So i found trusty's email from xbscene.

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
GhostlyGamer

So i found trusty's email from xbscene.

Post by GhostlyGamer »

And i emailed him, and well, apparently, he is still doing the mods O.O
may have to send in one of my working boards to get him to do the BGA work
professor_jonny

Re: So i found trusty's email from xbscene.

Post by professor_jonny »

GhostlyGamer wrote:And i emailed him, and well, apparently, he is still doing the mods O.O
it may be cheaper for him to supply one shipping is killer!!

220 usd for him to supply a board was the cost of mine
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

professor_jonny wrote:
GhostlyGamer wrote:And i emailed him, and well, apparently, he is still doing the mods O.O
it may be cheaper for him to supply one shipping is killer!!

220 usd for him to supply a board was the cost of mine

Im just doing the Proc upgrade with him, ram im doing my self. Id ship it, he'd do the upgrade, an ship it back. 180 to him + what ever it takes for me to ship it there.

if i had a reball station id do it myself lol, but i thought id try to a trusty box, and well, it seems i may well have.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Always been tempted... even had the stuff in a box ready to go... but never sent it...

I was tempted to do one last xbox build and make it a Trusty.....

Might be worth sending him a link to this new site so he knows where to find everyone! :D
Maza

Post by Maza »

I remember from the old forum that somebody was supposed to give one trusty Xbox to one the dev's in this case maybe exobuzz, so he can take a look at it and see if he could make it xbmc4xbox friendly.
Xbox 1.4, softmod, 250 GB HDD, Monster Gamelink 400 X Component Video & Monster LightWave 100 X, silent fan mod, Confluence Lite 720p
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

If you do send a mobo to trusty, ask him to email you a word doc or similar with his address in chinese characters, i send stuff to my brother in shanghai with his address in both english and chinese so i know he'll get it.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

is there any benefit to the added ram and processor?

What is coded to use it? Will XBMC see it? I am thinking about contacting him to have it done I just want to know what it will do for me.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Dawscaus wrote:is there any benefit to the added ram and processor?

What is coded to use it? Will XBMC see it? I am thinking about contacting him to have it done I just want to know what it will do for me.
CoinOps and a couple other emulators will run faster, and so will Xbox-Linux. Other than that, unless you are planning to make your own games and use it as a debug kit, nope, no benefit, and you actually have to patch your existing games so that they don't run overspeed. And if we ever get around to getting Buzz one of these boards, then xbmc may see it.
Dawscaus

Post by Dawscaus »

What about the extra ram does that throw kinks into everything as well?
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

The extra RAM has no effect on game speeds etc... some people claim it actually makes them smoother.... and again emulators and Linux will see benefit from the extra RAM, but not XBMC... although again some claim it does make things smoother and will play more memory hungry files... but XBMC is governed to the 64mb limit....

To see gain in ether CPU or memory, someone would have to donate or everyone would have to 'chip in' to buy a development box for BuZ - but saying that his stance has always been.. the xbox 'is what it is' a cheap media player as far as I know... you might twist his arm on the 128mb box as this is something people can do at home.... Jonathan Marshall offered many years ago to look at 128mb boxes if someone sent one to him... no one ever did....
professor_jonny

I did sort of a review on my board here:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... rusty#p353
one of the fallbacks of the xbox and xbmc4xbox is that the processor is not quick enough to play some hd content specifically 720p and above over 5000kbps (i think) this upgrade helps and makes the whole xbmc4xbox experienc better but sadly is still not enough to play 1080p content as the cpu is just not up to it.

the upgrade makes the interface seem a lot smoother when scrolling around the user interface and ftp transfers go a bit better during movie play.

Some say that the full potential of the processor is not utilised but this is not the case as i proformed some bench mark rendering tests with mplayer under xbmc4xbox and the results showed roughly twice the results so there is some merit to this as the processor is not just double the speed but also has double the processor cache and this may not fully be utilised.

From reading past heated conversations on the xbmc forums xbmc4xbox does not fully utilise the upper 64mb of ram in the xbox as it is said that the gpu is unable to address it but im not sold on this as the chip is 32 bit which shuld be able to address a max of 4gig of memory (in theory) but for sure the full 128mb of ram is not utilised currently from what the user interface says.

the upgrade if your after 1080p is a waste of your money at 220usd but for playing emulators such as coinops cps3 and nintendo 64 it makes a huge difference and would be a good upgrade to users wanting to have linux box or for bragging rights

I love my trusty xbox and would not part with it i use it almost every day even if it is for only playing a few songs from my pc when folding the washing or something but it does get a good hammering from the kids playing supermario 64 under the nintendo 64 emulator.

i thank trusty for the time skill and effort gone into doing this mod as it is really is a techinical job and his workman ship is briliant.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

I was only ever interested in 720p... but there never seemed to be a pure 720p review of the mods... AVI & MKV etc... 1080i/p is always going to be a complete no chance...
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

Geeba wrote:I was only ever interested in 720p... but there never seemed to be a pure 720p review of the mods... AVI & MKV etc... 1080i/p is always going to be a complete no chance...
As far as I can tell from experience, there isn't any significant difference on 720p between trusty and regular Xbox. Maybe 10%, probably depending on a codec. I have checked only some 720p movies and they played OK on both.
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

Well... It's a real shame i didnt do it before (almost a year after i said i would do)...
But 2 days ago i installed a Xenium on a 128mb board, upgraded Xenium OS.. shoved the mobo into an original debug-kit green case..
Now i just need to flash some bios on the chip, close the case, wrap all this up and send all this to our lord BuZz :D
Im also sending BuZz the original debug-kit mobo.. The reason why i'm putting the upgraded mobo in the case its cause i don't want any trouble during transport with the chip, especially the D0.
I'm going to go at the post office somewhere in the the middle of next week, so BuZz should receive all that somewhere in the 1st week of September.
(i hope i will have my Pi in the 2nd one ^^)

So he will have an original debug mobo and an upgraded mobo..

And as the 2 last posts are saying.. there is not much to gain from a bigger CPU... while more RAM could be a very big difference if XBMC4Xbox was using it.. (skin, script, ect ect)
The CPU is always going to stay bottlenecked by some other components on the board.. So the gain is not really important versus the Cost/Availability/Feasibility.

I love the Xbox A LOT... but at this point its better to spend 200$ on a Zotac Mini-ITX or something similar..

@GhostlyGamer: If you really want to upgrade the RAM by your self and get the CPU done by Trusty, i strongly recommand you to upgrade the RAM before..
Ruining a 1.4GHz mobo during a RAM upgrade would be a big shame :(
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Xphazer wrote: @GhostlyGamer: If you really want to upgrade the RAM by your self and get the CPU done by Trusty, i strongly recommand you to upgrade the RAM before..
Ruining a 1.4GHz mobo during a RAM upgrade would be a big shame :(
well duh

and great news!
Last edited by GhostlyGamer on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

Excellent news Xphazer, and thank you! I thought you had already forgotten about your promise :) If BuZz is interested enough to play with 128 mb, a new chapter for XBMC4XBOX may open. Just great!
eXo

Post by eXo »

so how does one get in contact with trusty? What are the pre-reqs that need to be addressed before sending him a board? do they have to be TSOP'd and within a certain version range etc etc?

also - with the ram/cpu upgrade, is it possible to run linux and XBMC on top of it to take advantage of the extra ram/cpu ?
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

eXo wrote:so how does one get in contact with trusty? What are the pre-reqs that need to be addressed before sending him a board? do they have to be TSOP'd and within a certain version range etc etc?

also - with the ram/cpu upgrade, is it possible to run linux and XBMC on top of it to take advantage of the extra ram/cpu ?
trustyty@nospamhotmail.com (remove the nospam, tryign to protect from bots lol)

and nope, no prereqs, just remove the heatsinks and modchips. he will tsop it if you want, and 1.0-1.5 if you want cpu and ram. 1.6 is only cpu and no tsop.

Linux will take advantage of it, but currently, XBMC4Xbox,cant becasue Buzz doesnt have a 128mb or Trusty board. i dont know about Xbmc for linux

also, xboxlinux, running xbmc for linux. XBMCeption
professor_jonny

from my testing the cpu has the bottle neck of just not being fastenough for higher bit rate 720p files but, it is possible that we could to offload certain instructions from the cpu and process them in the gpu it would be the best stab at 720p . the transport bus and cpu wont get flogged as the gpu has the membus hanging off it freeing up the cpu for other things.

back in the day some of the xbmc team optimised things to the gpu this but it only ever partially happened for a very few instructions.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I'd be happy if we could get a coded xbmc that will take advantage of 128mb ram as this is achievable by a larger number of users.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.