-XBOX Error Codes-

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Nextelhalo

-XBOX Error Codes-

Post by Nextelhalo »

I sure hope this helps someone. Credit goes to deezp1 at the Afterdawn forums for this.

Quote:
OK, I have seen many times people ask about error codes and have to wait for someone to tell them what it means. To make everyone's life easier (Mods, Members, and n00bs), I am going to post a listing of all of the error codes with some explaination of what they mean and how to fix them. I hope this thread will help everyone with there Xbox error problems.

Also, I dont want to take credit for compiling the information (but I will take credit posting it!). I have to credit OCnewB and Superfro of the Xbox-Scene forums. He is the one who orignally compiled all the information, I just put it here on our forum, but I did clean it up a little, added some imput, and kept only the most recent updated fixes(the original had a lot of fixes that were out of date).

So with all that being said, Behold:

XBOX ERROR CODES EXPLAINED

For those of you that don't know or are not sure if or when you have seen an error, you will see an error during the normal boot up sequence. Instead of your booting the M$ dashboard or Hacked Dashboard (Evox, UnleashX, Avalaunch, etc.), there will be an message on the screen that says, "Your Xbox Requires Service" and you will see a number on the upper left hand corner of the screen <- this is your error code number. The error codes are listed below

Beware, you wont see the bootldr error's because (thanks to: Lordvader129) : "when you see this" is not entirely accurate, you never see the bootloader errors, as they are one that cause the reboot/FRAGs

2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed

When you see this error most of the times you have flashed something wrong. Or you dropped solder on your eeprom chips.

4 - bootldr - Ram check failed

Your Xbox ram chips are wasted.
Maybe you dropped a little solder on it (try to remove it CAREFULLY!). Note, if they are fried, removing solder won't fix them). Maybe you were static when you touched the ram chips. They are kind off sensitive. If they are, they are fried, sell your xbox for spare parts.

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hd to be locked)

When you upgrade your hard disk drive for one that is larger, you most of the times use a new hard drive that you bought in the shop. Now, when you put this hdd in your xbox and you try to boot up with your chip off. It gives you error 5. Why you ask? Well i will try to explain it simple.

The original (also called "Retail") hard drive is locked by MS. Why did they lock the harddrive?

Well if it wasn't it wouldve been more than easy (in the start of xbox hacking)
for hackers to change content on it. Thats why MS locks it. It is just a security measure.

This locking proces uses information thats on the motherboard. The "Lock" on a xbox hard drive contains information that is based on the harddrive itself and the motherboard it came with.

One thing that makes this clear: You can not change a retail harddrive with another one from an other not modded xbox. With every xbox there is only ONE i repeat ONE compatible harddisk drive. That is, if they are locked.

If you don't mod your xbox (tsop or modchips) you can not change harddrives. Not even from another xbox. However when your xbox IS modified you can change your harddisk for almost every other harddisk (thats UNLOCKED). This means that even when your xbox is modified, you can not just put another (retail) XBOX harddisk in your xbox. However some smart people made programs that can lock or unlock your xbox harddisk on the fly.

So when does the error occur? The only time this error should occur is when you boot up your xbox in original mode AND you have a harddisk in your xbox that is not yet locked. So now you ask what do i have to do to make your xbox work again?

Well the answer is pretty easy. Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
When it is "Done" just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot in original mode. Now there should be no more error 5.

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

If you understand the above, you should be able to understand what this means. It means you are trying to boot up the xbox with an harddisk that is locked in combination with ANOTHER motherboard than you are using it with right now.

What can i do about it, you ask? Well place the harddisk back in the xbox where it came from. After that, UNLOCK the harddisk with the same procedure i explained above (see error 5). Now when the harddisk is UNLOCKED, put it in the xbox which gave you the error. Now when you boot up with the chip ON it should not give you an error anymore.

However when you put the xbox on with the chip OFF your xbox will give you an error. (error 5) So to make sure you can boot original and boot with the chip ON. Next do the same as above: "Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferrably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
When it is ready just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot original. Now there should be no more error.

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, good luck and sell your xbox to me rolleyes.gif

8 - kernel - No HDD found

Please make sure your xbox hdd is attached properly. Most of the times the Ide cable came loose, or isn't seated properly in the IDE port of your harddisk. ALso make sure the power supply cables are intact and working.

Make sure the ide cable is also connected properly to the rest of the hardware (dvd and motherboard).

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

Not very common error, please try another harddisk.

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

Actually its almost the same as error 6/7/8. But also make sure the yellow cables are properly connected to the motherboard and the dvd drive.

1. Make sure ide cables are connected good.
2. Make sure the yellow cables are good and properly connected.
3. Still no succes? Try another dvd drive of which you are sure it is working.

11 - kernel - No DVD Found

Same as #10 So read up please!

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

Same as #10, only not very common.

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

Same thing as above (error 13). This time it is also a little mistake from you on changing names or having played around with files on the xbox harddisk. Error 14 is most often because you changed boot orders or names of startup files on the harddisk. It can also happen when you are rebuilding your xbox harddisk with a slayer cd and the power was cut.

16 - dashboard - Clock cannot be set.

Basically it comes down to this. Error 16 has to do with not finding the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. This happens to a lot of people that erase their hdd (original/upgraded) or MS dashboard files and after that they don't immediatly install the hdd but leave the xbox without power longer than 5 hours.

It's all about the hdd can't find the menu with which it can set the clock. This is mostly because the xbox hdd is empty (you removed dashboard or fux0red it via ftp). The problem arises when xbox searches for menu to set clock with, can't find it and voila: error 16. Well read on please!

So you have an error 16 huh? Don't worry "nothing" is broken!

You have an xbox hdd that is locked. And normally you can boot in original and modded mode. Retail or upgraded doesn't matter. You start playing around with xboxdash.xbe etc. using ftp programs. While doing this you "accidently" remove your MS dashboard and also your alternate dashboard (Evox, etc.) so there is no dash anymore on the xbox hdd.

You end the ftp session and after that you shut off your xbox. Normally when you would start up again it gives you an error 13/14 ( no dashboard found). No worries with a slayer Evox cd (and a hardmod), all is ok. BUT this is only WITHIN 3 hours or so.

This is because the internal clock of the xbox will only be kept alive by the capacitors for only 3 or 4 hours. So when you leave your xbox unplugged from electricity for over 5 hours after you have played with the .xbe's AND you have removed your (ms and evo-x) dash from your xbox than you are fux0red. Why do you ask?

Why can't I boot from disc?

Its as follows Xbox starts booting==> (almost 1st thing a xbox does is) searches for internal clock==> doesnt find internal clock because there hasn't been any electricity on the xbox for 5 hours so battery that kept clock alive is empty and clock is gone==> searches for the proper dashboard menu to set clock with ==> doesnt find msdashboard or evo-x dashboard menu becuz you have removed it from the hdd for whatever reasons you had==> xbox gives error 16: cannot set clock.

So what do you do about it? Two options!

1. There are some bios'es around that allow the chip to boot past the clocksetting. (do a search!). So how do you get that bios on your chip because you cant boot to a flash program or something? Well you need to have an external flasher.

It seems the m8 bios will take care for you of booting past the clocksetting. Or use the latest Xecutor bios

2. This is the more easy and newbie friendly strategy
-Get a friend with a modded xbox.
-Unlock his hdd with eeprom management from a slayer evo-x cd.
-Than, place his hdd in your xbox.
-Boot with your chip on.
-Now the xbox DOES find a dashboard when you boot in original mode and you can set the time in the msdashboard clock settings.
-Shut off xbox and remove your friends hdd
-PLace his hdd back in his xbox and lock it again
-Install your hdd
-(clock has been set) So boot up with slayer cd.
-Install normally whatever you wanna install
-lock hdd

If you get an error 13 after this, please read up on the error 13 explanation!

20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed

It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it
(for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication

21 - anywhere -

This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

This occurs frequently when the xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (ie Gcue true blue hasnt been resigned, parts of the stock dash are missing - incomplete FTP backups copied to a new HDD for example).
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Irwin

Re: -XBOX Error Codes-

Post by Irwin »

Thanks! i solved my problem
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

I have softmodded box, with a larger hard drive, everything backed up, and an xboxhdm iso as well, should i return my xbox's original HD back to stock state, so that the ms dash is on it for clock setting, just in case?
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

I was messing about with x2 configs, and restarted after i ftp'd one. It then gave me an E13, except half the screen was fucked. So i happily pressed the power button and restarted. worked. Resarted. hung at live loading, restarted no chip, e07, looked and felt all cables, no loose, restarted, worked. What the shit?
Kozz

Post by Kozz »

That's a strange one ghostly, tell us a little more about the xbox, version modchip bios your using and anything else we should know about it, Like did you purchase it from a guy named Elroy out of his trunk in a secluded parking lot ?

Maybe you got burned and its a cloned mobo ?

P.S, - Watch your damned mouth this is a public forum :roll:
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Elroy? :lol: I snorted when i read that!!
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
Nolan

Post by Nolan »

This is copy-paste work from another forum.. :shock:
Xbox Original YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/MS4XBox

Daily Xbox Original Videos!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Nolan wrote:This is copy-paste work from another forum.. :shock:
:roll:

Yes, and the problem is that many old xbox forums / sites go offline, and take useful info with them, hence it was replicated here. WITH FULL CREDIT!
I sure hope this helps someone. Credit goes to deezp1 at the Afterdawn forums for this.
trogggy

Post by trogggy »

Nolan wrote:This is copy-paste work from another forum.. :shock:
Credit goes to deezp1 at the Afterdawn forums for this.
I guess that proves you can read. :lol:
Starscream66

Post by Starscream66 »

Hey guys. Not new to the mod scene but I'm an had upgrade newbie. So I have 4 xboxes 3 soft mod(2 v1.6 and 1 v1.1) and a v1.0 with Duox2 running X2 4980 bios on bank one and Evox m8 fc on bank two. I flashed the m8 fc because it is the only bios slayers 2.7 has for 1.0 with f and g parted. So I full format. Then full install for lare hdd. I boot up slayers Evox dash no problem. But none of the apps load. No unleash x or xbmc or chimp. I also hate the Evox dash so I try to change boot dash to xbmc on large had and I get error 13 and 21 randomly? Where am I going wrong here. I have serous put almost 50 hrs into this shirt. I am using a 1tb seagate st1000dm003 had and a sabrent ide adapter. I even have a salvaged power unit for hots Wappingers or to make sure it's not spinning up to slow. Any help is much appreciated
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Hey guys, I've seen this same post from Afterdawn pop up for years now. It's the top result on google for anyone looking for OG Xbox error codes and it could be better. The post has broken Bbcode, spelling/grammatical errors, assumes you're using Slayer/modchips, etc. It's super old now. Can we try to update it? I've rewritten it but I'm sure I've missed a few points. Veterans, please skin through and reply with corrections.
-----------------------

SATA Adapter Important Note
If your Xbox is on the error screen and you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, read the following to save yourself wasted effort. If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter for your hard drive, make sure you're using an 80-wire IDE cable. The Xbox comes with a 40-wire IDE cable so you will need to acquire an 80-wire IDE cable and install it in place of the stock cable for your hard drive to work. This isn't always the case but it is common after changing to a SATA drive.
Left: 40-wire cable | Right: 80-wire cable

Error Codes Explanation
Listed here you will find a list of all known error codes that the original Xbox will display along with a brief explanation of what causes the error and typical solutions on how to resolve them. These error codes appear when the Xbox experiences problems during its boot sequence and cannot continue to start. When this happens, an error code will be displayed in the upper left of the screen along with green text over a black background saying "Your Xbox requires service. Please call customer support" in various languages.

Error Code 02
Problem: EEPROM check failed. This error is triggered by the bootloader and as a result does not display an error code on screen. You will see the Xbox rebooting and flashing red and green lights (FRAG).
Cause/Solution: You flashed something wrong or caused a short somewhere on your motherboard (possibly while soldering). If you're using a modchip and you just flashed it, try again using a different BIOS. If you recently did some soldering to your Xbox, check for any stray solder balls that may be present and carefully remove them.

Error Code 04
Problem: RAM check failed. This error is triggered by the bootloader and as a result does not display an error code on screen. You will see the Xbox rebooting and flashing red and green lights (FRAG).
Cause/Solution: RAM chip failure. This could be from pins on the RAM chip(s) becoming bridged, possibly from an accidental splash of solder or a failed 128MB RAM upgrade. Remember, electrostatic shock can sometimes damage integrated circuit chips like RAM chips, so even if you can't see a problem, the RAM could still be fried. Replacing the RAM chips could be a solution but is risky and time consuming.

Error Code 05
Problem: Hard disk drive (HDD) not locked.
Cause/Solution: If you have not replaced your Xbox's BIOS via a modchip/TSOP flash, then your HDD needs to be locked using a special password that is generated based on your Xbox's EEPROM, which is unique per each individual Xbox. Microsoft designed it this way to prevent people from being able to plug the drive into a computer and have access to its contents and thus hacking it. Virtually all non-retail BIOSes (including modchip/TSOP) will not require the hard drive to be locked in order to start. If you're seeing this error on a non-retail BIOS, then chances are your modchip/TSOP flash process had issues and for some reason you are now using a stock BIOS which is now requiring a password-locked hard drive again. If you're seeing this error and your Xbox has been softmodded (through gamesave/font/audio expoits), then you just need to lock your drive again. Hopefully you have your EEPROM backed up at this point because if not, things get a lot more complicated. If you unlocked your HDD on the Xbox itself (using ConfigMagic for example), chances are the app you used made a backup of your EEPROM for you and it's now sitting on your E:\ drive called "eeprom.bin" or something similar. You can plug the HDD into a computer at this point and use an Xbox hard drive explorer program like "Xplorer360" (Windows only) to view its files to copy your EEPROM backup. There are multiple ways to lock a HDD, one of which is by using XboxHDM by author ldotsfan. XboxHDM runs on a PC and one of its features is the ability to lock hard drives if you have an EEPROM backup. Choose option "3" from XboxHDM and follow the on-screen instructions to lock the HDD.

Error Code 06
Problem: Incorrect hard drive password.
Cause/Solution: The hard disk drive (HDD) is locked but it is locked with a password that belongs to a different Xbox. You will need to unlock the HDD and then re-lock it using the correct password. As stated above, each Xbox is locked using a password that is generated based on each Xbox's unique EEPROM. Assuming you have the EEPROM of your Xbox backed up, you will just need to unlock the drive and re-lock it using your EEPROM backup. See the solution for error 05 for more info.

Error Code 07
Problem: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire. See the solution for code 08. Note: If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it's possible that the adapter you're using is not compatible with the drive you're using or isn't compatible with the Xbox at all. Try another SATA to IDE adapter / HDD combination. Some "green" drives are temperamental with certain SATA adapters.

Error Code 08
Problem: No hard drive found.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox can't find the hard disk drive (HDD) while booting up. Try the following:
  • Make sure the IDE ribbon cable (flat grey cable) is securely connected to the HDD, the DVD drive, AND the motherboard itself.
  • Check the IDE cable for signs of damage. If the cable looks like it has been scraped or has evidence of any damage then replace it.
  • Check the HDD's power cable and make sure it's securely plugged in.
  • If you can wiggle the HDD power cable around and make the Xbox work at certain times, then the leads coming from the power supply are loose and the power supply should be replaced.
  • Take the HDD out and make sure the jumper is set correctly. There should be a diagram printed on the drive's label that shows how the jumper should be connected. Make sure its set to Cable Select (CS), Master, or isn't present at all. If the drive is set to Slave then you will run into issues!
  • If all other cables are in fact securely connected and not damaged, you can try replacing the IDE cable any way. It's possible that it is damaged in a way that isn't visible and IDE cables are cheap to come by.
  • If all else fails, your hard drive is probably to blame and is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Error Code 09
Problem: Hard drive parameters are missing or incorrect.
Cause/Solution: Very uncommon error. The hard drive might be in the wrong transfer mode (PIO/DMA) or, if it's a debug console, the size isn't correct (minimum size is required for debug). Replace the hard drive.

Error Code 10
Problem: DVD drive timeout.
Cause/Solution: Similar to error codes 07 and 08, this is usually caused by a loose/faulty cable. The Xbox seems to know the DVD drive is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. Check the yellow DVD cable running from the motherboard to the DVD drive. If all else fails, replace the DVD drive.

Error Code 11
Problem: No DVD drive found.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox cannot find the DVD drive. Similar to error 10, this is usually from a loose/faulty cable. See solutions for error 10. Note: many non-retail BIOSes can configured to skip using a DVD drive entirely.

Error Code 12
Problem: DVD drive parameters are missing or incorrect.
Cause/Solution: Not very common. Try solutions for error 10.

Error Code 13
Problem: Dashboard failed to launch due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
Cause/Solution: This can be caused by a kernel version issue but is a lot less common in recent years. Make sure you're running the latest kernel. If you're using a softmod, make sure your dashboard and softmod files are installed correctly. You might have luck using SID5 as your softmod installer if you're using something else currently.

Error Code 14
Problem: Dashboard failed to launch (generic error).
Cause/Solution: Same as error 12 basically. This can also result from changing names of files or messing with files on the HDD without knowing the repercussions. A common cause is from changing the boot orders or names of startup files on the HDD. It can also happen when you are rebuilding your HDD with a Slayer CD and the power was cut.

Error Code 16
Problem: Internal clock cannot be set.
Cause/Solution: This happens when the Xbox tries to boot to the stock dashboard in order to have you set the current date/time but fails to load the menu. This happens people that erase their HDD or stock dashboard files and afterwards don't immediately install the HDD but instead leave the Xbox without power for longer than 5 hours. The Xbox has capacitors in it that allow it to keep its clock set but it only has enough charge for about 3-5 hours before the clock clears and it asks you to set it again. This used to be a more common problem before people figured out how to get around it in later years. Virtually all modern (made after 2005) softmods and non-retail BIOSes will account for the clock reset problem. To fix this, try putting the stock dashboard back on your HDD's C:\ partition. After the Xbox boots up and is able to set the clock successfully, then you can continue on. If you DON'T have an eeprom backup and can't access the hard drive from a PC to put the stock dashboard back on it, then you can do a hotswap to gain access to the drive and continue with copying the stock dashboard over. Once you fix the issue, update your BIOS or softmod to a more recent version to avoid this in the future.

Error Code 20
Problem: Dashboard failed to launch.
Cause/Solution: It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it needed to be noted that the DVD passed the challenge/response authentication during boot.

Error Code 21
Problem: Unspecific/generic error.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox was instructed (possibly by an XBE you launched) to reboot the Xbox and display this error. This occurs frequently when the Xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (i.e. an XBE hasn't been signed correctly OR parts of the stock dashboard (C:\) are missing. Also, if you're using XbeShortcutMaker and seeing this error code then you might try regenerating the shortcut XBE file as it could be corrupted.

Credit: OCnewB [Xbox-Scene forums] & Superfro [Xbox-Scene forums] for compiling the list. deezp1 [Afterdawn forums] for more compiling and organization. GoTeamScotch [xbmc4xbox forums] for clean-up.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
quicksilver384

Post by quicksilver384 »

Hi.

Firstly thankyou for the info on error codes it was very useful.

I do however have one question.

I recently bought 2 original Xboxes off ebay. One is modded but i have no idea which mod chip it is and the other is untouched (stock)

The stock one works perfectly so I DO NOT want to mod and possibly break it, however the modded one is giving me error 16. Is there any way for me to fix this??

I do not know anyone with an original xbox and as i say I do not want to open and break by working console.

I do have a pc's but none of them have IDE, however I do have a bidirectional IDE to SATA converter as I use an old IDE DVD burner.

Thanks

p.s. If it requires soldering then that is out of the question as I extremely shakey hands and therefor can not solder.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

quicksilver384 wrote:I recently bought 2 original Xboxes off ebay. One is modded but i have no idea which mod chip it is and the other is untouched (stock)

The stock one works perfectly so I DO NOT want to mod and possibly break it, however the modded one is giving me error 16. Is there any way for me to fix this?
Your first step should be to try an installer disc - Slayers, HeXEn, Rocky's etc...

HeXEn here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/99918039/HeXEn%200.99B11-22.rar Burn to DVD-R at speed x4 or slower.
quicksilver384

Post by quicksilver384 »

Greay thanks i will gove this ago next week.

Thankyou.
puckcowboy

Post by puckcowboy »

So I have an old modded / chipped Xbox from years ago, and I just recently powered on the unit for the first time in about 2 years or so.

The last time I used it, all was working fine, however after powering it up after two years, I received a screen that said something went wrong and it displays an error code of 09. There is also instructions from "superfro" to check the site to get a complete description. (I have attached a screen shot as well to this post.)

The opening animation works however. If it helps at all, I have 3 switches located under my power button, the first two are switched to the left, the last one is switched to the right. I think this is how they have been all along.

My first guess is that the hard drive has just gone bad after not being used for several years and I need to replace it. Does that sound right? If so, do I just need to buy a similarly sized hard drive and clone the old info to the new one, or is it much more involved than that?

I'm not interested in spending a lot of time to get this up and running, so I hope it's not too involved of a fix.

Not sure if anyone still reads this forum, but if so, any and all info anyone can provide would be truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Error Code
Error Code
JustBob

Post by JustBob »

Just wondering if someone can help me Im trying to switch hard drives I have read the above post but can someone explain in simple terms steps on how to unlock the hard drive and make it work in another xbox , I'm an old gamer had my original xbox modded and the ports gone bad from plugging and unplugging controllers. I'm not really tech savvy but not stupid. Thank you so much if someone answers I know these post are ancient.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

If your Xbox is not modded or a softmod then do not unlock the HDD. If you do the Xbox will throw an error code on next boot/reboot and without the eeprom (essentially a unique electronic key code) you will have difficulty getting it working again unless you chip the machine.

You can get the eeprom from the Xbox by other means but the simplest method is by backing it up once the Xbox is modded.

So before even thinking about swapping the HDD you do need to mod the Xbox.

That's your first step.
JustBob

Post by JustBob »

The original xbox was soft mod im trying to move the HD from the soft mod xbox to another stock xbox.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The two Xboxes have different eeproms so you can't just swap the HDD between the two.

Since the other Xbox you want to swap it to is in stock state you can not, easily, get the eeprom from that to lock the HDD to that Xbox. If you're electronically savvy you can build or buy an eeprom reader but that is a lot of hassle.

In short, just as I said, the easiest and therefore best solution is to softmod (or chip) the stock Xbox first.

Once done there are things you can do so the HDD will be transferable without unlocking/re-locking it to the other machine but that's something to think about afterwards.

BTW this a is a very old thread (2012 - 2017 before your first post) and it would be best if you started a new one if you need more help with this.
JustBob

Post by JustBob »

Thank you ! I appreciate you help I need easy I don't know that much about modding