Original XBox hardmod but won’t open

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
Ballhog

Original XBox hardmod but won’t open

Post by Ballhog »

Help!! I have an original Xbox that has been modified. It has the unleash X Xbox launcher, XBMC, SID 4 Installer and SID 4 splinter Cell NTSC. I use to be able to get right into the games and now when the Xbox boots up it goes directly to the screen where it lets me choose from memory, music, Xbox live or settings. I have no clue how to get to the games. I have not played this Xbox in probably 8 years. Kids happened and now I want to play some of these old games with my kids and cannot access anything. I do have the 5960 system. Again not a computer genius at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Original XBox hardmod but won’t open

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

What you're seeing sounds like the normal MS dash and that indicates the chip is not working or, for some reason, you've lost your main dash.

How are you starting the Xbox?

It could just be that it is set up to dual boot and you're using the larger eject button (which boots the MS dash) rather than the smaller power button underneath which launches the main, modded dash. That's the first thing to try.

I'm no expert on chips but I believe some have an option for booting into what amounts to a recovery menu by holding down the power button for a certain time. So that's a second thing to try.

If the chip is working you should be able to cold boot an installer/recovery disc. If you do not have an AID or HeXEn disc already find a download and burn it to DVD-R with Imgburn and see if that works.
Ballhog

Post by Ballhog »

Coldly-Indifferent,

Yes it is opening up to the MS Dash.

I am using the smaller power button to boot up the xbox. I will try and hold the boot button for several seconds to see if this helps at all.

I do show in the memory section that everything is their on the hard drive but I just cannot access it. If holding the boot button does not work then I will try the installer/recovery disc like you suggested.

Thank you for you help.
Ballhog

Post by Ballhog »

Problem has been resolved.
Thanks to Coldly-Indifferent.
I was able to hold the power button for a few seconds and this worked.
Again thank you for the support.