Evox Bios and dash

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Amigaz

Evox Bios and dash

Post by Amigaz »

I've never used an Xbox Evox M8 bios or the EvolutionX dash, I believe the Bios and dash is from around 2005 when this modded Xbox was bought from Console.se so they should be pretty dated by now.
Any suggestions on what Bios and EvolutionX dash to update to?

Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox Crystal Green 1.2 TSOP
Xbox 1.6 softmod
GoTeamScotch

Re: Evox Bios and dash

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Well, you're on the XBMC forums so I hope it's no surprise that I'm going to recommend XBMC as your main dashboard. :D EvoX can do a little more in regards to technical stuff like hard drive locking/unlocking and bios flashing, but you can always launch EvoX from XBMC for those rare occasions when you do need those extra features. I always use XBMC as my main dashboard. It's the best looking and most flexible dashboard by far.

As far as the Bios goes, M8 isn't bad by any means. It's one of the few common ones you'll hear people recommend. If you're at all worried about breaking something, sticking with M8 wouldn't be a bad move. For me, I choose to run iND-Bios on my boxes. I like how easy it is to configure and customize. And it has support for all the usual goodies you'd expect from a non-stock bios.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

GoTeamScotch wrote:Well, you're on the XBMC forums so I hope it's no surprise that I'm going to recommend XBMC as your main dashboard. :D EvoX can do a little more in regards to technical stuff like hard drive locking/unlocking and bios flashing, but you can always launch EvoX from XBMC for those rare occasions when you do need those extra features. I always use XBMC as my main dashboard. It's the best looking and most flexible dashboard by far.

As far as the Bios goes, M8 isn't bad by any means. It's one of the few common ones you'll hear people recommend. If you're at all worried about breaking something, sticking with M8 wouldn't be a bad move. For me, I choose to run iND-Bios on my boxes. I like how easy it is to configure and customize. And it has support for all the usual goodies you'd expect from a non-stock bios.

Is there any advantage in updating the EvoX dash to a newer version? I've noticed the FTP server is very buggy .... lots of halted transfers but works fine when xbmc4xbox is running.
I've finally got Fable to run without any issues in 480p when launching it (installed to HDD) from the EvoX dash.
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I can't speak to advantages between EvoX versions. I rarely use it myself apart from bios flashing. Personally, I have always used UnleashX for FTP transfers. XBMC works for FTP, but it's slow. In XBMC I get 4MB/s and in UnleashX I get 11-14MB/s. About the failed FTP transfers, sometimes you can run into issues if your FTP program is allowing more connections than the Xbox is. I personally use FileZilla but you might find similar settings in the client you're using. I'd suggest checking out this thread for some FTP speed and reliability tips: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =14&t=1012

About Fable, is it from the same region that your Xbox is? PAL/NTSC.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Amigaz

Post by Amigaz »

GoTeamScotch wrote:I can't speak to advantages between EvoX versions. I rarely use it myself apart from bios flashing. Personally, I have always used UnleashX for FTP transfers. XBMC works for FTP, but it's slow. In XBMC I get 4MB/s and in UnleashX I get 11-14MB/s. About the failed FTP transfers, sometimes you can run into issues if your FTP program is allowing more connections than the Xbox is. I personally use FileZilla but you might find similar settings in the client you're using. I'd suggest checking out this thread for some FTP speed and reliability tips: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =14&t=1012

About Fable, is it from the same region that your Xbox is? PAL/NTSC.
Thanks, going to give UnleasHX a go on this Xbox .. I''m ran that dash on my now retired softmodded Xbox 1.6.
I use Filezilla, going to check that post you mention, thanks.

The Fable game is PAL and my Xbox is set to NTSC-U thru Enigmah

On my other chip modded Xbox I have troubles launching several games ... I think it must be a Bios issue
Xbox Crystal 1.6 chipped
Xbox 1.6 softmod