auto boot games / programs on startup

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
a1matt

Re: auto boot games / programs on startup

Post by a1matt »

Dan Dar3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 am All great suggestions, but if you still want to use XBMC4Xbox as the startup application because say you want to pop a controller in and jump into Recovery Mode (White + Y) and gain FTP access to transfer a new game or switch games or whatever...

Rip the game with DVD2Xbox into say F:\Games\House Of Dead 3

Hack XBMC4Xbox to provide a seamless game start:
  • Replace boot splash (Q:\media\splash.png) with a game related one
  • Craft a Q:\scrips\autoexec.py to start your game first thing:

Code: Select all

import xbmc
    xbmc.executebuiltin( "XBMC.RunXBE(%s)" % ("F:\\Games\\House Of Dead 3\\default.xbe") )
If it still shows XBMC4Xbox backgrounds and such before it runs your game, you could copy whichever skin or simply hack existing one as per below:
  • Rename Q:\skin\CHOSEN SKIN\media\ to something like media.removed (might need to do this while it's not running as the file is in use or switch temporarily to another skin so you can work on it) - to give it a black, no images look
  • Rename Q:\skin\CHOSEN SKIN\backgrounds to backgrounds.removed - black, no backgrounds look, or alternatively replace Q:\skin\CHOSEN SKIN\backgrounds\skindefault\skindefault.jpg with a game related image (this is for after the splash)
  • Change Q:\skin\CHOSEN SKIN\colors\default.xml to set all colors to FF000000 (black)
I'm sure if you want to go down this path and feel the whole skin thing might be a bit too much, I'm sure someone might offer to craft a "blank" skin for you to use ;-) at Dom DXecutioner

Thank you for this code, I don't know any python so without this I would have been stumped.

I'll describe my use case as it might serve as a resource for others who are trying to do the same.

I use the confluence lite skin (bundled with XBMC4XBOX 3.5.3) and wanted to launch games from the addon shortcuts on the homepage.

The skin doesnt cater for this, but it does accept plugin shortcuts.

So, I added the code to default.py, saved it in a folder with the game name, and placed that in the plugins folder.

Then go into the skin settings and add the plugin folder as the shortcut.

Rinse and repeat for each game I want a shortcut for.

Worked a charm.