[Linux] XDSL 7.0: Duct Taped R1. Support and Requests= Open

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
baggacfreak

Re: [Linux] XDSL 7.0: Duct Taped R1. Support and Requests= O

Post by baggacfreak »

It would be nice to have a version only starting linux without gui and mpi cluster services plus ssh to log in to check cluster client. I have asked another question on this part of the forum about xdsl installation on a non xbox hardware and whether this would work. We have 2 retro meetings every year (one coming this month) and I would love to set up a linux cluster with 3-4 xbox classic and 1 old notebook as cluster head. Any hints and help is welcome!
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I'm glad this post got bumped because I haven't seen this before. Downloading and trying out now. :D
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

This is the easiest way to run Linux, and probably the best experience. Firefox will even run YouTube.

Best on a 128MB.

I need to sit down and figure out a way to get a 2.6 kernel to run more updated packages.

Here's another interesting new & dying thread: http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic ... 74545788d6
lugnut2099

Post by lugnut2099 »

fxmech wrote:This is the easiest way to run Linux, and probably the best experience. Firefox will even run YouTube.
Wait, whaaa? Crap, did I miss this by just a few freakin' days? I'd never bothered installing before just because it seemed kinda "neat but useless" for me, but earlier I got bored and decided to give it a shot. The first thing I tried? Youtube through Firefox, where I was greeted with a warning screen telling me that my browser was unsupported. I thought about trying to update, but didn't expect much success anyway. Maybe it's worth it, because the bundled version (2.0.something) is probably just a bit too ancient at this point. (I was getting a lot of errors and funky-displaying sites in general).

This does seem like a project that work should continue on, for sure. And one that looks to my untrained eye like it actually still has potential for significant growth (whereas things like XBMC and other such ambitious projects kinda feel like they just plain ran hard into the limits of the Xbox a long time ago).
nin1

Post by nin1 »

Anyone tried XDSL with 128mb + upgraded cpu, 1.4 Ghz?
Outlook mail works great. Firefox surfing okay, but certifications issues with webpages issues pop up is disturbing.
baggacfreak

Post by baggacfreak »

Can anyone post a link to the repository? Can software like, mame, chocolate doom (just found out how to get triple view) or other emulators be installed and be used rather than using emulators from the xbox gui? I was thinking off building something like the retropi, but with xbox.
GoTeamScotch

Re: [Linux] XDSL 7.0: Duct Taped R1. Support and Requests= Open

Post by GoTeamScotch »

-- edit, don't want to offend --

Btw, I've been using this copy of xDSL for a while (since my last post) and it's great. Definitely the most user friendly xbox linux distro I've used!
Last edited by GoTeamScotch on Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

@GoTeamScotch Do you realise that XBMC4Xbox only dev, Buzz, is the main Retropie dev?
And lets not even talk about how irrespectious CoinOps "creator" is with other devs.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Nope, I didn't. Just have had good experiences with coinops and years ago when I tried retropi I remember it being a not so user-friendly experience but that was a while ago so maybe things have changed. Bagga's comment was about getting "[software] or other emulators installed ... rather than using emulators from the xbox gui" and suggesting coinops as a means of doing that doesn't seem irrelevant to me. But anyways, no offense intended to buzz or the work he does.
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

will there be a R2 or updated version of this Distro very excited for this and looking forward to using it on my N64Freak xbox once it arrives :D
nin1

Post by nin1 »

I just tried it with my 1 GHZ + 128 MB RAM Xbox from n64 freak. It works perfect.
nin1

Post by nin1 »

1 ghz + 128mb runs smooth on the Linux XDSL. A real pity that the browser is so outdated.