Flashing green light

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Miguel_Jt

Flashing green light

Post by Miguel_Jt »

Hi there guys. I have a problem if my xbox, i put a game on it but it does not read, it flashes a green light for about 20seconds and then stops and appears a message saying that xbox cant read the cd because it could be damaged and other stuff. What can this be?
mrmajikbus45

Re: Flashing green light

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Open the xbox, clean the laser with alcohol and a Q-tip. Try the disc again.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

Im gonna try that, thanks
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

Well, i've tried to clean the lens, but it didn't work. Any other solution people?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi , are you using a backup disc or a retail one ? Retail should be OK as long as the disc is not scratched up however a backup is a different matter .
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

hawsey wrote:Hi , are you using a backup disc or a retail one ? Retail should be OK as long as the disc is not scratched up however a backup is a different matter .
it's an original disc
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just the one ? If you have another xbox you can always swap drives to fault it but it sounds like the drive is gone , is the Xbox modded ? If it is try burning something like Heimdalls engineering disc or a slayers just to see if it will boot that .
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

The xbox is not modded. The xbox was working a few days ago, but then started giving some problems with the cd tray (got stuck), so i opened it to try to solve the problem, and now she doesn't read the cd's. I put a disc on it, the xbox starts spinning but then appears a message saying that the disc may be damaged and other stuff
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Maybe its just not sitting right in the drive , i am not sure on drive fixes .
any ideas anyone else ?
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

hawsey wrote:Maybe its just not sitting right in the drive , i am not sure on drive fixes .
any ideas anyone else ?
i dont think thats the problem, i disassembled it and it seems ok. I think that is on the right place, but im not an expert therefore, all the help is needed
servox

Post by servox »

Well if the lens top is cleaned . i guess you can try the mirror underneath the lens. just gently blow at/ around it don't touch or move it
if that don't work look at the potentiometer beside the flat white wire/ ribbon cable. where the lens is plugged in at on the lens assemble it's self.

there should be a adjuster that looks like a plus sign. it think if you slightly turn it to the left it may help. and by slightly i mean a hair is to much.

google the spec's on that to be sure. if none of that works then its dead man.
I think I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little.
dan.h

Post by dan.h »

Yeah as servox says, when Xbox scene was active I had seen quite a few mentions of pot adjustment. Not sure if this guide helps: http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thom ... ometer.htm
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

servox wrote:Well if the lens top is cleaned . i guess you can try the mirror underneath the lens. just gently blow at/ around it don't touch or move it
if that don't work look at the potentiometer beside the flat white wire/ ribbon cable. where the lens is plugged in at on the lens assemble it's self.

there should be a adjuster that looks like a plus sign. it think if you slightly turn it to the left it may help. and by slightly i mean a hair is to much.

google the spec's on that to be sure. if none of that works then its dead man.
ok i'm gonna try that
Spongy

Post by Spongy »

Tweaking the potentiometer can be fun if you like to tinker.

If you just want your xbox working again. Go to ebay and search for "xbox laser lens replacement". You can get them for $5.00.

Make sure you get the right one, for the original xbox, for your drive model etc.. Also make sure you desolder the anti-static point before installation. Solder 2 wires, takes 5 minutes to install and I've only had one out of dozens fail within a few years.
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

Guys, Wich is the standard value of the lens capacity?
servox

Post by servox »

not exactly sure what you mean but if you talking about the pot adjust. it starts around 1500 or a little more from the manufacture and not recommended to adjust below 800. but i would still do it little by little. as this might help keep it going. if you hit this situation again.

I was hoping that you weren't talking about the eye's light gathering ability.(Len's capacity)
Miguel_Jt

Post by Miguel_Jt »

servox wrote:not exactly sure what you mean but if you talking about the pot adjust. it starts around 1500 or a little more from the manufacture and not recommended to adjust below 800. but i would still do it little by little. as this might help keep it going. if you hit this situation again.

I was hoping that you weren't talking about the eye's light gathering ability.(Len's capacity)
thanks, that was exactly what i wanted to know, the pot adjust.
servox

Post by servox »

Yep I'm here to help if i can. :)