Why does this happen? Any help??

XBOX, but not XBMC4XBOX related discussion
the great potato

Why does this happen? Any help??

Post by the great potato »

Just a quick question about burning a back up game, I ripped my game to Hdd on my Pc, the game works fine if i FTP it to the HDD of the Xbox but if i burn it to a DVD disk, it reads as a game but wont boot the game.. anyone know whats up with that? i backed up a few games i got and out of them all, all of them worked but two of them, they both play off HDD but not off disk, is there something that needs done or is it the nature of the beast? any help would be really cool, thanks guys ! :mrgreen:
The Cake Is A Lie!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Why does this happen? Any help??

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Typical disc media incompatibility issue.

If you burned them on DVD-R they should all work and I'd think it being some issue with the DVD drive hardware. But if you burned them on different media (even the brand can make a difference) then that is probably the cause.

Pickiest disc drives are the Philips and Samsung 605F.
the great potato

Hmmm would this depend on the game ad well? All the games were backed up with the same dvdrs and the same burner. An asus burner but off hand i dont know the model. Would trying to burn it again or a few times possibly make a working one? I guess if it was the disk... Does anyone know how to fit enter the matrix in disk as well? According to the size of the game vs disk it says its only 2 mb to big, overburn, wont burn and turndicat burns the game but it wont load. Might have to buy a few 8.5 gb disks for one back up lol
The Cake Is A Lie!
Coldly-Indifferent

For those games larger than 4.37GB you'll need to use dual layer media/burning.

Never done this myself so can not advise.

What disc drive is your Xbox fitted with: found in XBMC (I)Information. It'll either be Thomson, Samsung, Philips or Hitachi?

You can also identify it using the tray design:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxs2o3u22K4

relevant part is at 7'.
the great potato

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:31 pm For those games larger than 4.37GB you'll need to use dual layer media/burning.

Never done this myself so can not advise.

What disc drive is your Xbox fitted with: found in XBMC (I)Information. It'll either be Thomson, Samsung, Philips or Hitachi?

You can also identify it using the tray design:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxs2o3u22K4

relevant part is at 7'.
my xbox has a philips dvd drive, it originaly had a thomson but i got a philips for it like 16 years ago.
The Cake Is A Lie!
Coldly-Indifferent

Philips is the most picky and, from my own experience, its age can effect compatibility. My Philips drive is in a used Xbox I bought years ago and it had clear evidence of wear and tear. It is the only disc drive I have which when I tested all the drives I own produced inconsistent results and was sensitive to the burning speed and software.

Sometimes it would read a particular disc sometimes it would not. I even had problems with DVD-R until I, carefully, cleaned the laser lens. The Xbox, judging from the smell, had come from a smoking household, and there was a distinct yellow nicotine/tar build up on the lens which trapped dust, fluff and hairs. When all that was cleaned off the Philips performed more reliably but still did not like anything but DVD-R.