dying HD and controller ports?

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
dan.h

dying HD and controller ports?

Post by dan.h »

Hi folks, before I post up a wanted ad in market place I thought I'd check for opinions on my xbox:

it's got the xblast mod chip and the xbox boots fine into that but when I choose a bios and try to load xbmc, it hangs for a good few seconds after the flubber animation (if I choose ind-bios 5003 which is looking for the .cfg file on HD, it never loads xbmc, but the pre-configured 256kb bios just about loads xbmc).

Also when I'm trying to play something like coinops and trying to load/save game state within game, the xbox shuts down instantly which makes me think its the HD. Do you think that's plausible?

Secondly, the player 2 controller is acting temperamental even when I switch control pads & leads. It's making me think it's something in the control port/wires inside that bolt off the xbox chassis. I've never seen this behaviour before but again, do you think likely?

Cheers
professor_jonny

Re: dying HD and controller ports?

Post by professor_jonny »

there is more than one fault there it might be a good idea to attack one at a time, but it sounds like you it could have a bad dvd drive/ hdd and it sounds like you may also have trace rot and likely have bad caps.
dan.h

Re: dying HD and controller ports?

Post by dan.h »

Hiya thanks for the reply. I took out the board and couldn't see where all the traces from the controller port connector were going to along the PCB.

I'd quite like to save the xbox as it's been upgraded to 128mb and has the xblast OS chip which I thought was brilliant. I'll post up in market place if anyone on UK could take a look at this and possibly repair it as it's way beyond my skill level. Cheers