Locked hard drive

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
dbier63

Locked hard drive

Post by dbier63 »

Hello, I have modded an xbox and have cloned the hard drive to an exactly the same hard drive. Locked it and then wanted to install it in another soft modded console. But the other console cannot read it because it was locked by a different motherboard? Is there a way to get it to work on another modded console?

Thanks in advance
hawsey

Re: Locked hard drive

Post by hawsey »

You need to copy the eeprom off your softmodded one , put it on to the cloned drive then lock again , not sure of the exact process but that's what's needed , must be you tube vids on this, not at a PC today so can't really look for you :-(.

Sent from my Vodafone_SU6 using Tapatalk
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

Thanks so much. I guess I need to get the HDD locked first though. Right? Hoping I can use a PC and HDD maker to lock the HDD.
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

I'm sorry what I meant to say was I cloned the HDD from one console and want to install it in another. So if I connect it back to the console I cloned it from and install the eeprom then it should boot in the new console? Once it's locked of course.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I'm no expert at this but I think if your using a chipped Xbox that's a real chip then locking does not matter , so you would just have to get the eeprom from the new softmodded machine , put it on to your cloned HDD , then lock it , then it would work on a softmodded Xbox , in theory anyway :-)
Please jump in anyone who can say what tool to use and if this would work ok...

Sent from my Vodafone_SU6 using Tapatalk
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

So I guess that's what I don't know. Is the eeprom on the motherboard or HDD of the machine I soft modded? I cloned a HDD from a soft modded machine and then soft modded another machine and want to put the cloned HDD on that one.

Thanks for you help.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

dbier63 wrote:So I guess that's what I don't know. Is the eeprom on the motherboard or HDD of the machine I soft modded? I cloned a HDD from a soft modded machine and then soft modded another machine and want to put the cloned HDD on that one.

Thanks for you help.
You should have backed up the EEPROM when you softmodded. There usually located in E:\Backups\ or E:\Backup\

So what you do is download Chimp 261812

Get your eeprom.bin from the Xbox you want the new HDD in, put it in the E:\ partition on the Xbox you cloned the drive on and locked it to. (Note the eeprom.bin must be all lowercase)

Now install Chimp 261812, just copy the content of the E partition folder to E:\ now swap the slave drive like you normally do & load chimp 261812, you will get IO errors because the HDD is locked don't worry about it, when you get to the chimp menu select option 3 > option 2 > option 1 to unlock the slave drive.

Now you want to lock the slave drive using the eeprom.bin located on the E partition. So it's option 3 > option 1 option 3. This will use the E:\eeprom.bin to lock the slave drive.

Now you can stick the new drive into the other Xbox.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

Hey Rocky, thanks I somehow unlocked the hard drive from the modded console. So I'm going to try to lock via HDR maker on my pc. Once I can get it to boot again I'll try your suggestion..
Thanks again
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

I just want to make sure I know the proper order. In order to use the cloned hd that is full of game rooms I need to first transfer the eprom.bin from the small hd in the modded xbox. I am going to transfer this eeprom via FTP with my laptop. Then boot my xbox with the fully cloned hd in it and transfer the eprom.bin from my laptop via FTP to the cloned hd. Then lock the cloned hd with the eprom.bin from the xbox I want install it in? Also if I put the eprom.bin on the E:\ drive will I be able to use the cloned hd in both consoles? Meaning if I continue to place eprom.bin files on this hd from different soft modded consoles I would be able to swap this cloned drive in and out of any consoles I transferred the bin files from?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

dbier63 wrote:I just want to make sure I know the proper order. In order to use the cloned hd that is full of game rooms I need to first transfer the eprom.bin from the small hd in the modded xbox. I am going to transfer this eeprom via FTP with my laptop. Then boot my xbox with the fully cloned hd in it and transfer the eprom.bin from my laptop via FTP to the cloned hd. Then lock the cloned hd with the eprom.bin from the xbox I want install it in? Also if I put the eprom.bin on the E:\ drive will I be able to use the cloned hd in both consoles? Meaning if I continue to place eprom.bin files on this hd from different soft modded consoles I would be able to swap this cloned drive in and out of any consoles I transferred the bin files from?
That's not how it works. Reread what I wrote in the previous post.

Xbox 1 = Xbox you are using to clone the HDD on.
Xbox 2 = Xbox you are wanting to put the new cloned HDD in.

Get eeprom.bin from Xbox 2
FTP above eeprom.bin to E:\ on Xbox 1
Put chimp 261812 on Xbox 1 & swap the DVD Drive for the Slave HDD
Launch chimp & lock the Slave drive using option 3 > option 1 option 3.
Put new locked Slave drive in Xbox 2
Done
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
dbier63

Post by dbier63 »

Got it. Thanks again for schooling me.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Anyone finding this thread now be aware that in a 2017 update Rocky5 changed the required location for the external eeprom file from the E:\drive to Y:\eeprom.bin.

It is in the readme that comes with Chimp 261812 but I suspect a lot of people reading this thread might not think to check that before trying to use an external eeprom.bin.
Small update - 23/02/2017:
==================================================================
Changed the partition that the external eeprom.bin is placed as the fatx driver for linux is not the greatest and can fail to show all files if there are a lot of files/folders on the partition.
( So now its Y:\eeprom.bin )