Play PAL games on NTSC box?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
SquirlKiller

Play PAL games on NTSC box?

Post by SquirlKiller »

So i have a PAL copy of Max Payne, but it wont play. If i put it onto the HD, i press play and it just reboots into XBMC. I have tried burning it onto a DVD because that worked with one PAL game that wouldnt work for me, but it read the disc for about 1 minute and 1/2 and said it was empty. It was th same type of disc I used to burn 3 other games that worked perfectly, any advice on what to do? And its not my TV because it supports PAL video
VanZan

Re: Play PAL games on NTSC box?

Post by VanZan »

Going on my recent experiences I'd say you're screwed. Get onto eBay and purchase the NTSC version of Max Payne would be my advice.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

your laser might need a pot mod?

a pal game shuld work on a ntsc xbox no worries i do it all the time. you might have a bung game if you riped the iso on the pc it might not be patched correctly to work on the hdd.

have you tried running it with the white button run as pal ?
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

professor_jonny wrote:your laser might need a pot mod?
Unlikely. There isn't any difference between PAL and NTSC DVDs that would mean the Xbox would read one but not the other.

Try the white button as professor_jonny suggests, or rip from DVD to your hard drive with DVD2Xbox, which I believe patches most of the region restrictions on games.
VanZan

Post by VanZan »

Could I suggest something else? You say you have a PAL Max Payne and tried playing it off the HD of a NTSC xbox? If you used DVD2Xbox it would check your eeprom to see if it is a NTSC or PAL xbox and choose the ACL accordingly. What I'm saying is try switching the XBOX to PAL, rip it with DVD2Xbox then switch back to NTSC and it should play.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by white button?

VanZan: didnt work
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

Normal adjectival use - the button that is white.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

I still do not understand. Press the whitebutton on the controller? On XBMC or unleash? Then what?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

SquirlKiller wrote:I still do not understand. Press the whitebutton on the controller? On XBMC or unleash? Then what?
if you are in the program section of xbmc and change focus to the game you wish to play if you then press the white button it brings up a menu and you can select launch game in pal/ntsc it depends what your xbox is set to and if the option is set in the settings to allow you to do this.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

Did not work, tried all video standards. Im beginning to think that the iso is a bad one or it extracted wrong. (I even patched the ACL on it while in PAL mode) I guess im just gonna find another iso. Or just buy the NTSC version and be done with it.

Edit: All right so i'm re extracting the iso without letting the program auto-patch it. These are the steps I need to do right?
steps:
-FTP to xbox in games folder
-use "eeprom_off.bin" file to turn off virtual eeprom.bin
-reboot?
-Change video output to PAL (even though it automatically outputs to 480p and not 576i) with enigmah
-reboot?
-go to dvd2xbox and highlight the folder and select "Process ACL"
-Exit and change video back to NTSC
-go to XBMC and launch, trying the 4 different video modes

Correct?
VanZan

Post by VanZan »

Some of the steps there I'm not familiar with. What I do with iso files is I download C-Xbox tool and use that to patch and extract the iso. Then I ftp it over.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

I use cxbox as well and it automatcally patches it when it extracts the iso, but it doesnt work. I guess max payne doesnt work off HDD then oh well
Adult Swimmer

Post by Adult Swimmer »

Max Payne will work off of hard drive. Its not one of the games that has problems playing from hard drive. You must have a bad iso. Download it again or try another download location. Dvd2xbox usually works for ripping from disc to xbox hard drive and what dvd2xbox won't do complex tools (just like dvd2xbox) will!!! You just need to make sure complex tools is set to patch when it rips... also the first time you try to run the game hit the white button on the controller and lauch it as a Pal or NTSC........ Personally, I liked that game because of the bullet time effect. That was cool. I went through it on the PC as well as xbox. Good game!!
Always root for the team of the guy who supplied the keg!!!!!
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

So i got a hold of a PAL iso of Crash Nitro Kart and it did the same thing as Max Payne. So i have come to the conclusion that my xbox doesn't like PAL games (or DVDs that worked on previous box for that matter)