xbox ftp not working

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
subzero1970

xbox ftp not working

Post by subzero1970 »

I've set everything up as per YT tutorials - im on filezilla, i pop in the ip address etc etc and im greeted with - enetunreach error!!! im using a crossover cable connected to my pc
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: xbox ftp not working

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Try with a standard ethernet/CAT5 type cable rather than a cross-over. With modern PCs the cable type shouldn't matter, they detect the signals whatever wire they using but I've never been able to get my desktop PC to work direct with a cross-over or standard cable. My old laptop worked direct with a cross-over no problem but not with a standard cable. It was an old laptop.

Now I FTP always through my router with the desktop and DHCP which, ironically, I could never get that to work with the laptop.

Make sure that you have the Static/DHCP setting on the Xbox, whatever dash you're using, set correctly too. You do often need to reboot the Xbox once the PC is booted for it to be detected.

I'd recommend using the UnleashX dash with its default blue skin. That has the IP address info bottom right and if that is showing the default Xbox: 192.168.0.2 Static IP address or anything other than all zeros you know you're connected. If it is showing nothing then its a connection problem but if it showing the IP address then it is most likely either an Xbox or FileZilla settings thing.
subzero1970

Post by subzero1970 »

Yeh im using the unleashx dashboard, the ip address appears in the bottom corner, I've tried both a crossover cable and a standard ethernet cable, so im guessing it must be a filezilla problem, however I've also tried connecting with Qwix and had no luck there either.
subzero1970

Post by subzero1970 »

Well I now know why ftp isn't working! My ethernet port pins are all bent and a couple are ready to snap 😠😠😠😠
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

That is unfortunate and something I've always worried about not only Xboxes - physical damage to the ethernet port pins.

The solution I've used for some time was suggested on an AV forum years ago and was actually advice in regard to headphone sockets on TVs and audio players which often get a lot of use.

The recommendation was to use a permanent M > F attached extension cable to plug it into rather than the socket direct. If the extension cable or female socket is damaged or just worn its just a few £/$ to replace whereas replacing/repairing the main socket is far more trouble.

I applied the same idea to all my ethernet cable connected devices, like the Xbox, too.