I am appreciative of the work he's done and understand that he's ready to move on.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

It was actually quite amazing that wyrm put so much time and effort into making an xbox friendly version of the skin when he doesn't even own an xbox - he was coding it and relying on others to test it for him! Kudos to the man and although it's a shame we won't be seeing him on the xbox scene any more it was a pleasure to have him on board, he has always been very helpful so I wish him all the best for his future skinning work on mainbranch.
bornagainpenguin

I wasn't critiquing, I am very appreciative of all Wyrm has done for us.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

If anything, it was a criticism of the dying platform itself.

And, HEY! That hurts my feelings. I still come here.
bornagainpenguin

I'm here myself. I may have come in late, but I'm here.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

bornagainpenguin wrote:I wasn't critiquing, I am very appreciative of all Wyrm has done for us.
Sorry if it came across like I was having a pop at you, that wasn't my intention! I just wanted to clarify the situation regarding wyrm for anyone that wasn't aware of what he done for us :)