Cloning a hdd?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Oldxboxusa

Cloning a hdd?

Post by Oldxboxusa »

Is there a way to cloning a hdd to another? Not via smartxx os. In Linux there is an terminal command "dd". Does anyone test it? Raw to raw?
DavPow

Re: Cloning a hdd?

Post by DavPow »

You can clone an HDD with Chimp. Never tried any other methods though.
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
Oldxboxusa

Post by Oldxboxusa »

ok thank you. i will test it out.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Chimp doesn't support larger hdd, anything over 250GB will start acting up later due to chimp not supporting larger cluster sizes. (only supports 16k)

So it's only really useful if you have a stock or smaller hdd.

Note, it's only the F & G partitions that would be effected, since they can go to 1tb each.

So what that means is, clone the normal partitions (C, E) & if your F partition is under 250gb clone that too, but if you have a larger F partition you will need to reformat it with Xbpartitoner v1.3, so don't clone it it would be a wast of time.

16k cluster size
0GB - 250GB
32k cluster size
250GB - 500GB
64k cluster size
500gb - 1TB

Only real way to clone an xbox hdd, is having two Xbox's & FTPing the content between them, or backing up your hdd to your PC & restoring the content to a new hdd. (Obviously you would clone the C & E partition with Chimp first & format the extra partitions with XBPartitioner 1.3)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

Rocky5 wrote:Chimp doesn't support larger hdd, anything over 250GB will start acting up later due to chimp not supporting larger cluster sizes. (only supports 16k)

Note, it's only the F & G partitions that would be effected, since they can go to 1tb each.

So what that means is, clone the normal partitions (C, E) & if your F partition is under 250gb clone that too, but if you have a larger F partition you will need to reformat it with Xbpartitoner v1.3, so don't clone it it would be a wast of time.

Only real way to clone an xbox hdd, is having two Xbox's & FTPing the content between them, or backing up your hdd to your PC & restoring the content to a new hdd. (Obviously you would clone the C & E partition with Chimp first & format the extra partitions with XBPartitioner 1.3)
chimp2618 is cluster size neutral since it does bit-level cloning of the source hdd so it doesn't care if partition is 16K/32K/64K. It does understand the xbpartitioner created partition table for F/G partition. I'll be happy to fix any reported problems with F/G handling in chimp261811.
Ldotsfan :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

ldotsfan wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Chimp doesn't support larger hdd, anything over 250GB will start acting up later due to chimp not supporting larger cluster sizes. (only supports 16k)

chimp2618 is cluster size neutral since it does bit-level cloning of the source hdd so it doesn't care if partition is 16K/32K/64K. It does understand the xbpartitioner created partition table for F/G partition. I'll be happy to fix any reported problems with F/G handling in chimp261811.
2618 worked if doing a sector clone (bit by bit) but it doesn't increase the partitions sizes, the partition selection, I got no option to clone a G partition, I assumed G partitions were not supported & when I cloned a large F partition I ran into ample issue with files not transferring, saying they were transfered & not transfering, overwriting files eg.. symptoms of a wrong cluster size. Reformatted the F & new G partition with XBPartitioner & no issues since.

So if Chimp2618 (last version released) does support 16/32/64k cluster sizes, then something went tits up for me, it's why I typed out the above post :-/

261811, New version out?
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

rocky5: was that the app version of 2618? Did you try the LUD disc version of 2618?

261811: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 885#p25885
Ldotsfan :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

It was the app version, installed to E:\ & never used the disc version since I had no reason to do so.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5