RGB CRT vs Component LCD

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
ced64k

RGB CRT vs Component LCD

Post by ced64k »

Hi,

I have an Xbox since a few weeks (thanks to the flea market :) ). The console is connected to a 21" CRT TV with the standard composite cable.

Now it's time to buy a better cable. 2 solutions :

- Keep the CRT TV and buy a RGB cable
- Connect the console to a 40" LCD TV with a component cable

Which solution is better to plays Xbox games and Coinops ?
Geeba

Re: RGB CRT vs Component LCD

Post by Geeba »

40" LCD - component cable and 720p
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Totally agree with geeba, for picture quality 720p over component is a no brainer. However if its just for gaming and you use a lightgun all the Xbox guns only work on CRT TVs as far as I'm aware, it may be possible to do some sort of hack with a topgun that's lcd compatible but never looked into it.
ced64k

Post by ced64k »

Ok thanks for the replies :) It's just because I don't see a lot of difference when I connect my Wii in RGB or component to the LCD TV, and it looks better on my CRT TV. Maybe the Xbox is different :)
I see that 720p is available in very few Xbox games. But for the emulators, there is a difference ? For example the Nintendo 64 emulator can output at 720p ?

Off topic : Today I received 2 female usb to xbox cable, now I can play with my custom arcade sticks (MC Cthulhu + Sanwa) yeahhhh :mrgreen:
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The wii is only marginally better quality over Component, I don't think it actually outputs at 720p either. It's been a while since I've even switched on my wii but I know you have to go into the settings and change the output to make the most out of your cables but fairly sure it doesn't go as high as 720p. The xbox has far superior video hardware to the wii so you'll notice a massive difference but make sure you have it set to NTSC output or else you won't be able to select the 720p option in the settings.

You might well find you're using your xbox a lot more as a media center opposed to just gaming once you've hooked it up to component cables - 720p output when watching video is a really good quality. Ok it's not FULL HD but there's not a massive difference between the two (especially when you compare 1080p to Composite :D).

As for the gaming at 720p, yes you're correct about the N64 games - a lot of them look pretty damn fine at 720p. Xbox games... Can't really help you on that one - as yet I've not found one that natively plays at 720p but then again I rarely play any xbox games.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Wii only does 576i at best but 480P is a vast improvement over stock.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
tacitus

Post by tacitus »

XBMC and most emulators looks stunning in 720p, for Xbox games it depends. Some games look good and others get a lot of motion blur on a LCD TV.
For old games RGB cables and a good old CRT is perfect.
Get both cables and try them out if you have the funds.
Kinstinct2

Post by Kinstinct2 »

whufclee wrote:The wii is only marginally better quality over Component, I don't think it actually outputs at 720p either. It's been a while since I've even switched on my wii but I know you have to go into the settings and change the output to make the most out of your cables but fairly sure it doesn't go as high as 720p. The xbox has far superior video hardware to the wii so you'll notice a massive difference but make sure you have it set to NTSC output or else you won't be able to select the 720p option in the settings.

You might well find you're using your xbox a lot more as a media center opposed to just gaming once you've hooked it up to component cables - 720p output when watching video is a really good quality. Ok it's not FULL HD but there's not a massive difference between the two (especially when you compare 1080p to Composite :D).

As for the gaming at 720p, yes you're correct about the N64 games - a lot of them look pretty damn fine at 720p. Xbox games... Can't really help you on that one - as yet I've not found one that natively plays at 720p but then again I rarely play any xbox games.
Sorry to bump but it ay be useful for others in time

games that are 16:9 and or 480p-1080i

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support
or

Code: Select all

http://hdgames.net/
for more info on sound/multi-player modes
Redneck9

Post by Redneck9 »

If you have have xbmc4xbox 3.1 w/slik skin, you can play dvd's in 1080i @ 24,25 and 30fps without crashing.

3.2 and up won't upscale 30fps content to 1080i.

see topic* http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... p?f=4&t=37

I use 3.3 beta for internet/network streaming(720p) and 3.1 for dvds(1080i)
2 Bunny

BEST Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

Component cables and a good CRT display are best if you have the space for one.
yadster

Post by yadster »

Component. The difference is stunning. You'll never go back to scart :D