Hello!/ BIOS questions

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
TheGeekoid

Hello!/ BIOS questions

Post by TheGeekoid »

First off i wanna say Hello as I just joined. Second, how do i go about properly changing the Bios. I have 2 original Xboxes that i can tinker with. One is a revision 1.6 and the other is a 1.1 or 1.2. They both work perfectly. I already softmodded them. I have a Maxtor 250 GB drive to install but the xbox doesnt seem to want to lock it though it has locking capabillity. From what ive read i might need a different BIOS to support a drive that big. I also have the Female USB to Male Xbox adapter that i made (for softmodding) Any suggestions, tutorials, info will be helpful. I will provide any more technical info as needed/requested.

Thanks!
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
spicemuseum

Re: Hello!/ BIOS questions

Post by spicemuseum »

TheGeekoid wrote:First off i wanna say Hello as I just joined.
Welcome.
TheGeekoid wrote:Second, how do i go about properly changing the Bios. I have 2 original Xboxes that i can tinker with. One is a revision 1.6
You'll need a modchip.
TheGeekoid wrote:and the other is a 1.1 or 1.2.
Choice of modchip or TSOP flash. Both will require soldering skills of you (or a willing collaborator), the latter won't require you to purchase any additional hardware to fit to the box.

Plenty of info about TSOP flashing, modchips and BIOS advice in these forums, especially in the modding section. Let us know if you still have questions after taking a look.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Welp ive gone to hell and back again on the internet to find a modchip in recent months. Most website domains that sold the real ones are shut down (seeing as the Xbox is outdated). I also mostly found knockoffs or really expensive ones, so that is out of the question. I will try TSOP flashing (i hope i dont arse things up) on the 1.1/1.2 revision. I had gotten the 2 xboxes and a crapload of games and controllers for free from a friend who upgraded to a 360. I have little to no knowledge of soldering (im 12) but im sure my dad will teach me. Also, i used Chimp off of an AID disk i made. It copied things over to the 250 GB drive just fine, the only issue is when i went to lock it. Both Xboxes wouldnt lock it. There was text saying to push a certain key to perform locking, though nothing happened when i did (even with a Keyboard connected). Thanks for the info!
Rule number one, do NOT fly into a thunderstorm. Rule number two, if you fly into a thunderstorm, see rule number one.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Did you look / ask on the Marketplace here?
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

I have not asked in the marketplace. A guy had 4 Aladdin chips but he wanted Euro i think. I use US Dollars. I told him i would consider if he used USD. I dont really want a modchip anyways. To me it seems challenging and uneeded. What i plan to do with my Xboxes i shouldnt need a modchip for it. I am currently studying TSOP Flashing at the moment and will attempt it tomorrow or sunday. I have avoided it because im seriously afraid of arsing them up and bricking them. If i ruin the 1.1/1.2 Xbox hard drive upgrade is out of the question. If i do ruin it i hope i find someone who sells decent condition ones in bulk.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

TheGeekoid wrote:I dont really want a modchip anyways. To me it seems challenging and uneeded.
Yes that's absolutely true. If you are able to get the tsop flashing working it's better in my opinion than a chip. Note that you not turning off your xbox after tsop flash unless you have checked that the new flashed bios got exactly the checksum you tested on your pc for that file. If not flash again. If you directly turn off and something went wrong you need a preflashed modchip.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay i have one final question. The operating system i live on is linux. I despise windows. Is there a method to use linux to flash and/or create the hexen disc? I would prefer doing it with Hexen.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yeah burn the ISO with burning software built for linux.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay ive poked around a bit. For the solder points some tutorials mention 2 or three points. I dont have to worry about the wire (i dont have a sharp tsop i dont think) Ive seen some tutorials say the 3rd solder point is useless. Now given the state of the internet these days i dont know who to trust... Any tips?
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Just to weigh in about soldering - my soldering skills are terrible so I use conductive paint. It's about 3usd off eBay in a sryinge and you can use a toothpick to apply. What's handy is if you're clumsy applying it you can just wipe of and reapply
asbo

Post by asbo »

This is correct :)
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay... THIS couldnt have been harder... I have a v 1.1 xbox with the solder points on the bottom.... AND i have a sharp TSOP. Well,,, gonna take a shot at it right now. Which bios should i use that has UnleashX and/or GentooX Bootloader?
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

well this is just perfect... i just found out i have to go to BED AT FLIPPING TEN (in 30 minutes) Darn parents sometimes ill tell ya....
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay heres what im planning on doing.

Bios: Cromwell v2.40

Soldering Tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop-images.php

TSOP Flashing Tool: http://theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/to ... bles-edit/

Xbox: Motherboard Rev. 1.1

TSOP Chip: Sharp 1MB

Does this all sound right?
blighty

Post by blighty »

not sure why you would want to use cromwell?

I'd be looking at either evox, ind-bios or something if i was you, ;)
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay heres why im using cromwell. First off, i prefer UnleashX over EvoX. Second off i wanted the x2 4981 but couldnt connect to Xbins FTP server or find it anywhere else. Third off Cromwell has a GentooX bootloader. I can use it to load Linux or any Dashboard of choice. Fourth off, people say its a stable bios (ive heard complaints for IND bios for my Motherboard Rev.)
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay this is weird. I put the HeXEn disc in and launch it from UnleashX. I get a red ring on the front of the xbox. I take out the disc, the hexen menus load and i can go through them...
Am i doing something wrong or is that normal???
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

TheGeekoid wrote:Am i doing something wrong or is that normal???
Turns out it loaded just fine. I just was impatient and thought a red ring meant something went wrong. The Hexen Disc works just fine and boots up properly.
TheGeekoid

Post by TheGeekoid »

Okay where do i put the BIOS so HeXEn can see it. Idk if its seeing the bios or not. It red rings when it boots Pheonix Bios Loader then goes to the HeXEn Menu, with a red ring still. Is it normal or did i screw something up?
tim619

Post by tim619 »

As far as I remember chromwell was a bios written using free code that not uses ms code (this means your Xbox will only boot into a flash menu you can't play games as long as you don't flash another bios using chromwell) .
Because of this modchip seller could flash it legally on their chips but if the user starts the xbox he had to flash some illegal one.

Your choice would be to use Evox M8 Plus or Xecuter x2 (5035 or 4981). For both bioses there are tools to edit the bioses how you like unless for x2 it works only until 4981.
There is also another bios called ind-bios but people reported audio errors when using this in combination with xbmc...

Note: For flashing 1.1 tsop you would need to load the bios (NOT 1.6 !!) in the config tool and export as 1MB bios.