XBOX INFINITY

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
xman

XBOX INFINITY

Post by xman »

THE new Microsoft Xbox which will be unveiled next week not only opens up a new front in the battle of the games consoles but also launches a whole new war.
It’s not just the games consoles who are going head to head while trying to hold off the rise of the app games.
Microsoft’s new Xbox is being called a first strike against Apple in campaign for the next generation of TV.
Microsoft has kept its cards close to its chest in the lead up to the unveiling of the new Xbox, on Wednesday morning AEST, which is expected to be called the Xbox Infinity.
But that hasn’t stopped gaming writers from predicting what is to come.
Paul Tassi, a gaming writer for Forbes, sees this as a fork in the road between the Sony PlayStation 4 and the Xbox.
"Sony is going to have a laserlike focus on games this time around, while Microsoft wants to create a device that everyone, gamers and non-gamers alike, will want to have in their living rooms," Tassi recently wrote.
The Microsoft Xbox 360 is already an “entertainment” unit, providing music, movies and Foxtel, ABC and SBC content, but many expect the new system to take that even further.
Other leaks predict a new system of payment using gift vouchers that would replace the current Microsoft Points system used to buy games through the Xbox.
If Microsoft does launch the new Xbox as a smart all-in-one set top box, it will give it the jump on Apple which is rumoured to be working on it’s own Apple iTV.
Before he died, Steve Jobs envisioned a new TV interface that would work with all devices and iCloud content and be the “simplest user-interface you could imagine".
Last month analsyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets predicted the the "iTV" would be a 60-inch screen which viewers would control with an "iRing".
One thing that seems certain about the launch of the new Xbox next week is that Microsoft will show off the actual console.
Back in February, Microsoft's Xbox Live programming director Larry Hryb mocked the launch of the Sony PlayStation 4 where the focus was on the games rather than the hardware.
"Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach," Hryb tweeted.

Battle of the boxes

Sony PlayStation 4: Expected to be released by Christmas. The PlayStation 4 will have a new games controller with a light for player identification and an emphasis on social media and extended play features through smart phones.

Microsoft Xbox: Expected to be called the Infinity. Most industry writers expect it to have similar hardware to the PS4 but with a new Kinect motion sensing controller built in.

Apple iTV: It has the potential to be Apple’s game changing device, just as the iPhone and iPad were before it. But whether its fact or fiction, Apple as always is not talking except for the odd hint. Back in December, CEO Tim Cook called TV "an area of intense interest".

Thought this made for interesting reading.
xbs

Re: XBOX INFINITY

Post by xbs »

Xbox one is a scrappy name compared to ps4.
Why don't they name it just Xbox?
Skins: SLik JX720 MS_Redux Mosaic
Utils: HeXEn
github.com/xbs08/
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Silly name. Have microsoft really not noticed that everyone has been referring to the first Xbox as the "Xbox 1" for years. Now there is going to be lots of confusion.
asbo

Post by asbo »

BuZz wrote:Silly name. Have microsoft really not noticed that everyone has been referring to the first Xbox as the "Xbox 1" for years. Now there is going to be lots of confusion.
Exactly! to find original xbox stuff on ebay etc. I often search for xbox1 and find things, so that's ruined now :lol:
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Yep, confusing. I'd say they don't know and don't care :-) .
But yeah, I would've expected something with more oomph. Maybe someone at MS felt melancholic about the old Xbox...
OR, maybe they meant it as go back (x86, all black) and make the Xbox they wanted to do in the first place but couldn't at the time? :-)

Pretty good though, at least according to this article.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
RoyalX

XBOX One

Post by RoyalX »

"Microsoft has unveiled the new Xbox, and it's called Xbox One"

Man!! Couldn't they find a different name for it.
The first xbox is already been known as xbox1 or xbox phat
On the search engines now when you type xbox one, you will get both of them.

I guess they named it xbox one because this is the one for them and also because of the TV features.
But haven't seen a remote yet. I know it can be voice activated, but still a remote is handy.
xbs

Post by xbs »

It's a smart move to walk away from the 'game mode' and into 'entertainment mode' because that's where the hype and money is now.
I hope they don't mess up and deliever a great product that serves both the gamer and the media fans.
NOT being compatible with 'old' Xbox 360 games isn't a good start IMO.
github.com/xbs08/
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

xbs

Post by xbs »

LOL
They just want what everyone wants... your money.
github.com/xbs08/
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Holy crap, that's an angry customer you don't wanna disappoint! :-)

Just watched the reveal / launch and I think it was pretty good - I get it, gamers were dissapointed it wasn't more about games, but it was said before that E3 it'll be for that. From what I've seen at the end with COD Ghosts and the technical presentation earlier, I think that showed what games will look like which to me that was pretty exciting. I doubt MS is not aware that games / gamers are the ones producing the hype around the console itself and I'm confident they won't dissapoint at E3.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/hub/reveal?CI ... 2013_71501
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Who ever styled it should be shot, absolutely no creativity at all - just looks like a dvd player.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
evan_almighty

Post by evan_almighty »

Now that's the funniest thing I've seen all weekend!
I think I'll stick with my XBox 1 for now, which with the help of all you guys on xbmc4xbox.org.uk seems to play media and TV quite well.
Did I mention it plays "TV"? lol!
Oh and it plays games and TV too! ;-)
tamsman

Post by tamsman »

bigkidoz wrote:Who ever styled it should be shot, absolutely no creativity at all - just looks like a dvd player.
I couldn't agree more. But it looks more like a old Beta Max Player. Down right ugly.
Geeba

Post by Geeba »

Reminded me of a NES with a black paint job.... stupid... Stupid ... STUPID name! :shock:
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I think they have planed the sytling like that so it so to not over power the older generation that will hopefully buy it for the media capibilities and use it for skype and interactive stuff as well as a br and dvd player, I think it was a smart design chioce in that respect but for the gamers it is not flashy and wow it is a bit plain fo me.

i do hope they add an internal expansion for a tv or sat tuner but I doubt it.
but i can see the name will cause confusion and was really a silly idea but on a plus we are back to x86 and it does open it up for a native port of xbmc in the future from a linux expliot.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

PJ , do you reckon there is just pc hardware in that ugly box ? I havent seen any specs released yet , i really think they should have kept the "Xbox720" name.
professor_jonny

bigkidoz wrote:PJ , do you reckon there is just pc hardware in that ugly box ? I havent seen any specs released yet , i really think they should have kept the "Xbox720" name.
it is said to be an x86 based with 8 core 8gig's of esram which require no referesh like current edram as it is logic latch based not capicator based.

it has a possibly custom modified combined ati 7600 video chipset south/north bridge but it is not known what engine it runs on probally some new direct x or some sort of implementation of it.

it wont be just pc hardware it will be a custom unit with most likely a bga soldered processor to cut costs.

it all points to a graphics card and cpu in a different package as i cant see ati and intel working nicely and putting it in the same package outline. bare bones it will be a pc at heart with a custom smc and major chips like the original xbox eliminating the possibility for running a mainstream os on it out of the box.

below is an internal picture and it looks like ati and intel did play nice :-)

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadge ... 60x440.jpg
From WIRED

Always Online?

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.

more info here:
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthre ... ew-Console
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Well i dont like the sound of any of that, wont be on my shopping list til its been hacked.
xman

Post by xman »

Could be like the Ultra Violet DVD discs were the user has a code. No code, no go. All userdata would be stored on "The Cloud" including the required number. the number is set to that on the disc so only only user at a time unless the cloud data is altered to allow more users. As for a media player, I suppose that means MS's choices on what media types as normal, you know, the ones no one uses if they have a choice. :(
professor_jonny

media wise you will prity much be able to do any thing you like as it runs a version of windows that devs can just make normal apps for it.
Windows ones wont just copy on they have to be recompiled and copied on it looks like it will open it up to homebrew with out the need of being hacked but we dont know how locked down the processor or gpu will be and if it were possible to do 3d rendering and do some hardware banging.

we will see in time i guess :-) but native games seem to have some drawbacks not to mention no backwards compatibility what so ever and none planed in the future and all your xbla and downloads wont work from your 360 :-(