OS and other xbox ports

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
sixties keith

OS and other xbox ports

Post by sixties keith »

ive been looking around the internet to find various different ports and os's for the xbox. i just want to know whats avaliable and how good it is. whats recommended and what works best.so........

I have found a number of linux ports currently i use a version xphazer sorts a while back thinks its a version of 0.7 xdsl but im not sure. i know there are a number of others but some require the ram upgrade -Debian, Gentoox, other Damn Small Linux versions and also found this - Dyne:bolic.

what interests me especially is the windows ports to the xbox but i cant find alot of info on it at all - i know that theres a version of windows 98 (lite i think it is) that can be run through linux but i also found out the possibly windows ce was about but this was only proof of concept. what about windows 2000 or windows me perhaps? i know windows 3x works lol i got it working thru a dosbox emulator :lol:

i did also find other ports i know nothing of, FreeBSD and NetBSD which have been done on the xbox as well as something called reactos?

anyways let me know what you use guys and anything else i might have missed. cheers

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
Albatross

Re: OS and other xbox ports

Post by Albatross »

Not tried it myself but there's an Amiga OS called "AmigaSYS"
Last edited by Albatross on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainsensation

Post by captainsensation »

i would love to get a version of ubuntu working on the xbox, any possibilities of that?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

I've only used various versions of XDSL and Windows 98(I think, maybe CE?). I cant find the windows stuff on my hard drive but I know it's floating around there somewhere.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Nextelhalo wrote:I've only used various versions of XDSL and Windows 98(I think, maybe CE?). I cant find the windows stuff on my hard drive but I know it's floating around there somewhere.
Only windows ce is native other versions windows os were via emulation either via linux or dosbox, the ce port was poor at best but it was proof of concept i think it does not have mouse or keyboard drivers or something like that.

amigasys is not really an os it is an emulator and workbench package designed to play os friendly games and apps, it does not do picasso96 emulation and netbsd socket emultion so no hd graphics and no internet functions :-(.
The xbox 360 emulator amiga360 by lantus does :-) and is very cool i use it all the time.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@professor_jonny

cheers for the info man that clears abit of stuff up. yea your right ce was just a proof of concept but the results looked ok. the keyboard wasn't supported but i think the mouse was there was just a problem with the mouse cursor being displayed.

Ive used the windows 98 image thru xdsl but the results were quite poor (the concept was great and it seemed to work better than expected) but without the 128mb upgrade i was getting results compared to a Pentium 1 desktop computer lol were there any other versions of windows that may be better? poss a port of windows 95 or something? (and does the 128mb ram upgrade do a lot for this?)

also tried windows 3x via dos-box but i don't think the emulators i have for it is too good and so far haven't been able to get it working :(

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
cifa

Post by cifa »

here you go folks:

ubuntu for the xbox here: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -xbox-usa/ (I never got it to work)

a build of win98 that I think I linked to you before - but here it is for others to go at: http://min.us/lb1e5BIcbOg1Re (I never got round to it)
professor_jonny

windows 3.11 would be usable with the 32 bit addon to make some win32x programs work would be your best bet would be of a usable speed.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@cifa

thanks man, i got ubuntu working but tbh it was poor and slow. the win 98 image you provided is good. slow but im looking into the 128mb ram upgrade for it (is this the best version? i know theres a few about)

its more info on all os's either native or thru emulation especially windows.

@professor_jonny

ive tried to get windows 3x to work thru dosbox but so far no joy thinks its down to my emulator tbh. im looking into the 128mb ram upgrade if that would help things? windows 3 no good to use?

professor_jonny

i have had windows 3.11 for workgroups running under an emulator make sure you have himem.sys and emm386 installed and dos=high,umb in the config files and it shuld work.
blighty

Post by blighty »

I've always used gentoox by shallax, there are some options to make it run faster by installing it natively but this means that the hdd can only be used for linux and not xbox games.

I have one xbox with 2 hdd's on a switch and a chip fitted again with a switch and tsop flashed the on board bios as well so it still does native linux and plays regular xbox titles and emulation etc..
professor_jonny

[quote="blighty"]there are some options to make it run faster by installing it natively but this means that the hdd can only be used for linux and not xbox games./[quote]

Yip a loopback file system has a hungry footprint as it has to emulate the file system in ram somewhat and can take a large proformance hit on a allready memory limited system.
2 Bunny

UPLOAD Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

cifa wrote:here you go folks:

ubuntu for the xbox here: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbo ... -xbox-usa/ (I never got it to work)

a build of win98 that I think I linked to you before - but here it is for others to go at: http://min.us/lb1e5BIcbOg1Re (I never got round to it)
I remember the Windows 98 image. I remember that after I downloaded it, I had to make a lot of changes to get it to do anything, so if anyone wants a working image of 98, I can upload that to MegaUpload or something...
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Megaupload was shut down over a year ago, where have you been hiding for the past year 2bunny :D
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Don't know but he's back with a vengeance :-)
captainsensation

Re: UPLOAD Reply

Post by captainsensation »

2 Bunny wrote:

I remember the Windows 98 image. I remember that after I downloaded it, I had to make a lot of changes to get it to do anything, so if anyone wants a working image of 98, I can upload that to MegaUpload or something...
i would like a working image of it please. Thanks
2 Bunny

JS Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

whufclee wrote:Megaupload was shut down over a year ago, where have you been hiding for the past year 2bunny :D
Haven't you heard? It's back at Mega.co.nz and better than ever if you ask me (except for how javascript heavy it is).
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Yeah I'm familiar with Mega.co.nz. It's a great service but it's a lot different to MegaUpload. Granted it's still Kim dotcom's little baby but the security measures make it near on impossible to use as a streaming service, however for uploading content it's amazing - 50gb for free is always nice :)
2 Bunny

MEGA Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

whufclee wrote:Yeah I'm familiar with Mega.co.nz. It's a great service but it's a lot different to MegaUpload. Granted it's still Kim dotcom's little baby but the security measures make it near on impossible to use as a streaming service, however for uploading content it's amazing - 50gb for free is always nice :)
Actually, there is now unofficial streaming available for the site. Perhaps someday this could even be reintroduced as a feature in IceFilm or [removed] and maybe even work with XBMC4XBOX. For now at least, it is a very fast general filehost with minimal restrictions and vast functionality on a free account. Upload and download speeds are lightning fast even though it is halfway around the world. My only complaint is that the site is very "heavy" as far as scripts and HTML5 go, which will prove to make things tough for people trying to access the site on lower spec computers. Mine does just fine, but if you need to get files really quick to an older computer, it may end up being an exercise in patience.
captainsensation wrote:
2 Bunny wrote:

i would like a working image of it please. Thanks
Here's a shiny new MegaUpload link (I had this uploaded somewhere back before the domain crashed, but I can't remember where that was anymore):

https://mega.co.nz/#!MlgW2RjZ!AeyUgHqJX ... 9HqMn6bbqo

Basically, you have to run the normal DVD installer beforehand, erase the "Win98.img" that it places on the root of your E drive, then place the "Win98.img" that you got from my upload in place of the old one, boot up the same as before (not using a loopback install of XDSL), and *poof*, you're in a slow but Workable emulated Windows 98. It actually only runs a little more slowly than XDSL in general (but there's only so much you can do with how much ram you have to work with).
NOTTHESAME

Post by NOTTHESAME »

http://xbox-linux.cvs.sourceforge.net/v ... nvtv-xbox/ does anyone know to get this to run