ODE for Xbox?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
fxmech

ODE for Xbox?

Post by fxmech »

Just wondering if, in theory, an optical disk emulator could be made for the original Xbox.

Like the XODE available for 360, except for our beloved old school Xbox.

Thoughts?
GhostlyGamer

Re: ODE for Xbox?

Post by GhostlyGamer »

It already plays DVD's that are ripped as .iso, and you can just use an extracted game ISO to play games. So its not really necessary. But it would be a cool project, especially for slims.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I was pondering it as a way to offload the xiso collection to a second HDD, thereby freeing up a ton of space on the HDD. Basically, a way to get a second HDD in the box that can run simultaneous with the "main" HDD. It struck me as a possibility this could circumvent the 1 active HDD limitation.
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

fxmech wrote:I was pondering it as a way to offload the xiso collection to a second HDD, thereby freeing up a ton of space on the HDD. Basically, a way to get a second HDD in the box that can run simultaneous with the "main" HDD. It struck me as a possibility this could circumvent the 1 active HDD limitation.

that would be a great thing.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
xman

Post by xman »

Yes I agree. I always thought it quite as shame to have a spare IDE lead just sitting there doing nothing in slims. In my later slims I actually started cutting off the long lead that used to go over to the HDD and used the old DVDplayer end to hook the HDD up to. I had to stop doing this as the slims grew in HDD sizes up to and over 1TB and then I needed the lead for Thomson DVD boards to simulate the machine having a working DVD. For those that aren't aware, the limit that the non DVD bioses stop functioning at simulating a working DVD is somewhere between 600 and 700GB. At that size of HDDs in slims, going into filemanger in XBMC results in the machine looking up solid requiring a power down/ power up reset. The only way I could get around this issue was to use a DVD board out of a DVD drive much the same way you need to on a softmodded slim. I choose Thomson boards for the job because most Thomsons fail and they also were the smallest and easiest boards to mod. :D
asbo

Post by asbo »

Rather than wishing for something that probably won't happen its easier to put all your videos/music on a NAS/server and use the xbox hard drive for just games etc :) almost certainly cheaper too ;)
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Humbug! :evil:

But not a bad assumption asbo. Maybe some crazy villain will take on the project so he can stake claim to the first *real* 4-6TB Xbox.