thermal paste ?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
dazzzer1

thermal paste ?

Post by dazzzer1 »

Picked up a used xbox version 1.0 do you think I should do a thermal paste to cpu, gpu before using it ? If so does anyone know a guide for it ?
GoTeamScotch

Re: thermal paste ?

Post by GoTeamScotch »

You more than likely don't **need** to replace the thermal paste but it doesn't hurt to do it anyway. If you do it wrong, however, you could make temperatures worse which wouldn't be good. It won't kill the Xbox if you do it wrong but you'll just end up with higher temps than when you started. That being said, it's very easy to replace thermal paste. You just have to remove the heatsinks, clean the old paste, apply new paste, then put the heatsinks back on.

A few tips for if you choose to proceed:
  • If the heatsink doesn't come off, you might try turning on the console with the internal fan unplugged for a couple of minutes (maybe 5m). This warms up and loosens the old caked on thermal paste, making it easier to pull off the heatsink(s).
  • Clean the old thermal paste using acetone or the product "ArctiClean". Alcohol works but the other two work better in my opinion.
  • Don't apply new paste until all of the old paste is cleaned from both the chip and heatsink.
  • Don't apply too much new thermal paste. The amount should be about the size of a pea on the GPU and less on the CPU (maybe the size 3 grains of rice or so).
  • Don't spread the new thermal paste out. Some people say you should do this but don't. It leaves air bubbles which increase heat.
As far as how to do it, look up a couple of YouTube videos and get a feel for it. I'm sure there are tons of guides on the net if you google it.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
MrMajst3r

Re: thermal paste ?

Post by MrMajst3r »