Flashing Orange Light (Solved)

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
mrmajikbus45

Flashing Orange Light (Solved)

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Gentlemen, I have an xbox that I softmodded without a single issue. Unhooked it, and gave it to the guy. 2 days later, he calls me and says the xbox keeps shutting off and kicking up a flashing orange light. Since I opened the case before I modded to clean out the dust, I thought that maybe I forgotten to plug in the fan.

I opened the case, both fans were plugged in (1.0). So I figured I'd change the thermal paste. Still doesn't fix it. The exact trouble is that when I turn on the xbox, I get about 10 seconds. It loads XBMC fine. It will then flash the orange ring, and crank the fans up to full like it's overheating. It was doing this before I did the thermal paste swap (I used Arctic Silver 5). I can't see any burned out traces or solder splash either. A little help?
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Mon May 19, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
spicemuseum

Re: Flashing Orange Light

Post by spicemuseum »

This page is over at XBOX HQ:
http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutori ... rrorcodes5

Repeated below in case that web site goes off-line...

Xbox Error Light Meanings
Published by Twisted.Penguin on 2005-06-16
Category: XBOX | Page Views: 77,049

Written by: Twisted.Penguin
Introduction
Error lights can be cryptic, and little documentation is available on the reason these errors occur. When an Error light flashes, it means there is a problem with the motherboard said for the Orange/Green flashing which is due to the audio/video pack. Some error lights can be fixed by installing a Modchip, or replacing the eeprom, other times a new motherboard is needed.
Table of Contents

1.Green/Red Flashing
2.Solid Green with no audio/video/eject
3.Solid Green with no audio/video
4.Orange/Green Flashing
5.Orange Flashing
6.Orange/Red Flashing
7.Green or Green then red flashing
8.Solid red
9.Green Flashing

1.Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.
2.Solid Green with no audio/video/eject
Problem: The unit will not show/give any audio, video, and will not eject the DVD drive. Nine out of ten Xbox’s with this problem usually have a problem with the system bios.

Fix: Usually installing a Modchip, and booting a hacked bios will fix this problem. If this error came about after installing a Modchip, check to see if all the solder connections are good. If so, try removing the Modchip to see if the Xbox boots alright off of the system bios (TSOP). If the problem only occurs when the chip is connected and the solder points are good, then it is possible the bios on the Modchip is bad. Some people have reported that their system was fine until they installed a Modchip and then received this error. After removing the chip, the error persisted. This could be due to a solder bridge on or around the LPC port, or D0 point. If this is the case, desolder the bridge and see if this changes the error.
3.Solid Green with no Audio/Video
Problem: The unit will not give any audio and video but will let you eject the DVD drive. It could be caused by a bad high definition pack, or disconnected a/v cables.

Fix: Check to see if the A/V cables are properly plugged in and the television is set to the appropriate channel. If you are using a high definition A/V pack, try using a standard A/V pack.
4.Orange/Green flashing
Problem: This is caused when the A/V pack is not connect or is broken.

Fix: Check to see if the pack is connected. If so then replace the pack with another. If this still doesn’t fix the problem, it may be possible the traces from the A/V connector to the IC are cut or damaged.
5.Orange flashing
Problem: If there was a mod installed then it is most likely due to a solder splash, solder bridge, or a broken trace.

Fix: Search around to see if you can find a solder splash, solder bridge or cut trace. If you find either of the solder problems desolder them.
6. Orange/Red flashing
Fix: Flashing Orange and Red (red and orange) usually means you have a lifted trace under the lpc pinheader(the reset signal for pin5) - especially on v1.0 motherboards.

Fixing red/orange tutorial:
http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-174.html
According to xboxrepairguide, flashing red/orange error lights can also mean memory failure, but i would try this first. You do not have to remove the pinheader; you can simply make both connections on the bottom side of the mobo to repair this and hopefully it will work for you.
8. Solid Red
Problem: More then likely your system has overheated. If you continue to receive this error after letting your console cool down for several hours you may have had a hardware failure.
9.Green Flashing
Problem: Bad EPROM image
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

That sounds like a default Kingroach 11.04NKP mod. It changes the LED to orange and runs the fan at 90%. The way to fix it is to edit the src for 11.04 compile and replace the xbe, or do it from the dashboard (UnleashX anyways and go into settings and manually define fan speed and LED). Based on what youve stated Id be amazed if its a separate issue
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

SPPV wrote:That sounds like a default Kingroach 11.04NKP mod. It changes the LED to orange and runs the fan at 90%.
Are you sure? From this description it doesn't sound like that to me...
"...It loads XBMC fine. It will then flash the orange ring, and crank the fans up to full..."
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I think that is over temp is your heat sink connected properly and fitted with heat transfer paste?
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I should revisit topics I make. Dealt with it last week on the Teamspeak, and didn't think about posting here. lol.

Let me review the comments. No, it is not a kingroach mod. Also, PJ, I said that I changed the paste AFTER that was already happening in paragraph 2 of my OP.

The solution? The coil on the power supply was getting up to 204 Fahrenheit in 7 seconds. It was getting that hot because whatever dumbass put that toothpaste looking stuff to protect the motherboard on, dripped a glob on it, and I think that over time the heat cycling caused it to mold around and choke it off. Yep, 7 second on/off window.

While I had the board out, I found 2 broken traces on the mobo as well, so that gave me some preventative maintenance anyway. She works right now.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
SPPV

Post by SPPV »

spicemuseum wrote:
SPPV wrote:That sounds like a default Kingroach 11.04NKP mod. It changes the LED to orange and runs the fan at 90%.
Are you sure? From this description it doesn't sound like that to me...
"...It loads XBMC fine. It will then flash the orange ring, and crank the fans up to full..."
It was a common issue with Kingroach NDure Installer to go hog wild on dash screen, and Ive done xtensive work with Kingroachs edit of the NKP11.04u src. Im not and as stated above by the OP saying this "IS" the issue just that it fits the bill. Im sure youre attune enough to know I was the man who approved the list from HQ you posted, I didnt fall off the turnip truck last night LMAO. I can accept the fact my advice was wrong, but to ask are you sure in a world that sure sure equals pink flying elephants is out (just ask Buzz the XBOX is FUC$ED lol)
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

...and you're arguing why? I said it had nothing to do with Kingroach or anything. Was a hardware issue.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

I'm confused.