XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
scroeffie

1.6 clock cap

Post by scroeffie »

i have a 1.6 motherboard the clock cap is bulging what do i do
hawsey

Re: 1.6 clock cap

Post by hawsey »

I've had a look around the net and if it really is a 1.6 it won't leak as they are different from the aerogel ones in models 1 to 1.5
But if you really want to do something about it you need to replace it as the box won't boot without it .
Have you any photographs of the offending capacitor .
:-)
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

yess i have a picture
Attachments
clock cap.jpg
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

It does look a bit bulgy you are right , does anyone else know whether these leak or not ?
If not I would tend to leave it alone and if it fails replace it , I think this is the sort of replacement you need
http://www.active-robots.com/1-0f-2-5v- ... -capacitor
If there is a chance it will leak I would take it out asap :-)
Anybody else ?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Replace it before it leaks, no point leaving it, it's a 2 second job.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

no disrespect rocky buy soldering is hard for me dont have stable hands
i wil trie thanks for the link for the cap
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Scroeffie , am am the same as yourself with soldering , probably just don't do enough of it to be confident .
Unless you can find any information of a 1.6 clock capacitor leaking I would leave it alone.
It might stop working at the worst and then you would know to replace the capacitor first but as far as I am aware these ones do not leak .
:-)
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

That looks blown already.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So if it's probably blown and no sign of leaking would it be ok to leave it ?
spicemuseum

1.6 clock cap

Post by spicemuseum »

scroeffie, I have moved two of your threads out of the "Guides and Tutorials" section into the appropriate sections. Please take care to post in the right place, thanks.
xman

Post by xman »

I know how much some of you guys just love removing leaking caps after the cap has leaked and started eating away your mother board. This is also a massive problem on pinball machines however it is 3 AA batteries that leak when they haven't been changed for a couple of years on pinballs but this post is about how to clean up that corrosive mess and stop it from doing more damage. I read this post this morning and thought this is ideal for Xboxes as well.

(Quote)

Now clean 100% of the corrosion from the board.
You can use a brass PC board brush, 400 grit sandpaper, soda or bead blasting. There are too many ways to describe them all here, but whatever you do, just make sure you get all the corrosion. I expect most pros are using bead blasting and most amateurs are using a brass brush.
After physically removing the corrosion, we chemically neutralize any invisible remnants with toothbrush and 50/50 white vinegar and water. The vinegar (acid) is the chemical opposite of the alkali (base).
After neutralizing the alkali, we clean off the vinegar with isopropyl alcohol.
After soldering on your new sockets, paint over the formerly corroded traces and pads with your green touch up pen, or clear nail polish. This will seal out any further corrosion.

We have no sockets to deal with on Xboxes but the rest of this info is "the proper way" to take care of this problem I believe.
Honestly, I think the best outcome would be to remove the time caps and replace them with AA batteries because then they will last for a number of years and hold the time on the machine for a number of years rather than just 4 hours as they were originally intended. However, unlike the pinball manufactures, do the mod we do to them now and locate the batteries and there holder away from the board. I intend on looking at the circuit diagrams that unlike MS board diagrams, are available anywhere to see exactly how they use batteries to power the memory backup rather than stupid 4 hour caps.
seriouslycgi

Post by seriouslycgi »

are 1.6 becoming a problem? probably not as bad as 1-1.5 but they may now be showing the same signs. i will keep an eye out for my 1.6 leaking, or dying.
Puritan007

Post by Puritan007 »

Yes they are. They are only rated for so many years at so much temp range etc. All xbox Capacitors should be replaced at this age really. Regardless of version.

Yes 1.6 clock cap can fail, yes they can leak. Replace it.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The life of any capacitor should depend on the typical temperatures it has experienced during use and that is largely dependent on the ambient temperature, location ie.ventilation, insulation caused by dust/fluff build up and of course how often it is used.

It is my contention that the clock capacitor only goes as early as some people here have experienced because the Xbox is kept power on ie. off but with power. So it is being kept at its working temperature 24/7 365.

Capacitors are normally rated to 2000hrs at 85 degrees Centigrade and that doubles every 10 degrees Centigrade below.
EDIT 02.03.20
Researching recently in regard to this I've learned that most clock capacitors types/brands used in the Xbox are actually only rated for 1000hrs at 75C. Many of the replacement 1F 2.5v capacitors you can find are only rated to 70C, some even less with a recommended maximum operating temperature of 60C. That significantly affects the calculations made below.

As the Xbox, even a v1.6 rarely exceeds 45 degrees Centigrade (using XBMC reported temperatures) and the CPU/GPU temperature is likely way above the clock capacitor because of where it is on the PCB I'd bet the temperature is nearer 35 degrees Centigrade.

But lets assume worst case that it is 45 degrees Centigrade: that would give it a life expectancy of 32000hrs. Given that most users are not going to be keeping it on 24/7 365 and unlikely to be using it more than 4hrs a day (a gross over-estimation over its entire lifetime) that is 8000 days, about 21 years. Call it 20 years and, in theory if well cared for even a still regularly heavily used Xbox should not expect to suffer clock capacitor failure until the end of next year at the earliest.

In reality you can probably double that to 40 years and for many of us it is unlikely to fail during our lifetime.

The capacitors that are more likely to go are those on the power board which get far hotter in normal use and indeed that is what has happened to me 5 years ago with my most used Xbox (a <10 year old v1.6 2005 Xbox) and why I bought a couple of spare v1.6 ones to cannibalize.