FTP client on XBOX

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
wchusky

FTP client on XBOX

Post by wchusky »

i know you can FTP into a XBOX. Is there a native FTP client for the XBOX where you can FTP from the XBOX to another FTP server? I never seen one so just wondering if such program exists. Thanks!
Ging3rguy

Re: FTP client on XBOX

Post by Ging3rguy »

Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Try the built-in File Manager, use "Add source" to add an FTP source and use it from there.
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Filemanager
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I use the Xbox FTPClient app when I need to transfer stuff between Xboxes.

It has the one of the worst designed GUIs ever thought out for controller navigation and just plain bad button mapping decisions ie. press the White button to start processing the queue. The app is also a little flakely in that once you start the FTPing it will sometimes initially start on a blue screen with minimal indication that it is actually running. Then at some point in the process it will suddenly switch to what I assume is the intended main screen which is like a file manager with an active dialogue box showing the transfering files/speed etc.

But for all these problems, and there are others, it does work well enough for the infrequent use I make of it.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

For Xbox to Xbox just us UnleashX built in FTP server.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Can you explain how to enable the UnleashX built in FTP client because in the versions I've tried it does not seem to work. Probably an UnleashX config XML issue but the fact is the FTP menu options are all available but the only one that does anything on my Xbox and all UnleashX dash versions I've tried is "Reset the Network".

BTW with the UnleashX/FTP Client App I found two 'quirk' new to me today. I was trying to copy over my main XBMC4Xbox folder to another Xbox as I've been customising it recently adding lots of skins, scripts and plugins. A lot of those came in zip or rar packs which I'd extracted them from on the Xbox/UnleashX dash File Manager.

I kept on getting failed FTP transfers and half transfers ie. missings or even empty folders. In the past I've discovered this is usually caused by exceeding the sub-folder or file name limits so I usually resolve it by simply copying the folder to the root of the F:\drive rather than from within Apps folder. But in this case I kept on getting Error 183 again and again when I tried to copy XBMC4XBox out of Apps.

The cause: a significant number of plugins, scripts and even one skin some, not all, text files (not XMLs) ie. Licence, Readme, Changelog etc were all missing their extensions ie. TXT or NFO. UnleashX refused to copy them and that was the problem with the FTP Client failing the transfers too. Once I'd gone through the business of identifying all of them and adding the extensions manually they copied and FTPed perfectly.

But then I came across another problem the FTP Client apparently doesn't like copying or even displaying individual folders containing more than, I'm guessing, 1GB of data. Unfortunately my XBMC4Xbox "skin" folder contains about 1.5GB of skins and what this meant was that the FTP Client refuses to display any of the XBMC4Xbox folders/files in its file manager and although FTPing is possible and only the individual files copy and the folders alphabetically before "skins" folder transfer. So no "system", "visualisations" or "Userdata".

This is very similar to a problem I've come across before with UnleashX when trying use the File Manager just to look at files on optical discs. The FATX file limit might be 4GB but UnleashX and it would appear the FTP Client App too can have problems with folders containing over 1GB of data.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

For UnleashX you head over to the file manager & press start & select the bottom option, "switch to ftp browser..."

Now press start & you can do two things here.

Quick connect = just enter the other Xbox IP to connect.
New Site = same as above but it's saved for future use.

After you have connected you can now transfer to & from both Xboxs.

I find it strange very few know about this feature :lol: it's been in UnleashX for a very long time.

Using this you can connect to say, as an example. Emuxtras FTP server & transfer stuff without the use of a PC ;) since UnleashX can decompress zip & rar files.
(Note UnleashX will arse up on large zips/rars or ones with thousands of files)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I was under the impression you can only push or pull with unleash as there is a bug in the ftp code.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

professor_jonny wrote:I was under the impression you can only push or pull with unleash as there is a bug in the ftp code.
Not entitle sure what you mean by push & pull :?
(Send & receive?)

UnleashX FTP client, only works for local FTP :( tested last night.
(Xbox to Xbox eg...)

Pity as I was hoping emuxtras would work, cutting the middle man out.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Thanks for the information about how to use UnleashX FTP. I've used UnleashX for years without ever thinking of trying that instead of the FTP Client app.

BTW I've edited my previous post about the problems with the FTP Client as regards file size causing problems with FTPing. A bit of testing showed it actually wasn't the large XBMC4Xbox "skin" folder that was and still is the cause of the transfer problem. I finally indentified the folder as the "plugins" one and, probably, something in the "video" sub-folder as that is the last thing which, partially, transfers correctly But I am unable to identify the specific culprit.

Whatl I do know is that if I replace the contents of that "plugins" > "video" folder in question, which contains about a couple of dozen items, with the default selection usually provided with XBMC4Xbox the FTP Client transfers everything correctly.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Rocky5 wrote:
professor_jonny wrote:I was under the impression you can only push or pull with unleash as there is a bug in the ftp code.
Not entitle sure what you mean by push & pull :?
(Send & receive?)

UnleashX FTP client, only works for local FTP :( tested last night.
(Xbox to Xbox eg...)

Pity as I was hoping emuxtras would work, cutting the middle man out.
push as in use xbox to send to other xbox or pull meaning suck from a serving xbox to the one you want the files on, there is bugs that caus files to be missed or skipped in one direction from memory.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Yup now I gotta find my post somewhere regarding this. I probably put it on emuxtras
------
Guide is up on transfer speeds, whufclee authored the thread.

Use UnleashX on both ends... If it gives you problems "putting" then try "getting". I found it copying folders as files and failing to create the directory after this. If you're doing big transfers UnleashX also allows to build a queue, making it my choice for FTP.

------

My post here didn't make much sense, but you want the local box to pull the files from the source Xbox to the one you are running the client on.

The ftp server should not be in charge of file and folder creation if you use it in that way
Coldly-Indifferent

Just want to thank Rocky5 for his information about how to enable the built in UnleashX FTP client.

I tried it myself today and compared to the FTP Client app it is like a hare compared to a tortoise. All I had to do was put in the other Xbox's IP in the Quick Connect menu and it immediately connected. But it was the transfer speed that has got to make this the far better choice.

The previous day the XBMC4Xbox installation I wanted to copy over to the other machine took an absolute age with all the hassles mentioned. Using the UnleashX FTP client it copied not just that but a whole load of other stuff in a fraction of the time.

I'm really embarrassed that as a long time user of UnleashX I didn't know how to use its FTP client, I just thought it was broken and so never tried to use it again. Silly me. :)
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Tue May 12, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wchusky

Post by wchusky »

FTP client in the built-in flle manager works great. Thanks for the help guys!