Can I download legit copies of games to my hdd with xbmc?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
border collie21

Can I download legit copies of games to my hdd with xbmc?

Post by border collie21 »

Im building a slim box right now, and I was wondering if I could download my (legit) games to the hdd without a modchip if I'm using xbmc. I plan to use a 1tb hdd.
Thanks
GoTeamScotch

Re: Can I download legit copies of games to my hdd with xbmc

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Go to the file manager in XBMC and copy the game as seen on your D:\ drive to a folder somewhere on the 1TB drive. If that sounds hard, you can also use the app "dvd2xbox" to rip the game.

Also, you can rip games over FTP if your 1TB drive isn't setup in an Xbox yet.

Edit: don't copy games using XBMC's filemanager. See professor_jonny's response as to why.
Last edited by GoTeamScotch on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
border collie21

I looked for dvd2xbox and when I tried to download it, I was sent somewhere that I think was a pirating website, the second time I tried it I was sent to a fake charter spectrum support site.
border collie21

Is there a tutorial on putting a bigger hdd in the xbox without downloading viruses? I want to put xbmc on my 1tb hdd, and transfer my games to that hdd instead of having a disc drive.
Wally12

Post by Wally12 »

border collie21 wrote:Is there a tutorial on putting a bigger hdd in the xbox without downloading viruses? I want to put xbmc on my 1tb hdd, and transfer my games to that hdd instead of having a disc drive.

Yes, there are multiple videos on YouTube on using XboxHDM or Chimp2618 to upgrade your HDD. I reccommend Chimmp because it is quite easy to use. XboxHDM is as well, but I didn't use that method as I don't have a PC with an IDE connection for a HDD.

I created a thread when I needed some help with this. You can give it a look. It might have some useful information.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=4533

As far as copying your disc games, I would just uses DVD2Xbox to get them all copied to your HDD before making the box into a Slim. Once it's a slim and you don't have a disc drive, I'm not sure how you would do it. Although, I have seen a "use external disc drive" option in the settings of XBMC.
Last edited by Wally12 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Qwix will backup and extract XISO for use on Xbox HDD. It will automatically ftp the files from PC to Xbox once extracted, too.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

dvd2xbox from what I believe try's to patch the game executable's and truncates non fatx compliant filenames stored on the game disks when ripping the titles.

fatx formatted hdd's and xbox game disks have differences in supported characters and amount of characters allowed in the path and file name etc...

If you copy a game using xbmc with the file manager you may come across files that won't copy or may get truncated in the progress which could make a game not operate or crash.
xman

Post by xman »

border collie21 wrote:Is there a tutorial on putting a bigger hdd in the xbox without downloading viruses? I want to put xbmc on my 1tb hdd, and transfer my games to that hdd instead of having a disc drive.

You can use DVD2Xbox to load and convert your games to the Xbox HDD and then FTP those games to your PC's HDD. Once you have your 1TB in the machine, FTP the games back on the new Xbox HDD. I have a 2TB USB HDD on my PC that holds are my Xbox games. Using FTP means you can load games without a DVDrive providing they are on your PC and have been through the DVD2Xbox proceedure.
Wally12 wrote:

Once it's a slim and you don't have a disc drive, I'm not sure how you would do it. Although, I have seen a "use external disc drive" option in the settings of XBMC.

You can just plug in a DVDrive providing you are using a NON DVDrive bios that only has the "check DVD" option turned off and you haven't removed the actual DVD boot path from the bios. What this means is the machine will run without a DVDrive or with one. If there is a DVDrive installed, the bios boot path will use the DVD and read off it just like a normal Xbox. If you unplug the DVDrive....(slim)..., it will ignore the DVD boot path and step onto the next boot path in the line which ideally would be your booting app like XBMC either direct or via shortcut. Being a slim without a DVDrive simply means take the lid off the Xbox, plug in the DVDrive beside the slim and use it to do what you need to do. Once your done, unplug the DVDrive and put the lid back on. It is good insurance on a slim to have this ability just in case the Xbox will not boot it's normal boot path. Remember, when editing a bios, only turn off the DVD check and don't remove the DVD boot path.

The boot paths will look like this...

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\nexgen.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\avalaunch.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

This is from a IND bios but they all look similar....Note the 4th boot path in the bios-

DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

This is the boot line you do not remove from the boot path stack. If you take it out and many people do, the DVD will never read again. Simply turning off the DVD check in the bios will work just fine being able to run the machine without a DVDrive in place. I say this though experience. I downloaded a non DVD bios from Eurasia into a slim, a month later I put in a bad XBMC download in my slim and the machine wouldn't boot. Lucky I had the machine chipped and simply swapped the modchip for a spare one that had the DVD path intact and was able to use the install disc to FTP the bad copy of XBMC out and reload another good one. That was the last bios I downloaded and installed. Since then I have always modded my own bioses. Another good trick is to have boot paths that will boot another app with a filemanager. You will notice the boot path list has 3 dashes. You can change those to ones that suit your machine and the apps you have like changing the DASH1 to-

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\XBMC.xbe

and the machine will boot direct to XBMC if you load XBMC in the location. If you use Avalaunch as an app, you could put that into the 2nd boot location. This 2nd boot path will work if the 1st boot path fails for any reason. Alternatively you could decide to have a 2nd version of XBMC on the machine and edit it's folder name to XBMC2 and make your 2nd bios boot path like this-

DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\XBMC2.xbe

If the 1st boot path fails for any reason, this boot path will boot your other version of XBMC called XBMC2 and you can use it to repair what went wrong with XBMC. I could go on but these are nice things to know when doing a slim.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

fxmech wrote:Qwix will backup and extract XISO for use on Xbox HDD. It will automatically ftp the files from PC to Xbox once extracted, too.
+1 for this method, very very quick transfer speeds when you use Qwix and Avalaunch together. Honestly though you can just get your hard drive setup and then build your slim. After your done building it you can transfer your games. If you have original disc's only then just use DVD2XBOX to transfer the games onto the hard drive and then build your slim.

Dont forget to post some pics in the Case Modding thread. ;)
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

professor_jonny wrote:dvd2xbox from what I believe try's to patch the game executable's and truncates non fatx compliant filenames stored on the game disks when ripping the titles.

fatx formatted hdd's and xbox game disks have differences in supported characters and amount of characters allowed in the path and file name etc...

If you copy a game using xbmc with the file manager you may come across files that won't copy or may get truncated in the progress which could make a game not operate or crash.
Good point. I hadn't thought about that. Other readers: disregard my previous post.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Nextelhalo wrote:
fxmech wrote:Qwix will backup and extract XISO for use on Xbox HDD. It will automatically ftp the files from PC to Xbox once extracted, too.
+1 for this method, very very quick transfer speeds when you use Qwix and Avalaunch together. Honestly though you can just get your hard drive setup and then build your slim. After your done building it you can transfer your games. If you have original disc's only then just use DVD2XBOX to transfer the games onto the hard drive and then build your slim.

Then +1 the post cause the OP didn't notice. :D

With a PC, read your Xbox game discs using Qwix. It will automatically patch and truncate filenames just like DVD2Xbox, but from your PC! This means it is no-DVD-drive-in-your-slim compatible, for the record.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

fxmech wrote:
Nextelhalo wrote:

Then +1 the post cause the OP didn't notice. :D

With a PC, read your Xbox game discs using Qwix. It will automatically patch and truncate filenames just like DVD2Xbox, but from your PC! This means it is no-DVD-drive-in-your-slim compatible, for the record.
Wait, you're talking about using Qwix over FTP, right? Not hooking an Xbox dvd drive up to a PC?
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Yes.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Looks like I am tardy to the party. For Chimping, see my signature.

I use DVD2Xbox personally. If need be, one of us could be sports and send this man the file, yes?
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!